Thursday, October 12, 2006

About La Vida of La Loca

This is part one of an as-yet-to-be-determined number of question and answer sessions about me, my life and the stories that come up on this blog. I hope this fills in some of the blanks.

Why is your blog called "Austin to Africa, Brasil to the Bay"?

Because these are 4 significant places in my life, especially considering the reason I started writing here in the first place. When I started this blog in April 2005 I was living in Austin, Texas. I'd just accepted an offer to move to Mozambique to work with a couple of my old friends from business school at a consulting firm they'd started the year before. Before actually moving to Africa, I took a month to hang out in Brasil, a place that is near and dear to my heart. The final part of the title refers to the San Francisco Bay Area where my mom currently lives, and where I think there's a good chance I may move at some point as well.

So what was the reason you started this blog?

To keep in touch with friends and family during my time here in Africa. Basically a blog was the easiest way to let people know how I was doing without having to write mass e-mails. I never expected a blog to lead me to such an interesting community of artists and writers, nor did I anticipate the desire it would light in me to write about and share my past experiences.

Where are you from originally?

Albuquerque, New Mexico.

What is your connection to Brasil?

When I was 15 I decided to go on a year-long student exchange. I can't quite explain my motivations, but part of me just knew that greater things were waiting outside the comfort of my own home. I looked at the catalog of all the destinations where you could choose to study and decided on my top 3: Brasil, Hong Kong and Venezuela. There was something about Brasil that fascinated me and I was thrilled when I got my top choice and was placed with a Japanese-Brasilian host family in Maringá, a city of about 400,000 in the southern state of Paraná.

I had such an amazing year abroad that when I finally had to return home to the US, I dedicated most of my time and energy to finding a way to get back to Brasil. I would spend every spare dollar on plane tickets and managed to go back at least 9 times over the following 2 years. It was almost like I'd never left Brasil!

In my second year at the University of New Mexico I decided to study abroad again, this time at a business school in Rio de Janeiro that had an exchange agreement in place with my college. At that point multiple Brasilian students had come to UNM on exchange, but no American students had gone down to the school in Rio. I was the first one!

In January 2000 I moved to Rio and kicked off the best year and half exchange I could have ever hoped for. I studied Marketing at IBMEC, one of the country's best business schools, and in the process met a group of guys that would have a significant impact on my life several years down the road.

Don't you have a house in Brasil? How do you manage it since you're obviously not living in Rio?

Right before I finished my second exchange in Brasil, I discovered this fabulous pink villa from 1910 for sale in the heart of my favorite neighborhood, Santa Teresa. I went to the open house and fell in love, but at that point it was basically an impractical dream to have a house like that in Brasil.

Then, in a sad but serendipitous turn of fate, my grandfather passed away in New Mexico the month before I was supposed to leave. My mom and I discussed the details of the inheritance and I proposed to her the possibility of using it to buy the pink house in Rio. She asked me to put together a presentation detailing the positive and negative points of my proposal as if it were a real business deal. I did, and managed to convince her that it was a sound investment, if nothing else from a financial perspective because the Brasilian Real had just crashed to 1/3 of its previous value that very same month. After some significant jumping through hoops, the pink house, or casa rosa as it's now known, was ours!

That was over 6 years ago. The original plan was for me to go live in the house as soon as I'd finished my MBA. Well, that didn't happen but we are able to manage because we have a very responsible live-in housekeeper that looks after everything in our absence. In fact, in an illustration of how small the world is, the person who looks after the house used to be B.'s nanny.

Who is B.?

B. was my best friend and classmate when I was living in Rio. We lost touch about a year after I moved back to the US, then randomly ran across each other one day on Orkut (Google's social networking site) while I was living in Austin. About a week later B. called me and filled me in on his life.

In 2003 he went to Mozambique as a volunteer for an organization that works with smallholder farmers in the Chimoio area. While on assignment, B. realized there was a huge opportunity for consultants in the country (lots of foreign investment and donor projects going on, but no qualified people to put together proposals and do fundraising) so he decided to stay. Along with a couple of partners, B. started a consulting company and convinced both me and Ricardo to come work with him in Mozambique.

How did you meet Ricardo?

