Thursday, August 03, 2006

Secrets No More

About 30 minutes ago I sat down to watch some TV (Channel O - South Africa's answer to MTV) and knit a few rows on the scarf I'm currently making. As I knit, my mind kept centering on an idea, insisting that I put words to it, that I share with the world a few of the secret things that make up Ali la Loca.

Acceptance. It's been in the air lately, swirling amongst the members of my blog community, be it through mirror meditation or encouraging comments. Perhaps its these first few days alone that have brought up the urge to disclose a few things about myself that I'd normally prefer to shroud in layers and lock up. I've been meditating, evaluating and observing my life here, wondering how it is that I got to this place (literally and figuratively) and where it is that I want to go tomorrow, next year, 10 years from now.

In the name of acceptance I'd like to share a few things about myself, my past, my fears and hopes.

1. I used to lie a lot. It was hard for me to say anything I feared would upset anyone else. I also had a tremendously difficult time telling people "no." This all has changed, and now I'm on the opposite extreme. I say exactly what I think and say "no" when I don't feel like doing something or going somewhere. I try to still act with kindess and respect, but I no longer sugarcoat or beat around the bush. I know that I come off as a bitch a lot of the time, but I'm a lot happier this way - and that's what matters in the end (to me, at least).

2. When I was in middle school, around 13 years old, my mousy brown hair "mysteriously" turned blonde. Contrary to what I told everyone and what they all ended up believing, especially my mother, my beautiful blonde streaks weren't due to hormones or blessed genetics. It all came from a bottle of hydrogen peroxide hidden at the back of my medicine cabinet. I'd wet a cotton ball and randomly dab it on my roots, creating blonde highlights. I did this for almost 10 years and never admitted to my hair being anything but natural. I felt like pretty, unique hair made me special. I felt beautiful, but always like a fraud.

One day, however, I realized that the blonde was way too brassy and not really a flattering tone for my cool, olive skin. So I dyed my hair dark, tried to get it back to my natural color. I had let my hair completely grow out last year for the first time in my adult life. Then, at a low point here in Maputo, I went to a hairdresser and had her put in highlights. I hated them and, kicking myself, am now growing out my natural color again. Nature knows best, and now I know not to fool with her. In about 6 months I'll be back to what she intened for me in the first place.

3. When I lived in Brasil as an exchange student I gained some weight in the first few months I was in the country. People started calling me chubby, so I stopped eating. 9 months later, I was anorexic and had stopped getting my period. My hair was falling out and I was pale as hell. But I was skinny, and to me that was all that mattered.

When I started college a year later, I started to eat again. And, of course, I gained back some of the weight. I also freaked out about it and started throwing up my food to keep thin. I also toyed with taking laxatives, but that never was really my thing. I hid my bulimia from everyone for almost a year until the depression and obsessiveness became unbearable. With the help of my friend Kyle, I went to a psychologist. She wasn't wonderful, and I ended up stopping therapy, but I told my parents about my eating disorder(s) and managed to stop purging my food.

Then, about a year later, I swung to the opposite extreme. I'd still binge eat like a bulimic, but I was too lazy and depressed to do anything to "make up for it." Not surprisingly, I gained weight. In my head, I was too fat to go out of the house. I was so ashamed of the way I looked and saw no way out of the cycle. All I could think was how desperately I wanted to go back to being anorexic but didn't have the willpower.

A total of 7 years after cultivating an eating disorder in Brasil, I finally got my life back together. I decided it was too painful, required too much effort, was too much to continue on the path I'd been following thus far. I tried to dedicate my negative energy into art instead of food. I started creating and painting and writing more than I ever have in my life. It didn't happen overnight, but I made it through to the other side.

Now my eating is pretty normal, but I still have serious body issues and am aware that food is the first thing I turn to when I feel stressed. I also believe strongly that, as with any other addiction, it is a disease that you must deal with for life. How do I know this? Because if I am honest with myself, I have to admit that part of me still wants to go back to being anorexic. Thankfully I'm wise enough to know that it's not worth it, but it sure does seem like a fabulous solution when times get tough...

4. I played the piano for 15 years, from the time I was 3 to when I was 18. Sometimes I miss piano now, but not because I love the music and the process of playing an instrument. Rather, I miss the thrill of impressing people and feeling the satisfaction of getting first place in a regional competition. I was really, really good at playing the piano and I loved it when people recognized my talent.

