Friday, November 09, 2007

Taken to Heart

Today was a day for philosophising, for introspection, for reflections on life over tea. Hugh Marlboro and I had an unexpectedly serious series of conversations this morning, reaching a much deeper level than our usual musings about personality, relationships and human nature.

Hugh Marlboro gave me some life advice near the end of our discussion. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "Ali, your biggest challenge will be to truly learn to compromise. Once you can do this without feeling you are losing pride or handing power to another person is the day you will have figured out one of the tricks to life for your personality type."

I let his words sink in, trying not to take them personally or as a comment on a lack of ability to compromise, for I knew that wasn't what he was trying to express.

In essence, this was a variation on the theme of some advice my mom once gave me when I was about 10 years old. She said, "Your will is one of your greatest assets; use it to your advantage, don't let it become your downfall."

It's amazing how humbling it can be to hear an observation about yourself that you know is 100% true...

3 comments:

Recommended News said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JP (mom) said...

You know yourself better than anyone ... use this piece of information in a way that is authentic and true for you. xx, JP/deb

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Jane Poe - That is certainly my intention. Hope you are doing well - I need to pay you a visit and catch up.