We were classmates at the business school in Rio. We went on a couple of dates and there was definitely some chemistry, but we didn't have a relationship back then and ended up losing touch when I left Brasil. Ricardo moved to Mozambique a year before I did, and I only got back in touch with him via e-mail while trying to arrange the details of my trip to Africa. He picked me up at the airport when I arrived here for the first time, and our romantic relationshipas well as our professional one began from there.

That's the basic way we met. I want to save the details for another post because it's a great story.

So you and Ricardo didn't move to Mozambique as a couple?

No, thank God. I think I would have really resented him if we'd moved to Mozambique together, especially if I'd "followed" him here. Our relationship is a uniquely African happening.

Where is Ricardo from?

Rio de Janeiro.

Why do you call him Rico?

That's the nickname his family and close friends call him. Thankfully it's not pronounced like "Rrrrrrico, Suuuuave!" You actually say it like "Hee-Koo" because in Brasilian portuguese you say the 'R' at the beginning of a word as if it were an 'H'.

I had a hard time making the transition. Now I only call him Ricardo when we're in a business situation or if I'm frustrated with him about something.

What language do you and Ricardo speak at home?

Portuguese. He speaks fluent English, but since we met in a Portuguese-speaking context, it's actually really weird to speak anything else to each other.

What kind of work do you do?

Fundraising for local businesses and investment projects in Mozambique. A typical job goes like this:

A client hires us to help him/her get money to start a business, expand an existing business or get grant funds to support a project. I sit down with the client and get as much information as possible about the company or project idea. I then write a business plan that tells the client's story in a compelling enough way that a bank or donor will hopefully be convinced to invest.

What are B. and Ricardo's role in the business?

Ricardo is the front man of the company and deals with all the clients. He is responsible for negotiating our contracts and resolving any disputes that may arise. B. is an Excel whiz and does the financial modeling for all of the projects we work on.

How long have you lived in Mozambique?

Almost 1.5 years.

How long will you stay there?

We don't know for sure at this point. It's very probable that we'll be here for another 2 years. Rico and I want to save up enough money before we leave Africa so that we'll be able to cover our living expenses for at least 6 months wherever we decide to move next. This may take a while...

So what is next for you?

Also have no idea at this point. We may go back to the US so that Rico can get an MBA. We may move to Italy for a year to be with my grandmother. We may go back to Brasil. Or we might end up in some random place like Dubai or Moscow for all I know.

------------------------------

What else do you want to know? Ask away and I shall answer.

24 comments:

Ali Ambrosio said...

~la vie -

It's funny, I really didn't have many fears about moving to Africa. I think everyone else took care of that one for me.

I was mildly concerned about malaria, but read so much about the disease that I was comfortable with my decision not to take preventive drugs, just use repellent.

I guess I was also afraid of getting to the airport and having nobody to pick me up, then having some sort of disaster as I tried to nagvigate the city on my own.

About the holidays, there are tons of them here, generally associated with important days in the struggle for independence or the peace process after the civil war. Commemorating usually involves a day off work, a drive to the beach, a drink at the bar. The usual holiday stuff. They get really into Christmas here, but it never feels like Christmas to me as long as it's in the middle of summer. I miss Thanksgiving. So far I've not come across a really unique holiday tradition here...

Something I totally love about Africa is the lack of variety and the fact that I spend a lot less time worrying about what brand of toothpaste to choose, where to eat lunch, what kind of gas to put in the car, which cute dress to buy. There is something very appealing about having only one or two choices on the supermarket shelf. You get used to doing without, to being creative, to improvising. And you find that you don't really need all that STUFF in the first place. Life is very simple.

Of course this is one of the things that also drives me mad about living in Africa.

Another thing I love is to watch women balance these unbelievable loads of oranges or plastic jugs filled with water on top of their heads as if it were no big deal. You don't see that every day in the US.

Amber said...

I want to know why you chose business as a major? Why not something in Art, or along more creative lines?

:)

Kristine said...

You have lived such a rich life!
Happy Birthday to you!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~amber -

This is a question I ask myself a lot, too!

For my undergrad I got a double major in Latin American Studies and Portuguese. I loved what I studied, it was an easy and enjoyable degree to get. And when I finished, I was like, "Well what do I do now?" I didn't want to be in academia, didn't want to teach, and didn't really see that many other options with what I'd studied.