5. I struggle not to feel ashamed for being American.

6. When I lived in Austin, one day I found 2 enormous Ziploc baggies full of marijuana by the pool of my apartment complex. It was really high quality stuff, and an uneducated guess would put its street value at over $1,000. Instead of calling the cops like a good citizen, I took a quick look around to make sure the FBI or the owner of the drugs weren't lurking in the bushes, then took both baggies into my apartment. To even out my karma, I gave away about half of the pot to friends of mine that I knew smoked weed and would appreciate a free score. The other half I kept and, against all sound judgement, smoked for the next year anytime I felt like getting high.

7. Despite the fact that pretty much since high school I've smoked pot whenever I feel like it (although I've never actually bought any), I'm one of the most accomplished people I know. I'd go to class stoned all semester and get the highest grade out of 100 students on all the tests. I'd get high and clean the house, write a paper, organize my files, go for a jog or run errands. I even wrote a grant proposal once when I was high and ended up getting over a million dollars for the organization I was working for at the time. Even though morally I feel very guilty anytime I smoke, I can't say at this point in my life that I'm convinced that smoking weed is necessarily a bad thing in my life, as long as it's not done in excess.

8. I am not high right now, nor have I smoked pot in nearly a year, just in case you were wondering. I'm also not drunk or on any other substance other than the high that comes with shouting out your truths to the world.

9. I love my mom so much it's overwhelming. She is the one person on this earth I indentify with 110% percent. Sometimes I freak out thinking about how lonely I'll be when she's gone.

10. In 2003 I was raped by my neighbor in Brasil. I didn't resist his flirting or advances, and didn't say no when it all happened (see number 1). I had a boyfriend at the time who, unfortunately, came to Brasil to visit me exactly 2 days after I was raped. I was so ashamed, felt so guilty about what had happened, that I hid it all from my boyfriend and acted like everything was normal. Until the day my neighbor freaked out and supposedly came to the gate with a gun because he wanted to "talk to me." That was the afternoon I fled from our house and went to the hotel I wrote about in Sunday Scribblings a few weeks ago. In that hotel room I told my confused ex-boyfriend everything that had happened. In his eyes as well as mine at that moment, I hadn't been raped - I'd been a cheating whore.

It took 10 months of intensive therapy back in the US to get me to even start believing that just because I hadn't fought back or said "no" out loud, it didn't constitute a violation of my body and spirit. I still feel strange saying I was raped, as if because I enjoyed the attention of this neighbor and even flirted with him a bit before it all happened, because I didn't have a stronger reaction at the time, what happened to me doesn't "qualify." It's all still very gray, and as time passes I become more and more okay with the idea that it may just stay that way.

The relationship with my boyfriend at the time went on for a very painful year after the incident in Brasil. I don't think I've ever been so sad, yet simultaneously so relieved and happy as the day we broke up back in 2005.

11. As a result of number 10 above, I still have problems being touched (sexually or not) and many times find myself dissociating and having out of body experiences so that I don't have to deal with the uncomfortable feelings that arise when I am close to people. I'm working on it, but it's so hard to recognize that sometimes I can't deal with the person I'm totally in love with touching me, even if it's just to hug me or nuzzle my neck. Some days I even freak out if the cat walks across my chest! It's unbelivably frustrating to feel like I've worked through the bulk of the emotional baggage that came along with being raped/unfaithful, but somehow my body still lags behind in the healing process.

12. I'm terrible at parallel parking and can't ride a bike to save my life.

13. Although I'm not a smoker, sometimes I crave cigarettes. I feel especially guilty about this because smoking has very negatively affected the health of two people very close to me and Rico - my dad and his mom. I see what they have been through in terms of illness, and what Rico and I have been through in terms of watching our respective parents go through major health scares, and I don't want to do this to my kids. Ever. I don't want to be a smoker, yet I have to admit that the whole idea of cigarettes is very alluring to me.

14. I am superstitious. Every time I get on a plane/train/boat or take a road trip I go through the same ritual. I've done it for as long as I can remember. I close my eyes and make the sign of the cross 9 times in my mind. Then I say the following prayer: "Dear God please watch over me, everyone I love, and everyone that loves me. Let us arrive safely. Amen." The funny part is that I'm not even religious, much less Catholic.

