Monday, September 10, 2007

Help with Snake Identification...anyone? anyone?

Random topic, I know. But the fact remains that I am at once morbidly afraid of and strangely fascinated by snakes.

Yesterday, when returning to Maputo from our fabulous beach holiday at Ponta Malongane (more on the adventures later), we passed by a large snake that had been run over by a car.

Obviously I asked to stop and take a picture. Even from the safety of the car I got the heebie-jeebies and a mad rush of adrenaline when we rolled down the window to get better photos of the snake. Something about seeing its scales and slick-looking body without a pane of glass in front of my face made me freak out.

As if that weren't bad enough, after I took my photo the snake's head moved and its mouth opened. We debated about whether the movement was simply nerve-driven (like a chicken that continues to run about once it's head has been chopped off), or if the snake was in fact still half-alive and suffering.

We had a discussion in the car and decided that the most humane thing would be to run over the snake again, as it was definitely injured beyond the point of hope and none of us were stupid enough to even consider handling a wild snake (to get it to a veterinarian or a zoo or something, I suppose, but even writing it sounds wildly insane). So the driver went in reverse a couple of times and I choked back the urge to scream.

Anyhow, the point of all this is to say that I am obsessively curious as to what type of snake was in the dirt road. I want to know its scientific and common names, confirm to myself whether or not it is poisonous, etc. I spent over an hour last night googling all the images I could find of snakes in Southern Africa to no avail. I was able to rule out a couple of families (this thing is definitely not an adder, a boomslang or, I am virtually certain, a cobra) but I was unable to find any photos that even resemble its head shape.

Basically this is a call for help from anyone reading this who might have expertise in snake identification. Do you know what this thing is??

Snake found at sunset on dirt road near Boane, some 80km outside Maputo, Mozambique. Snake is approximately 1.5 meters long and quite thick. Light grayish-tan body with dark speckles. Lighter underbelly. Tail darker than body, nearly black. Area was mostly open savannah-type landscape, with lots of acacia trees, low scrub and a couple of rivers nearby.

While you're at it, what about this snake Rico and I came across on our road trip 2 years ago from Maputo to Chimoio? (If you click on the photo you can get a zoomed image)

Snake found in mid-afternoon on dirt road near Inchope, Sofala Province, Mozambique. Snake was easily at least 2 meters long. Light grayish body with lighter underbelly. Little to no markings. Jaw and head protrude from line of body. Area was mostly forested, with some patches of open bush.

I have a guess on this second one. I am virtually convinced it is a Black Mamba. I wish the photo I'd taken were better quality. The color seems about right (Black Mambas are named for the dark inside of their mouth, not their outer skin color) and the snake's head and jaw are pronounced in a way that resembles the characteristic coffin-shaped head of the mamba.

Guesses, anyone??

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali,
Paul here, met you at Jenny's party the other day; Will try to get my snake people on this one. Must admit that I share your fear and morbid fascination of the critters; not to mention a half dozen other things. It's very reassuring reading your posts as I find that I often feel the same way, e.g. the pull to be as far away from extended family and the bouts of 'why, what's the point' homesickness for places to call 'home'. Anyway, it's Monday and I don't feel like working.
- paul

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Paul - Thanks for the help with the snakes. I agree, it is comforting to know that I'm not alone in the eternal debate about home/family/travel/etc. It was really nice to meet you, and by the way, congratulations - Jenny told me the happy news. :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's a black mamba but if you want to mail me the photo I can mail it to my mom and ask her to identify it. She's also petrified of snakes, but has a pretty good idea of which are which.

When I grew up there used to be a 'prize' for the labourer who brought the most dead snakes in. Seems terrible when you think about it now, but they were a real menace.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Ash - Thanks so much for the offer. I've just sent you both photos. I am anxious to hear what your mother's opinion is of these snakes.

Safiya Outlines said...

As the only time I see snakes is if I visit the zoo, the only advice I have to give is: Do not see "Snakes on a Plane"! It will not help you cope with snakes *shudder*.

Anonymous said...

From the shape of the head (although a bit smished)it looks like an un-hooded cobra. Just my 2 cents worth.
Dad

Catron said...

Reading your post this morning made me shudder. You know my feeling about snakes due to our mutual snake experience on Ilha Grande. I went camping this weekend in the Serra Negra (real camping...) and all I heard were stories about coral snakes, all of the animals up there that have died, what happens to you, etc. I could barely get to my tent at night or walk through the "mata" during the day, I still have the hebbie geebies.