Also, I was 20 when I finished college, so I had some time on my hands. I decided to get an MBA for a couple of reasons:

1) the exchange program with the school in Rio was for business majors. I could either study in Rio and not be able to transfer back any of my credits, or I could pre-apply for my MBA program and use my business classes to knock out all of my prerequisites.

2) at the time I admittedly didn't love studying business. But I knew that in the end, an MBA was a degree that would open doors for me professionally speaking, and that would allow me to earn a higher salary.

I actually didn't work in business until moving to Africa. While living in Austin I was the director of an HIV/AIDS prevention program (where I was also doing fundraising for their programs in genenral). Most of my jobs had been in Public Health, and I was actually considering going back to school to get a degree in that area. Then the Mozambique opportunity came up, and I jumped. I can honestly say I have no regrets...

Also, I never was really this into art before coming to Africa. I would make jewelry and knit, but only for my own benefit or to give as gifts around the holidays. This is the first time I've ever sold any of my crafty things.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~kristine - Thank you so much for the birthday wishes!

Alina said...

Ali, reading this just makes me wanna pack my bags and start something new in a far away country :)Seriously now, I guess I would like some months spent working somewhere like that to just taste the experience. But I do have school and K here, so it's quite impossible right now. But who knows maybe after graduation I will reward myself with a short trip to Africa :)

Anonymous said...

Ali querida!!!!!!
Feliz aniversario!!!!te desejo mta saude,alegrias, realizacoes e sucesso.
Amiga, vc eh uma pessoa maravilhosa,merece tudo e mais um pouco!!!
beijos e boa festa!!!!
Saudades!!!!
Gx

Toni M Photography said...

Happy Birthday Ali!

Best Wishes for a great day! I hope that you get all that wished for and more,

Cheers Toni

Masood Ahmed said...

Across Indian Ocean there lives a girl who is celebrating her birthday today. I wish her a happy and memorable birthday.Happy Birthday to you ALI.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Alina - It's hard for the circumstances to be just right for a move to another country. That's part of the reason why I jumped at the opportunity to move to Mozambique. Before coming here I was single, didn't really love my job, and had no reason to stay in Austin.

I do hope you come visit one of these days - it would be such an exciting blogger meet-up!

~Gaby - Querida, muito obrigada. Pode deixar que vou comemorar muito hoje, provavelmente com um bom vinho e frutos do mar. To com saudades!

~Toni - Thanks so much for the nice birthday wishes. I have a feeling this is going to be a great year...

~masd - Thank you. Tonight I will probably have dinner at one of my favorite restaurants here in Maputo. It is right in front of the Indian Ocean!

deedee said...

Bon anniversaire. You've lived quite an interesting life. Where does your sense of adventure come from? Did your family travel a lot when you were a child?

Left-handed Trees... said...

As a new reader, I have also been appreciating these recent posts! I am wondering about your creative life. How did you get into knitting, jewelry making, etc.? What is your actual process? *I've seen some of the pieces you've posted--beautiful!* Do you have a clear vision of what the jewelry will look like before you begin or does it evolve as you go?

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Happy Birthday today!! I was waiting until your actual birthday to say it!

(hope Rico's mom feels better and gets home soon, I will respond to your email after my parents leave this weekend)

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy you blog. Take care of yourself and happiness. Leatrice

Amber said...

Happy Day You Were Born! I am happy the world was blessed with your soul!

:)

Mauricio said...

Feliz Aniversário!!!!!!

Aproveite bastante e tudo de bom :o)

Michelle said...

Well happy birthday!

I really enjoyed reading about your journey. I got a kick reading about "Rico" because when I went to Portugal, I was quite confident that I could use the dictionary to get around, since I was convinced that the language was basically the same as Spanish. Little did I know...no one understood a thing I said!

I always felt at a disadvantage in Spanish-speaking arguments with Sage's dad...I suppose you can hold your own!

Anonymous said...

A question (or challenge!), are you interested in the NaNoWriMo? I thought about giving it a shot this year, we never know! :P

PS: my father is in Maputo right now, visiting my sis-in-law and my nephew. I wish I was there so I could meet you!!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Meredith - Merci!

To answer your question, I think my childhood had a lot of influence on my view of international travel. My grandmother is Italian and my mom and I would go stay with her just about every summer for the first 10 years of my life. As a result, a life split between New Mexico and Europe was pretty normal for me.

