Tuesday, October 24, 2006

La Fruta Bomba*

Ways I know living in Africa has forever changed me:

This evening I arrived home late after a big meeting and decided to whip together a smoothie for dinner using the blender I got for my birthday. Papayas are in season right now and I'd bought a large one last week that I needed to use up. I also decided to throw in a banana (always in season), some fruit yogurt and soy milk. All the fixings for a healthy, nutritious meal.

I'd already used half of the papaya in a smoothie the other day, and had stored the remaining half, complete with seeds, wrapped in aluminum foil in the refrigerator. I got out the rest of the papaya and was removing the foil when a larger than usual cockroach crawled across the counter right next to my hand. I got the vague impression that it came from inside the papaya, but I figured that was impossible so I went on ahead and started scooping out the seeds. To my horror, another smaller cockroach crawled out from inside the fruit and made its way towards the rind, away from my scraping spoon. I quickly snubbed out both cockroaches with my finger (remember my admission in an earlier post about this?) and thought for a moment about what to do.

Now if you've ever seen a papaya you know it's full of strange black seeds that look somewhat like fish eggs. There are also tons of them inside the cavity of each fruit. Really, it's a pretty plausible idea that cockroaches could be living inside that jumble of slippery seeds. I drew the papaya right up to my face and started inspecting. As far as I could tell, there were no signs of movement, no nasty cockroach eggs masquerading as innocuous seeds, and certainly no dead insects - at least none that were readily visible.

What a dilemma.

I looked at the blender with all the other smoothie ingredients inside, just waiting to be mixed into deliciousness. I really like papaya in my smoothies, and they are only available during a short window each year (just like every other yummy fruit in Mozambique - no year round stocking in supermarkets here, folks) so I wanted to take advantage. Plus, I hated the thought of throwing out perfectly good fruit, especially since I live in a country full of people that go hungry and I'm on a tight budget myself. On the other hand, there was a high probability that not one but *two* cockroaches had been hanging out inside the papaya just moments before. Perhaps there were more in there that I couldn't detect...

Dear readers, I'd like to tell you that it was a difficult decision for me to make. It wasn't. I thought "What the hell - I'm sure I've eaten worse things!" and scooped the papaya into the blender and pulsed away. My smoothie was delicious, possible extra protein and all.

Had this incident taken place back in Austin, I'd have certainly thrown out not only the papaya, but all the fruit in my kitchen just in case. How things change...

*In Cuba and throughout much of the Caribbean, papayas are referred to as "fruta bomba" because "papaya" is a slang word for a woman's lady bits. The name supposedly comes from the fact that all those nasty little black seeds will explode out of the papaya if it is thrown or dropped from a significant enough height.

12 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Wow, I need to give you a desi card for that maneuver. Totally old school, my parents pull shit like that.

Kristine said...

Hmmmmmm....
I am not as grossed out as I thought I'd be. I grew up with cockroaches and we were simply killing them left and right and washing everything we ate really well ( in case they'd been crawling on whatever it was - like apples or oranges - fruit sitting out... I understand your dilemma and yet like you said, it's not like here in the US where we toss food away without a second thought...

Bilal said...

Hey there!
Really like your blog:)
Thanks for linking me:)

Mimey said...

I remember reading, I'm not sure which time of human suffering and want, holocaust probably, that bugs in the flour and so on were not a bad thing at all, but, as you say, very necessary extra protein.

I threw out the entire contents of my cupboard about six weeks ago because of bugs in my flour. Seeing your food move independently is not a pleasant sight. But I agree, my reaction is a symptom of my comfy Western existence.

And frankly, I've always felt the only difference between roaches and shrimps is the level of salt ;-)

(and I don't eat either in my cushy privileged existence, although I once strained the fruit flies out of a bottle of wine I'd been decanting: you see my priorities?)

deedee said...

I have been changed in the same way, after living in the middle of sugar cane fields on the big island of hawaii. For a few months, I fought the bugs, then I just learned to live with them. When possible, I cut out the buggy parts and keep on a eatin'.

Left-handed Trees... said...

This was so interesting to me! I don't have a "bug in the food" story--guess I need to live a little more first...but, we never kill bugs--just "move them" outside again when they wander in. My boy-o has had a GIANT spider in his room for three days now. When I saw it initially and said, "Oh, we can put him outside, I'll get the cup." He interrupted, "No, Mom...I like him." So he has stayed...as for your cockroach, a little extra protein never killed anyone, right?

Anonymous said...

Oh my....well, just wondering. Did you detect a certain extra tastiness in the smoothie?

No papayas here in Morocco - missing them desperately, cockroaches and all...

alphawoman said...

Hmmm...I'm not sure what I would have done. But I'm with you, I am certain I have eaten grosser things and not (thankfully) known it.

kanuthya said...

Chances are this kind of choice will prevail even when you leave Africa :) This reminded me of a lunch a good friend of my mother's prepared for us + some other friends. I arrived early and she was preparing the salad. Nowadays she has a lot of money, but years before she was in a war scenario, and basically lived in the woods. When she was going to add the vinegar I noticed it had several minuscule insects floating there. She proceeded very naturally, smilling at me and said it was ok, just extra protein. I had some trouble eating the salad, shame on me, but then, even when I went through really hard times I was always picky :( My grandfather was the wise one when he said that if there are bugs in a fruit, it only means that the fruit is excelent and without pesticides.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~monkey - Sweet! I love feeling legitimately 3rd world. Interestingly, I don't think my parents pull stuff like this. Or at least they've hidden it well if they do...

~kristine - I used to be pretty grossed out by cockroaches which is why the fact that they don't bother me now is so amazing. I still hate the huge flying ones they have in Brasil, though.

~Bilal - Sure thing, I enjoy reading your blog as well.

~jemima - I don't think I'll be able to eat shrimp again without this lovely comparison springing to mind.

~meredith - It's really the way to go, isn't it? I used to throw out entire pieces of fruit because of one little mushy spot or worm hole. Ridiculous!

~left-handed trees - I admire your bug policy. I'd really like to be able to follow something like that here, but the problem is that I must kill things like mosquitoes because they pose such a health threat (malaria - and I don't take the preventive pills so I must be extra careful). I also kill cockroaches right and left. I hope I'm not doomed in my next life!

~Maryam - Whether it was from the extra protein or not, my smoothie was delish! I imagine you have all sorts of good fruit in Morocco that we don't here - dates, for example.

~Alphawoman - I shudder to think about all the nasty stuff I've surely eaten over the years...

~Kanuthya - I used to be pretty picky, too. This change has definitely come about in Africa. Even living in Brasil didn't do it. I think you're right about the habit sticking with me even after I leave MZ.

--jenna said...

Yum. I store my flour in the fridge to cut down on the bugginess, I have washed food I thought might be bad and then done a second smell test afterwards (water washes off rot, right?), not turned green at picking worms (and worse) out of my spinach...but voluntarily eaten possible cockroached papaya? Not yet. I am in awe of you!!! Thanks for the iron notes, btw:)

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say that I found it hilarious! It would have been a tough call for me because I'm a major fruitophile, but I've also had some bad experiences with cockroaches (one involving a squat toilet on the outskirts of Hanoi).