Thursday, November 29, 2007

Must Remember: It Will Grow, Eventually

I don't tend to freak out about my hair - I've endured many an unexpected result in the hairdresser's chair over the years with good spirits and a sense of adventure - but this afternoon I got a haircut that I think I hate.

It's short, but I'm okay with that. I figure, as long as I'm pretty near to the pixie cut, I may as well take advantage and go as short as my heart desires before I grow out my hair again. The shortness is cool, funky. But the cut is just...wrong. And unlike with long hair, once you've chopped and razored and snipped past a certain length, there's not much fixing to be done. One must wait for weeks for good old time to do its trick and grow out the funny bits.

My hair has been "off" for about 2 months now, ever since I tried out a new hairdresser (not that I'm loyal to anyone in Maputo or anything) with less than wonderful results. This woman gave me a cut that was too blunt, too blah. And when it grew out, it looked as if I had a bowl on the top of my head and a nascent mullet around the neck.

Unable to make it in to see my semi-regular hairdresser (I got stood up on 2 separate occasions - unfortunately not a rare occurence here) and without much free time during commercial hours in general, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I've cut my own hair a couple of times over the last 2.5 years, and I felt pretty confident. The only change was that I shaped up my bowl-mullet hair using a green plastic twin-blade Gillette razor for women. The one I use to shave my legs. I just grabbed it and started slicing away, trying to achieve a modern look that would at least tide me over to the next professional haircut.

I must say, my razor job didn't look half bad! However, as hair tends to do, it grew out and the bowl-mullet was reborn, only this time in a much less symmetrical way.

Today, after a boring, slow morning at work, I decided to head out early and get a freaking haircut at the salon in the shopping center where I frequently go. The end result is making me freak out. I don't know if this is something I can fix in the morning with a little wax and lots of scrunching. I have a cowlick in the back of my head, and the woman cut super short in all the wrong places, and now several chunks of my hair are standing straight up in the air and can't be coaxed to lie remotely flat in any of the possible directions I can usually count on to tame my cowlick. In addition, the cut is just weird. She tried to make it modern and funky, but I think I look like I've had an electric shock. Maybe it's just the way she styled it, using the round brush to make everything go against the grain, but before my hair was full of product and funk, it looked just like my Dad's: flat, mousy and conservative (no offense, Dad - on you it works!!).

How is this possible?? I am not a happy camper. And for as good as I am at sticking up for myself in situations where I am not satisfied, trying to get a hairdresser in Mozambique to provide customer service above and beyond the call of duty is not a battle I'm inclined to take on.

My way of coping? I ate an entire Cadbury's dairy milk with caramel, a handful of cashew nuts, and a bag of banana chips. Temporary relief, but not the answer in the long-term for multiple reasons, not the least of which being that I think I could deal with this haircut a lot better if I were 10 pounds lighter.

12 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

Bad haircuts suck. I have had so many, I now resort to trimming the ends of my own hair, it's less stressful.

Do you suits hats, scarfs or wigs?

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

That blows. If you can't fix it on your own and want your hair to grow a little faster, start taking a Vitamin E supplement if you don't already. It will help your hair grow faster.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya - When my hair is longer, I will wear scarves as headbands or headwraps. With short hair, I think wearing a scarf just looks funny (on me at least), like an 80's aerobics instructor. Hats I can't stand in hot weather, so that's out. And I'm just not brave enough for a wig, though it would be loads of fun! Thankfully the hair is better today. Still not great, but a giant improvement from the style nightmare I had going on yesterday.

~Monkey - I'll get on that right away! Thanks.

Safiya Outlines said...

And what would be wrong with looking like an 80's aerobic instructor? lol.

Actually those three words summon up two things for me: shiny, shiny lycra and cameltoe.

I think you should get a wig in a mad colour, sort of like Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation.

Or you could get extensions.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Just stumbled on to your blog - a while back I was looking for work In Mozambique as I know it is stunning and some of my friends have worked there. Anyway, this is a great find!

My question is: Can we see a photo of this dreadful haircut of yours? I am sure it's not as bad as you say it is.

x

www.captaincat.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

folic acid is a good assistant for getting your hair to grow fast...

spike it out and wear it proudly.

or dye it blue, for fun...(i always wanted to do that...)

sorry to hear about your hair crisis:(

-jenna

Willie Baronet said...

Hmmm. Must see pictures to make a call from way over here. :-)

Alina said...

Sorry to hear you're so disappointed! I went to the hair dresser's this weekend and I am pretty happy with the result. Maybe you should visit Romania for haricuts ;)

Anonymous said...

Flat, mousey, and conservative. That's just what I was going for! In my life, though, not my hair.
Dad

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya - When I hear your interpretation of an 80s aerobics instructor, all I can think of is my old friend Coco Austin!!

I agree, though, a colored wig would be super fun.

~Captain Cat - Good to meet you! I've just sent you an e-mail. And yes, I will post a photo as soon as I get through the swamp of work and travel preparations I'm going through right now.

~Jenna - I'm spiking it out the best I can, and waiting to get to a country where I can get ahold of better hair products next week!

I think instead of blue I'd go for bright cherry red or something.

~Rrramone - Will take and post soon!

~Alina - Lucky you!! I am envious, and want to see a photo of your haircut.

~Dad - Isn't that what we *all* aspire to in life? I mean, come on, those are some lofty goals!!

For the record, your haircut suits you much better than it does me. :)

Unknown said...

Awwhhh, I am sorry to hear that the hairdresser went crazy all over your head!
Grow, grow, grow....
I'm thinking of you.
I think you are taking it pretty well, all things considered... I heard wafer cookies help with hair growth too! (j/k)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Laundrygirl - Yes, wafer cookies *definitely* help. As does birthday cake, ice cream, fried chicken and all sorts of other tasty treats. I mean, all food has some sort of vitamins and minerals, right??