The other big influencing factor was my mom's career. When I was growign up she worked as a money manager and had to travel all over the world to meet with clients. Not only was I used to her traveling ever month to places like Switzerland and Korea, many times she'd take me with her on the road as well. These experiences accompanying my mom (mostly around Europe) and watching first-hand how business was done in an international context definitely made the impression on me that this kind of lifestyle was interesting as well as accessible.

My sense of adventure certainly had a helping hand from my mom, but even so I'm doing things now that she looks at me and says, "Ali, I don't know if I'd ever be able to do what you're doing right now in Mozambique." A lot of the decisions I've made to actually live abroad are a step up from any kind of international lifestyle I may have seen modeled in my mom while growing up. I honestly don't know where the desire to really immerse myself in other cultures came from.

Interestingly, my dad is completely the opposite when it comes to lifestyles. He is a homebody, very content to live in a small town south of Albuquerque. He's lived in the same house for ages, eats at the same restaurants every week, plays poker every Friday with the same 3 guys and has to be seriously convinced to travel anywhere but Ohio (where he's from originally).

Ali Ambrosio said...

~left handed trees -

I've been crafty ever since I can remember. When I was in elementary school I'd save up my allowance and then have my mom take me to Michaels for a shopping spree on crafts. I'd buy puffy paint for t-shirts, rhinestones, beads and cloth to make bandanas, leather and silver clasps to make bolo ties. Crafts have always been a passion of mine.

My mom taught me to knit when I was young, but I didn't really get into it until 2 years ago. My dad had a heart attack (from which he recovered very well) and i'd gone to spend a few days with him after he'd gotten out of the hospital. Most of that trip was spent on the couch with my dad and step-mom watching tv. My step-mom is an avid knitter and crocheter, and I asked her to refresh my memory. That weekend I started knitting a red scarf and haven't stopped yarnwork since then.

I started making jewelry on a serious basis when I lived in Austin (3 years ago). I can't even remember what prompted me, but one day I stopped at a bead store on the way home from work and decided to start making jewelry. I asked the sales girl to get me all the supplies I needed, then went home and figured it all out. I've been addicted ever since. I even started doing lampworking that year, making my own glass beads with a blowtorch mounted on my kitchen table!

For as much as I enjoyed my crafts, I'd never done anything for sale or exposition. The first crafts fair I participated in was here in Maputo. Now I'm really hooked and looking for ways to make this a feasible side business. Who knows, it might even turn into my main business once I live in a place with a reliable postal system so that I can set up an online shop.

As for my creative process, most of the time the piece comes together as I work. I do have a design board and sometimes will lay out beads beforehand to get an idea of spacing or color combinations. But the majority of my jewelry comes together the way it wants to, not according to a vision of mine established before my hands hit the beads.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Monkey - Thanks for the birthday greetings. I'm glad to report that Rico's mom is doing really well and has pretty much been able to return to life as normal. It looks like he's on track to come home in December.

~Leatrice - Thanks so much for reading, girl. It's great to know that you are out there in Austin keeping up with my life half a world away. I miss you and wish you the very best, lots of health, happiness and love.

~Amber - Thank you! I had a great time celebrating.

~Maurício - Obrigada, foi um dia muito legal mesmo.

~Michelle - Yeah, I can totally hold my own in an argument or heated discussion about work strategy or something similar. It's nice to feel like the playing field is even.

Your story about Portugal made me laugh remembering my first days in Brasil when I spoke Spanish but not Portuguese and felt pretty lost myself. I remember thinking how nasal the language was. I can only imagine how hard it would have been if I'd gone to Portugal. I still have difficulty understanding that accent to this day!

~Jo Ann - Girl, I'm signed up!! You've already got a book published, but will you do the writing challenge anyway? Let the craziness begin!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm gonna try! :D The more the merrier, right? I'm not sure I'll finish whatever I'll write in time, but yep.. If I don't finish it on time, I'll do it my own way ;-)

nosthegametoo said...

This is such a wonderfully interesting blog, I am very glad to have found my way here.

Thank you for sharing a piece of yourself with this post.

Safiya Outlines said...

Belated happy birthday wishes! Hope you had a great day