Saturday, October 28, 2006

How's This for a Headline?

Mozambique: More Press Freedom in Mozambique Than in USA

The press is freer in Mozambique than it is in the United States, according to the latest Worldwide Press Freedom Index, published by the Paris-based press freedom body, Reporters sans Frontieres (RSF - Reporters without Borders).

The RSF index gives each country a score, based on the degree of freedom for journalists and media organisations. The best possible score would be zero, and a few European countries approach this. Tied at the top of the index, with a score of 0.5 are Finland, Iceland, Ireland and Holland.

Over the past few years, Mozambique's ranking has improved. In 2004, Mozambique was ranked 64th out of 167 countries. In the 2005 index, Mozambique was ranked 49th, and this year it has risen to 45 out of 168, a position shared with Cape Verde, Macedonia and Serbia.

But the United States has been falling steadily. In the first year the index was published it was in 17th position. Last year the US was in 44th position, and this year it is ranked as number 53 alongside Botswana, Croatia and Tonga.

RSF explains that this decline arises from the deterioration in relations between the Bush administration and the media "after the President used the pretext of "national security" to regard as suspicious any journalist who questioned his "war on terrorism". RSF also points out that US federal courts refuse to recognise journalists' cherished right not to reveal their sources. This "even threatens journalists whose investigations have no connection at all with terrorism".

RSF notes, in particular, the cases of freelance journalist Josh Wolf, imprisoned by the US authorities when he refused to hand over his video archive; of Sudanese cameraman Sami al-Haj held without trial at the US military base of Guantanamo since June 2002; and of an Associated Press photographer, Bilal Hussein, held by the US in Iraq since April this year.

There seems no limit to how bad a score can get, but the paranoid dictatorship of North Korea comes bottom of the pile, at number 168, with a score of 109. Runners up in infamy are Turkmenistan (98.5) and Eritrea (97.5).

In the RSF index, the African countries with the freest press are Benin (ranked at 23), Namibia (26), Mauritius (32), Ghana (34) and Mali (35).

The index covers events between 1 September 2005 and 1 September 2006, and is based on a questionnaire sent by RSF to 14 other freedom of expression groups on five continents, and to 130 RSF correspondents scattered across the globe, plus a variety of other journalists, researchers, jurists and human rights activists.

To include any country in the index, RSF requires completed questionnaires from several sources. Thus a few countries are not in the index at all because of a lack of data. Among its 50 questions, the questionnaire asks how many journalists have been murdered, jailed, tortured, assaulted, threatened, or forced out of the country in the year under analysis. It also considers censorship and self-censorship, searches of media premises, and the jamming of radio broadcasts. It asks whether access to the profession of journalism is controlled (through such measures as a compulsory certificate), whether a licence is needed to start a newspaper, and whether there are undue restrictions on foreign investment in the media.

Article available online at here.

10 comments:

paris parfait said...

Why am I not surprised??!!

Michelle said...

That is absolutely appalling. I would like to say that I am shocked, but I am not.

alphawoman said...

This is very scary stuff. There is a prime example of this very thing going on in the US with the saga of reporters in San Francisco facing jail tim for refusing to identify their sources of grand jury testimony about steroid use. (Barry Bonds). The home of the brave? We better be.

Masood Ahmed said...

I wonder where does Pakistan stand exactly but I am sure it must be not higher than Mozambique. We do have freedom of press but any criticism on the military is barred...... and military runs the show here!!!

Safiya Outlines said...

As a headline it's good for Mozambique and bad for the U.S, really, really bad for the U.S

Anonymous said...

Like "Paris," I'm not at all surprised. But it's always depressing and infuriating to hear confirmation of just how much damage Bush's administration has done to our freedom and rights. Thank you for sharing this.

Bilal said...

lol- I'm also not suprised:)

Alina said...

Very interesting article. From what I know, Romania didn't do so good in this top. We don't torture or kill journalists, but the press seems to be ultimately biased.

Lacithecat said...

I am shockingly not surprised. My mother keeps saying I have to come back to the US and try to change the country from the inside. How can one ... when we can't even speak our minds freely anymore? This world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Paris Parfait - I wasn't either.

~Michelle - Appalling, yes. Shocking...it should be. I wish it were. Unfortunately, it's not.

~Alphawoman - I know. What's scary too is how many people aren't even aware, much less up in arms about the restrictions of our media freedoms.

~Masd - I think you can access the full list on the article linked in my post. I'd be curious to see if Pakistan is above or below the US. Now *real* irony will be the day Iraq is listed above the US!!

~No Exist - Thanks, my friend. I do feel like I've made it over the hump that came when Ricardo left and I was faced with doing things on my own here. It's been a good process, one that is still a challenge some days because I miss him terribly, but overall I'm glad I had this time to myself.

~Safiya - I agree. Not good publicity at all for the US right now.

~Marilyn - Yes, it's quite overwhelming to imagine what will need to happen in our country - and how much time it will take - to remedy what has been done by this current administration.

~Bilal - Ditto.

~Alina - Yes, I don't think it was at the top of the list...

~Laci - I often contemplate this one myself..should I go back to the US and do my work there, fight to make a change at home. Right now I don't feel it's time. I want to spend more time in Africa. The good thing is that I know several people my age back home that *are* in fact making a difference and doing some pretty powerful political activism and organizing of youth. They even wrote a book - "How to Get Stupid White Men Out of Office".

~