Wednesday, October 18, 2006

4 Days Together Is Too Short...

...but it's certainly better than nothing! Rico arrived in Maputo on my birthday and like a good boyfriend ignored his jet lag to come out and celebrate.

A couple of friends joined us for drinks and pub food at the bar of the Hotel Terminus.

If you look closely you can see one of my latest jewelry creations in gold chain, black glass and pearls. I don't usually wear my work, but decided that it was my birthday and I could do whatever I felt like that evening.

The next day Rico and I went out for lunch at this great seafood restaurant at a park called the Jardim dos Namorados (Lover's Garden). The name is certainly cheesy, but it's one of the nicest places to hang out in Maputo. There are several restaurants, a big playground for kids, a salon and beautiful manicured gardens.

We ate a great meal - mussels with garlic as an appetizer, followed by a fillet of garoupa fish smothered in a seafood sauce. Think big chunks of shrimp, crab, clams and even crayfish in a tomato cream sauce. Here I am looking satisfied after all that food, despite the fact that (argh!) my sunglasses are crooked!!

The view from the Jardim dos Namorados has to be one of my favorite things about Maputo. You can see the Indian Ocean stretch out for miles...

And then, before I knew it, it was time for Rico to go back to Brasil. This photo was taken yesterday after a meeting at FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) where our proposal was selected for a job that will start in November. We didn't even have time to change out of our professional attire before heading to the airport.

I miss Rico already. Start the countdown to December 15th...

12 comments:

claireylove said...

aww -what a sweet last pic. i can see you're missing him already in it!


looks like you had a great birthday - many happy returns to you x x x

Amber said...

Aw, Happy Birthday, you adorable girly!

:)

Kristine said...

great photos!
happy birthday!

Mimey said...

You two look cute together, it sucks that you've got to be apart right now, but I guess it makes the time you get together more meaningful, yeah?

sara said...

Happy Birthday Ali...it looks like you & Rico had a lovely time together.

And I don't know why you don't wear your jewelry! Your creations are so beautiful and you'd be your own best advertisement. Love the birthday necklace you're wearing -- it's very elegant.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! :) You were so lucky he was around! Sortuda! Eu aqui, tou a procura de amor, ninguém me quer! :O

kanuthya said...

Good to see you happy :)
besos

nosthegametoo said...

There's never enough time for the beautiful moments.

Alina said...

It looks like you had a great time together. Shor as it might be! You should tresure it. Hope the next period on your own will go as smoothly and easily as possible. Take care!y

Ali Ambrosio said...

~bb - Is it that obvious? :)

~amber - Thanks, we had a fun day together.

~kristine - It's funny, I had to keep reminding myself to take any pictures at all. These are the only ones from Rico's visit home, which is unusual because I tend to take a lot of photos at parties.~

~jvs - Yeah, being apart does make us appreciate the time we have together. But Skype really helps me not suffer so much with the distance thing. We talk nearly every day.

~la vie - Thanks, I was glad, too!

~Telfair - You know, maybe I just will start wearing my own jewelry more often. I certainly like it... I guess I've always felt like I was spoiling the merchandise if I wore it beforehand, you know, selling off used goods or something.

~jo ann - é porque ainda não abriram os olhos pra ver que a mulher inteligente e doce que és!

~Kanuthya - It's good to FEEL happy too!

~nosthegametoo - Amen, my friend.

~Alina - I hope so, too. I'm already counting down the days.

paris parfait said...

Oh, Ali, a belated Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I'm behind in reading/commenting - Spanish classes have been quite intense. Wonderful photos, especially the last one of you and Rico! Sounds like the perfect birthday celebration. And congrats on the new project! Dec. 15 will be here before you know it. Bonne anniversaire, mon ami! XO

Left-handed Trees... said...

Happy happy happy birthday...