Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Other Side

In the past 3 weeks I've enjoyed more of a social life than in the entire year and a half that I've lived in Mozambique. Seriously, there is nothing like a good group of girlfriends, even if some of them are only here temporarily and I invariably face having to say goodbye in a short few weeks.

This evening Jenny, Lacithecat and I went out for dinner and cocktails at Las Brasas, a really nice place that is, in my opinion, by far the best restaurant in Maputo. The restaurant has a bar attached, which is where we opted to spend the evening sitting in the loft above the main space, lounging in comfy sofas, sipping caipirinhas and wine and enjoying each other's company in one of the few places in town that plays music at an appropriate volume for conversation.

The highlight of the evening, apart from just being able to hang out with cool girls, was the food itself. We all ordered the same dish - Espetada de Mariscos - which is quite literal to its name and consists of king prawns, squid and fish skewered on an enormous sword, doused in lemon and salt, then grilled to perfection. The presentation of the meal is the best part. Not only do they use this fantastic skewer for cooking the seafood, they bring it all the way to your table. The girls got quiet a kick out of being served such a fine meal suspended on a vertical sword that looks as if it should be the weapon of choice for the heroine in Quentin Tarantino's next film.

It was all delicious, and it is nights like this that I am reminded of the things in Mozambique that are really wonderful. Cheap first-rate seafood, interesting people from all reaches of the world, and a development environment that challenges even the most jaded person to do some serious soul searching and question his or her role in it all.

These past few days have been intense. I've had a total of 2 crises in as many days, the kind of breakdowns where I sat on the floor sobbing unintelligebly holding Pria and Parceiro in my lap while Rico patiently listened on the other end of our Skype connection. The crises revolved around the following:

1. My health. I've been suffering from mysterious and debilitating allergy attacks for the last year and a half. Losing one day of each week to ill health is taking its toll on my quality of life, and I finally decided I must listen to what my body is telling me and take care of this imbalance. I went to a really cool alternative medicine clinic here in Maputo, and the doctor confirmed what I've suspected all along. My allergies are a physical manifestation of an emotional block from my past. Basically, to get well I must treat the physical symptoms, but more importantly the root cause of my distress. This will require some painful work on my part. I think I'm finally ready, but I've also had a gimpse of what awaits me. It's not pretty, but I am going to take it all on in the name of my physical and emotional health.

2. Procrastination. I've hit a major wall with NaNoWriMo. Not just writer's block, I haven't even been able to open the document for the past week. Writing just a few words of the story seems beyond any capabilities I have at this point. People keep asking how the book's coming along and, well, it's not. I had a breakthrough the other night while thinking about why it's so hard for me to write something that is supposedly enjoyable and of my own volition.

I had somewhat of an epiphany when I realized that by procrastinating, not being able to follow through on things that are important to me despite my best efforts, I am blocking myself from doing something truly brilliant with my life. It's kind of hard to explain.

I've always been blessed with the natural intelligence to put in relatively little effort and always come out with the best grade in the class, the proposal that gets funded, the most praised project, the highest honors. When I was in college, I'd fuck around for most of the semester and put off studying until the night before an exam, sometimes until the very morning I was supposed to take a test. I'd then buckle down, read the entire textbook, retain the information and write about it in a coherent enough way that not only would I pass the class, I'd get the highest grade of all my peers. I never put in the effort I witnessed in some of my classmates, the dilligent studying for an hour a day, day after day. I never was able to do that, nor did I need to. I would always pull through at the last minute and somehow manage to shine. Not only did this get me a 4.0 in college, it instilled in me the belief that behind the good grades and academic honors I was a fraud. I held my breath waiting to be found out.

This patter continued in my professional life. I'd put off working on a grant until the week before the deadline, despite the fact that I'd many times have months to prepare my proposal. When the pressure finally became too much, I'd hunker down and write furiously, designing program outcomes and writing convincing arguments for funding. The first grant application I ever wrote I managed to get 1.5 million dollars for the organzation I was working for at the time. I couldn't belive it. If only the funding organization or my bosses saw the bullshit that I knew was behind my smooth words. I felt as if I was constantly walking on eggshells and putting on a front, desperately wanting everyone to believe that I was a smooth professional when behind it all lay the truth - I was an illusionist, using lingustical smoke and mirrors to conceal the fact that I didn't *really* know the first thing about what I was doing. I've always known how to talk a strikingly convincing talk.

My whole life I've been able to get away with minimum effort, relatively speaking, with maximum results. In terms of efficiency it's great, but it comes with a terrible sense of guilt and impending doom. It also makes me feel like nobody understands me. Anytime I want to complain about how lazy I am, how I only dedicate a little part of myself to my work, how what I do doesn't even come close to what I know my personal capabilities are, the response I get from most people is that I am insane and that I should stop fishing for compliments. I mean, what on earth is the girl that gets all A's and had an admirable fundraising track record doing complaining about not being good enough?? After a while I learned to keep my mouth shut, lest I alienate all of my hard-working friends...