15. I imagine terrible things happening to myself and to people that I love. I can't help it, these thoughts and images come into my mind no matter what I do. I think about people and animals trapped in fiery buildings, car accidents where I end up holding someone I love in my arms and helplessly watching them die. I imagine getting mugged, stabbed, shot, tortured and violently raped. I imagine the lurch of a plane right before it crashes. I imagine what it feels like to get "that phone call." I vaugely know that obsessive thoughts of bad things happening is a symptom of some psychological disorder but don't recall which one. Personally I think it's a reaction to finding happiness and having a life full of people that I love that the old negative voice inside tells me I don't deserve and will lose sooner or later anyway.

16. Despite this laundry list of secrets and tough times, and a whole slew of other things I've been through, I am an optimist. I am fundamentally happy and hopeful about what the future will bring. I love my life and wouldn't trade it for the world.

---------------------------------------------------

I am going to post this and then go straight to bed to cuddle with the kittens. I know the urge to delete this list will be strong, and the only way I know for sure to overcome it is to turn off the computer. I want to share with you, get all this out, take a leap towards acceptance. I feel it is the right thing to do at this moment. Thank you all for reading with gentle hearts.

15 comments:

paris parfait said...

Ali, I've said it before: you are so strong and brave. This post is amazing in its raw honesty. You've really put it all out there in a way most of us would never dare. It's obvious that you've come a long way to get to the strong positive place you are now. Maybe you could make a list of all the assets and good things about you - because I'm sure those unique talents and wonders far outbalance the list you've presented here. Don't be so hard on yourself. Every one of us has struggled or is struggling with various issues. How we choose to deal with them determines who we are and how we react to the world - are we survivors or victims? Both you and I are survivors and I'm so thankful for that. The story about how you overcame the trauma of being raped and its aftermath is so powerful and will no doubt help others who have been through similar horrors. You are an amazing woman who has accomplished many wonderful things in your 24 years!

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

Meu Deus, you opened your heart and it is such a blessing for you and for us, believe, it's incredible how we feel good to just say: eu também! eu também, and to recognise myself in your situations. Is it because we are Libra's? is there something about libras that know how to combine so well everything in the middle? being pessimistic and optimistic at the same time but not always at the same levels?
Well, nevertheless, I hope you are sleeping just FINE!

Willie Baronet said...

Ali, wow. What an amazing woman you are. Thank you for the courage to be yourself and risk sharing that. If it helps at all, you are not alone. I related to several things you wrote about, especially the irrational thoughts I often have, the morbid fantasies. And I have gotten "the call" which was about my mom. And losing her to lung cancer after she spend her adult life smoking.

Life is often hard, always a mystery, and sometimes glorious. Thank you for modeling what it looks like to live bravely.

Blessings to you and yours. :-)

Safiya Outlines said...

Such a powerful post. You have always been so honest with us and while I knew there were events you were leading up to telling about I still gasped out loud at reading them.

It's amazing how much you can care for someone you've never met or spoken to. I admire you so much for your honesty and your optimism, may these qualities always burn brightly, illuminating your life and the lives of all those around you.

Kristine said...

I still get caught up in the people pleasing thing. I am continually working at being more honest and if anything, my desire is to be true to myself and comfortable in my own skin. I have two sisters – one who struggles with anorexia and the other who battles bulimia. I am extremely overweight. So, obviously all three of us go to food out of a psychological need rather than seeing it as mere substance. #10 happened to my best friend many years ago. She too did not use what she called “ the R word” for many years. She blamed herself for a bad situation in which she was afraid of being impolite or looking like she was freaking out when really she was being made to do that which was against her will. I don’t know how to drive nor do I have a license at 37 years of age. I am not a smoker but my husband is and sometimes I am soothed by cigarette smoke although I have never even attempted to smoke.
You are strong and very brave, just like paris parfait said. I think you are amazing and I am glad to have the chance to get a glimpse of your life and to share mine with you as well. You are growing in ways that you may not even realize.

Susannah Conway said...

Ali, my love, i feel so honoured to have read this - brave, powerful YOU - don't delete it, as it by sharing our truths (the truth of being a woman, a human being) that we all learn from each other - and learn how to respect each other.. love to you... when we meet we'll smoke a big spliff :-) xxx

Narrator said...

I accept you any way you are and would do so if I knew you for real. You seem like an amazing person.

