Monday, November 06, 2006

Girl's Night!

On Friday evening I organized a dinner party, my first time hosting any type of social function in our flat here in Maputo. Prior to Friday, I'd been unwilling to have people over because for quite some time I was embarrassed about the condition of our flat (i.e. no furniture and a generally unkempt, non-homey aspect). I also didn't have any friends to invite over for a cocktail or a meal.

In several short months, much has changed. While still simple, the flat is much more welcoming and feels increasingly like a home. The terracotta accent wall Rico and I painted really does so much for the whole feel of the flat. Also, I've managed to find a lovely group of girlfriends to hang out with. Two of them I already knew were coming - L. from Belgium who moved here together with her boyfriend, and J. who was born and raised in Brasil but from an Armenian family - as they'd found me on the blog and we'd been exchanging e-mails for several months. The other two girls are short-term consultants with TechnoServe, a local nonprofit business development firm, and are American. Interestingly enough they also found me through the blog! Unfortuantely the TechnoServe girls leave in December, while L. and J. are here for the long haul just like me.

I invited everyone over for a dinner party, a small gathering for the people that have a connection to my blog. It was such a lovely evening. I made all sorts of salads as the weather has been unmercifully hot and humid lately. We had wine, and J. brought 2 cakes that the cats managed to get into and knock off the counter while we were having the main course. We managed to save the dessert, though, and enjoyed it even though the frosting was totally smushed.

A funny part of the evening came after dinner when the subject of this post came up. Of course, since all the girls found me through the blog, they'd read this appetizing description of what I permit in my kitchen. I assured them all that my standards for what I eat and for what I serve others are radically different. I'd never dream of putting out fruit or any other food item that had been even potentially contaminated.

It was a great evening, and I look forward to hanging out with these girls many times in the coming months. I realized once everyone had gone home around 1am that I'd neglected to take any pictures. That's okay. I hope this becomes a regular event in our lives, where I can take photos any time I please.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodie, girl stuff! :P
I enjoy having friends over, not only for dinner, just "like that" as well as I enjoy being lonely sometimes...
Arg! Never satisfied ;)
Great you started "living" ;)

Alina said...

Sounds like an amazing girls' party, Ali! Hope you guys get to do that as often as possible.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

sounds like a delightful evening! i love those evenings full of good food, good wine, and good conversation. hope you make it a frequent event!

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

Every friday, 4 girls meet in Paris in each others houses, each week in a different one.

And it's always so nice because we are all tired of work/school and we chat, laugh, and just think about being happy and girlie :)

Beijos!

sara said...

Hi Ali, I'm so glad that you have some girlfriends that you can hang out with and cook for. It sounds like a lot of fun -- I wish I had some more girlfriends here in MI. Oddly enough, I consider most of my girlfriends to be "blog friends!" If only I could have you all over and cook for you and drink wine.

Anyway, c'est la vie -- enjoy!

JP (mom) said...

Ooooh, what fun! Good for you!

Kristine said...

This sounds like it was a good time. I am happy for you plus I just think it is fun to be able to entertain in your own home.

paris parfait said...

Sounds like a really fun evening with good friends! I had missed the papaya post the first time around, so thanks for the link. I remember what that's like from Middle East days, not being able to find certain fruits and vegs. And I'm well-acquainted with cockroaches from my NYC days - only way to get rid of them is with boric acid powder sprinkled around the floorboards and edges of counters. But that might be a problem with the kitties.

Bart Treuren said...

what a lovely, blog inspired way of spending an evening... i was warmed by your cheery writing and hoping the NaNoWriMo will help to continue that :D

Lacithecat said...

As a lucky participant, I have to say it was a lovely evening and Ali the perfect host! We must do this at least once again before I head out. Too bad I can't use my hotel's kitchen.