Last night it hit me - I procrastinate and don't put my best effort into so many things that are important to me: Nia, keeping in touch with friends and family, inumerous projects that have been abandoned midway, and most recently NaNoWriMo. The difference from my procrastination and half-assed yet stellar resulting efforts in school and work is that I don't have to answer to anyone for these personal pursuits. They are entirely mine. Mine to pursue, mine to accomplish, mine to judge. Or not. I don't have anything to prove, there are no merit marks or million dollar grants to be won. The only prize in the end is the journey itself, which may or may not result in a feeling of self-fulfillment at the end. The more I put things off and refrain from giving it my all, the more I keep myself from accomplishing something truly brilliant - by my own standards. I've said it before - I am ultimately the cause and the solution to all of the shortcomings I perceive in my life. Having this truly sink in is a stinging slap in the face.

NaNoWriMo is still unopened, but at least I feel better about it. I managed to write on the blog today, which is a big accomplishment, especially considering the subject matter. Now I'm trying to find the balance that feels right to me between respecting my natural work rhythm (erratic is an understatement) and making myself be dilligent and not procrastinate to the point that I feel it keeps me from fully realizing my dreams.

3) The final motive for my recent crises is uncertainty regarding my professional life, but this is old news. I am an artist at heart who unfortunately (or fortunately) discovered at an early age that she had a real knack for business. Now the challenge is how to find balance, that damn elusive state of being. It's not exactly straightforward, and the uncertainty regarding the details is quite overwhelming at times.

In the end I'm grateful that I finally broke down and let it all out. I feel immensely better today, with a renewed positive outlook on life and a slightly clearer vision for where my next steps must be to reach my goals.

Sometimes a good cry does wonders for the soul...then again, so do girlfriends, kittens, a loving family and an infinitely patient boyfriend!

17 comments:

theodysseia said...

far in the distance I look
my life full of things
dreams and tasks
I am alone
no one by my side
I think i am a liar
I think I am a cheater
I think life has abandoned me but yet not really
I think I want to deroute and
do nothing
guilt comes and surrounds me
like a cloud
makes my life dark and unhappy
I look in the distance
there is a new way
I am no liar anymore
I am a fighter
that fights on the way
I am a warrior
that needs to rest
rejuvenate
i dont need to prove myself
I know who I am
I am a fighter that
has fought and has won many fights
i need to rest
enjoy the sun
drink the wine
laze around
love and be loved
I need to rest and
find my energy
forget my routine
The sun is warm
I close my eyes
voices of the past
love yourself
..................

theodysseia said...

kisses from the other site of the world

Left-handed Trees... said...

Oh, Ali--I could feel what you were saying here! I am in the midst of a major health setback and it absolutely has emotional ties for me as well...procrastination is powerful. What's even more powerful is that you've figured out its role in your life and are looking at that. Good luck with sorting through it all...I know it isn't easy!
--D.--

JP (mom) said...

dear sweet Ali,
Damn girl, you coulda been penning my life as you wrote those words ... funny too as I've sat here and procrastinated on a grant proposal all day that's due Monday (I run a nonprofit!) ...but, I suppose, it's only because I know I can procrastinate & still turn out something brilliant.
Regarding the physical condition tied to your psyche ... I understand as well. Sometimes we have to "complete" something in our past in order to move forward.
Anyway, thank you for sharing such honest thoughts - very brave.
much peace & love, JP

Ali Ambrosio said...

~theodysseia - You're an artist at heart, too! Thanks for this poem, I'm touched that you went through the trouble to compose it here. Much love to you!

~left-handed trees - It is tough stuff to work through... I'm so glad that I found a clinic that recognizes and treats both the physical and emotional sides of ill health. Good luck in your recovery, too!

~Jane Poe - Cheers to a fellow proposal writer! What kind of nonprofit do you run? Sort of a mixed blessing this procrastination + brilliance thing, but at the end of the day I'll take whatever I can get.

Marcia Francois said...

Hi Ali

I think in the end you'll end up running a business doing your art (jewellery and whatever else you do). Follow your passion and the money will follow, you know?

BTW, in your archives I saw your drawing of the house opposite your flat and it is brilliant!

Oh, and by the way, I want to see your new haircut! You are braver than I am!

Susannah Conway said...

wow - as i read the words in my head i knew they were your words but, god, they could have been mine. I hear you, sister :-) it sounds like you are on the right track to cracking the code - hugs to you on your journey xo

Anonymous said...

You know, you must be one of the very few persons able to analyze yourself this good. I mean, you know you have problems, you know where they are. You just need to face them and fight them. Of course, I don't say it's easy. What I'm willing to say it's that you're halfway done.
You're strong Ali. And everybody needs their tears! Crying is not a weakness. And showing you're crying is a strength.