Ali Ambrosio said...

Well, it's taken me a couple of days but I'd like to respond to your comments here:

~la vie en rose -
It is sooooooooo comforting to read your experiences with the things on my list. I will definitely keep shouting out my truths, no matter how uncomfortable this may make other people, becuase it is so healing and empowering for me!

~Paris Parfait -
Thank you! I think a list of positive assets is a wonderful idea. Actually, I didn't mean this list to be necessarily "negative" - just things I felt I needed to work on accepting about myself. I do hope that my story can help other women who have been through something similar. Here's to being survivors!

~Elite -
It *is* wonderful to identify ourselves in other people, to know that we are not alone in our joys and our suffering. Opening my heart has been a great experience, thanks for your support.

~rrramone -
Life is often hard, always a mystery, and sometimes glorious. Amen!! Such nice words, thank you. I also have gotten "the call" and hope that the next time I am better prepared to deal with it.

~Safiya-
Something makes me smile when I think about my life making another person gasp. It makes me want to puff out my chest and be like, "Yeah, I did all that. I lived through all that!" Thanks for reminding me always that optimism and honesty are qualities in myself that I want to cultivate forever.

~Kristine -
Yes, food is a very powerful friend, crutch, drug, companion and source of relief. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's just energy, a source of nutrition that will get me through the day. Thank you so much for your support, and I agree that I am likely growing in ways that I haven't fully realized yet.

~No Exist -
Oh, it was a terrible time in my life when I went to visit you that one summer. I was miserable with my body and the lack of control I felt. But I must say it was such a blessing to have you as a friend during that period. You gave me some advice that I use to this day:

Trust yourself.
Love yourself.
Just say no.

~Susannah -
I won't delete, I'm already too proud of what I've accomplished here to give in to any momentary urges. I do hope that sharing my truths will lead to greater understanding and respect, at least in my small community. And I can't wait to meet you!!!

~Non Vocabulum -
Ditto, by the way. It's so comforting to hear words like yours. "I accept you, just the way you are." So simple and so powerful. Thank you!!!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

dear brave girl. this is fantastic. thank you for sharing all of this, putting this all out there into the world. freeing yourself of carrying these thoughts alone.
i can imagine that as you hit "post" you dropped a piece of baggage you had been carrying for a while and it grew wings and flew out the window.
beautiful.
blessings to you,
liz

Michelle said...

I have been to that gray place.

If I enjoyed weed, I wouldn't feel guilty about it. People are far more destructive when they are drunk.

Body issues, yeah. Still struggling.

I think you managed to write something that probably every woman can relate to in some way. I read it feeling bad for you for having to deal with this stuff and relating like crazy the entire time.

Alina said...

Ali, i think you are one of the bravest persons I know for putting up such a list! I also believe you are one of the strongest to go through all this and still be optimistic, funny and a little crazy!

Amber said...

I see you around many of my favorite blogs... I am so happy I looked deeper into your blog. You are a strong woman. I love your honesty. I can imagne that the journey ahead of you will only be brighter, because you are working on/have worked on so much so far! Very wise. Very inspiring. I realte to more than you know, too. ;)

:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this. I'm sorry for many things, not the least of which is how I dealt with the things that happened, and I, like you, found this post very cathartic.

I am so proud and happy for you that you have become the woman you are today, and thank you for letting me continue to share in it.

p.s. you sneaky devil with the hydrogen peroxide! I never even suspected.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Liz - Yes, it did feel a lot like my secrets grew wings and just flew away with any weight that had been on my shoulders. Thanks for the e-mail, by the way.

~Alina - Optimistic, strong, funny and a little crazy...I'll take it!

~Amber - Thanks you. Yes, the journey does get much brighter when we put in the necessary hard work on ourselves.

~Rebecca - You have no idea how wonderful it is to read this comment. I think we all learned a lot during that time, about ourselves and each other, our strengths and weaknesses, and the seemingly unfair blows life is capable of dealing. But it's all for a reason, and I am actually glad that I went through all this.

And part of me is secretly pleased that I did, in fact, have you all fooled with my blonde hair! Ha! I was so perfectionistic that I never let the slightest hint of roots grow out.

Tomas said...

That was a powerful post. I am totally shocked about that streaking of your hair when you were 12!!! But it's great to know that you are happy and in a great place.