Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Routine

I've been feeling a bit down these last couple of days. Nothing serious, no tears have been shed (yet), but I just can't shake this sense of being mildly depressed, wallowy and blah.

I am having tremendous problems getting motivated to finish up this project that is due on Monday. Granted, it's about the transport sector in Mozambique - a subject that in and of itself doesn't get me particularly revved up - but I just can't seem to write anything coherent for the final version of the business plan. In addition to my procrastination, I am frustrated with this project for multiple reasons and I simply want it to be over. Done. I don't want to invest any more of my time and energy. Instead it's here looming over me, and the longer I put off my work the worse I feel. What a sad cycle.

All I want to do these days is make jewelry. I've already stated to Ricardo on at least 3 separate occasions that I was all out of materials. After each of those declarations, I managed to make a slew of new necklaces and earrings - and not just any old junk, things I genuinely like and am having a terribly hard time putting up for sale. Necessity truly is the mother of invention and I have been quite the creative girl, learning how to fashion my own silver clasps out of wire after the store-bought ones ran out, using new and different combinations of beads, scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of innovation and inspiration. But now I am *really* out of materials. No tiger tail stringing wire, no silver wire to make clasps and ear hooks, no pretty beads at all. The one thing that was getting me through each day here in relatively good spirits has run dry and I don't really know what to do with myself.

I suppose I could revisit the scarf I'm knitting, or draw some pictures. I could paint another wall in the living room. I could start writing the book I have in my head. I could do a million and one things but I just don't feel like it. Blah, blah, blah!

Today I am making myself go out of the house to have a manicure and pedicure. Having nice nails always lifts my spirits, and the walk down to the nail spa is actually quite lovely. It's about .5 miles down a street called Frederich Engels that is lined with acacia trees and is home to some of the most posh mansions in all of Maputo. It's also along the edge of the cliff that drops off into the Indian Ocean, so every once in a while there is a stellar view of the water inbetween the big houses. I must leave in about 15 minutes.

I'm still meditating in the mornings, and find increasingly that the early morning hours are the part of the day that I most look forward to. I have a cup of tea, the cats want to be cuddled, I sit on the balcony and breathe and watch the world go by on the street below. I feel connected and at peace in the relative stillness of that hour. Then the day heats up, I go about my work (or avoidance thereof), read blogs and write a bit in my own, and count the hours until it is time to go to bed again. Fundamentally I like the routine I've got going, but there is something more than a bit terrifying about the monotonous, predictable nature of my days.

13 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

I think you must be missing Ricardo terribly (obvious statement, I know).

Also, there is nothing like having-to- do-something-you-don't-want-to-do to make you feel lethargic.

I know the feeling well.I'm reading a book at the moment called "Eat that Frog". It's about how to not procrastinate and be more effective. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Until then, I hope the blah-blahs pass soon.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya - Yes, I am missing Rico a lot these days. I hadn't appreciated what a "companheiro" he is to me, a companion in the true sense of the word.

At least I have a deadline that will force me to get my work done sooner or later, so I won't be able to procrastinate at all on this one past Monday afternoon.

Let me know if the book is any good.

Alex S said...

Its funny, many of my days overseas felt so uneventful, predictable, and yet I LONG for them again, those long, luxurious, empty afternoons. Do we just long for whereever we aren't? I feel for you though, having to force yourself to finish a project. Just think how totally relieved you will be once its behind you! Sending you paddles to wade through the resistance!

Deirdre said...

As much as I sometimes long for more hours in the day or days in the week, I also remember days alone that I thought would never end. I think getting a rythym is essential. I hope you find more jewelry supplies soon. It really is a great way to fill time creatively.

Alina said...

Ali, I think you are doing a great job up to now and I am sure you will keep it going. As for the project, good luck with it, I am sure you will feel much better after finishing it.

Enjoyed the photos with your jewlery from the previous post. You did an amazing job, as always!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Alexandra - Yes, I find it true that I long for wherever I am not at the moment. Funny, I'm nostalgic for New Mexico and I *know* that's not where I want to live my life! Grass is always greener...

~Deirdre - Yes, a rhythm is very important. Thankfully I will be back in the US in 2 week's time to stock up on jewelry-making supplies.

~Alina - Thanks, I'm glad you liked the jewelry. And I am positive I'll feel better once the project is done...it's just getting there that's the problem!

kanuthya said...

What we are for other people (and not just as individuals, no matter how independent we may be - as you are) is a huge part of our existence, it defines us. Since you arrived there, you have been with him. Now you find yourself physically alone, it's natural you wonder what to do, that you try to create beautiful things. Sorry for the rather confusing comment. Regarding the nostalgia, the longing for something we can't even define well - I think you must have picked it up along the way with the Portuguese language, it's a "lusophonous" virus :)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Kanuthya - Yes, I agree that much of how we define ourselves comes from other people, interactions and relationships. I am quite literally without my other half...

And please, let me say, "malditas saudades!" I think it is definitely a lusophone curse.

Narrator said...

Ali, I'm sure there aren't beads as beautiful as those found in Mozambique being sold here in Canada, but if you need/want supplies, I'd be happy to donate to your obsession. A gift. Please let me know!

You do sound a little blue here, but not unhappy. I imagine your quiet moments at home with the beads and your babies are quite pleasant. And you have home to look forward to -- how great is that!?

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Non Vocabulum - Sweet, sweet you!! What a thoughtful offer. I must confess, though, I just spent an ungodly amount of money at an online bead store purchasing a ton of supplies that will be waiting for me in the US!

Narrator said...

The offer is open if you ever want!

Narrator said...

Ali, do you work from home?

Ali Ambrosio said...

Thanks, Non Vocab.

Yep, I work from home. Sometimes I love it, other times I despise it.