Hang in there! :D

Kristine said...

There was a huge part of me that could relate to what you said. I kept thinking about the idea of offering yourself value - viewing yourself as an investment. For instance, when I have a traditional job I give it 100% or more. I realized if I worked and attended school, work would get more effort as I put my own goals on the back burner. Somehow I'd made everything and everyone else more important.
Maybe a switch in thinking needs to occur. You may not be the fraud you think you are. It could be that you are simply not working up to the expectations you have for yourself. Even as I say that, I must say -- be careful that you nurture yourself instead of simply being your worst critic.
As for NaNoWriMo, I think that whole idea of writing 50,000 words in a month is a creativity crusher. I tried it last year and was paralyzed by the pressure. Then I felt bad and like a loser each day that I put it off, knowing my word count was growing with each missed day.
I am thinking of you and I know you will find your way. Be courageous. (Actually, you already are.)

Michelle said...

I read this weird thing once that described how someone who had multiple personalities had only one personality who had allergies. It makes you wonder.

I got a kick out of reading about your procrastination. I am like that as well, and usually coast along pretty well. However, it is not 4.0 well, which makes me wonder what I COULD have accomplished had I put my back into it. Well, it's never too late for either one of us to find out!! The sky is the limit!

JP (mom) said...

Dear Ali,

Nonprofit housing for homeless families ... going on 8 years now, but still lovin' it!

{hugs},
JP

Mimey said...

procrastination is my middle name. (Well it is similar, different letters and sounds, but you know..)

Try to feel good about the parts you did achieve, I know it's obvious and corny, and hard to take sometimes when you don't feel it inside, but really. You started the Nano, if you're not feeling it, then it's no failure to bail out, but there is somethign to be said for my approach, the writing utter nonsense until a plot emerges.

I am like you in that laziness/achievement thing. I have always wondered what I could've done if I had ever applied myself from the start. It's scary.

Be kind to yourself, I'm cheering for you!

Amber said...

Look at all your hard won insight! That is wonderful. I know it is not fun to see ourselves so clearly, sometimes. Most people don't bother.

Number one: I know you can do this. Yes, it is painful, but you have overcome pain in your past. You are now older and wiser than you were then, and so you can do this, even better. Here is what you do; Walk through it. That's it. Just go through it, feel it, let it be what it is, face it, deal with it. End it. Not fun, but the best way.

Number two: You sound so much like my husband. He is the same way. So brilliant that he skates by with miminal effort a lot of the time. He talsk such bullshit, that people think he is working and trying sooo hard. But it just comes easily to him. And then he has no feeling of accomplishment, because he hardly has to try.

The pressure that comes with being a truely amazing, smart, and talented person, can be hard. More is expected from you. What kind of pressure would there be, if you were to actually reach your potential? Your life an dyour light, is not ordinary. You are not ordinary.(I understand this, personally, in another way...) That is a lot of pressure.

I talked last week about setting myself up to be right, by setting myself up to fail by not trying hard enough. Maybe you have this idea of yourself, that you need to prove right? Like, that you never finish or try hard enough, and so you don't, and then you are right.

Number three: You MUST do what your soul is telling you to do. No matter how much it might seem odd, or at odds with your "accomplishing" self. Because it will ride you and chase you, until you do what your deeper self knows to be your calling. If you are not at peace, you are not in the right place. There is a saying, "No matter where you travel, or how far, there you are." Your true self will always be there, knocking to be let in.

I know you will figure it all out, lovely girl. I have faith in you.

ox :)

Alina said...

I don't know how exactly I overlooked this post...It expresses indeed a lot of my own feelings. I understand exactly how you feel. And about not having consequences to face for personal pursuites, I also blogged a bit about that. It's nice to stop feeling alone in all this! Anyway, for now, I have an article for a dream-job pending, books and a lot of learning to improve myself waiting around while I do nothing. But just for now, I decided I won't feel guilty about it anymore, as it just makes me feel bad, it does not make me start doing anything.

Ali Ambrosio said...

For some reason blogger stopped letting me on this comments page for the last couple of days. I wanted to say thank you for your responses and your support. It means so much to me to know that I'm not alone in this, that my procrastination is in good company, and that my self awareness is validated.

Thank you all. Your comments really touched me.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Ali! BlogSpirit has done th exact same thing with mine!!!! :|

Mike said...

First and foremost, I hope you are able to find relief from your ailments. The link between physical and mental well-being in both directions is certainly a distinct and important relationship.

The part about procrastination really struck home with me. I can relate to your words on far too many levels. Regretfully, I veered way offtrack for a few years due to the associated feelings and a self-destructive desire to prove to everyone offering praise that it was unwarranted. Thankfully I have found a path that holds more promise and I guess to a degree created the challenges I needed to find focus.

Regardless, I wish you the best traversing this thing we call life. I am enjoying the reflections that your blog is generating. Thanks and cheers!! :)