Friday, August 11, 2006

New Jewelry

Last night I made a piece of jewelry I like so much I just had to photograph myself wearing it. To my horror, as I posted this picture just now (4:45am!), I realized that MY GLASSES ARE CROOKED! This is, along with the laces on my tennis shoes being unevenly pulled tight, one of my huge pet peeves in life. I'm obsessive, I know. But I like the new necklace so much I'm putting this photo up here anyway. Know that the next 7 - 10 days will be occupied by me making minute adjustments to my frames and taking more pictures to see if my glasses are finally straight, because obviously the mirror is no longer a reliable indicator (I swore they were perfectly even before I took this photo).

So...all of that to say I made a fabulous necklace, pictured above (unfortunately with flash). It's a big hunk of turquoise that I got at a crafts fair in Austin. I cut a length of thick silver chain, made a sweet S-shaped clasp for the back out of wire, then held the stone in place by making a spiral on one end of a sterling wire. I made the necklace with the idea of eventually selling it, but this piece just resonates with me so much that I think I may have to keep it. I'll be wearing this new turquoise number on our road trip to South Africa today.

Speaking of which, I must suck down the rest of my tea, do my morning meditation and hop in the shower.

12 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

Very pretty.
Don't worry about the glasses. Glasses are strange.

Have a great trip!

paris parfait said...

The necklace is lovely! As for the glasses, who even noticed? Enjoy your trip!

Tomas said...

great piece of jewlery. it's so like you to notice the glasses thing. actually i'm suprised you posted it. i never really dealt with that issue you helped me with completely but things are better.

Michelle said...

I love that necklace. I have one with a very similar piece (as much as is possible, anyway) of turquoise. Your pic is cute! Crooked glasses are one of those human things...

Susannah Conway said...

Your necklace is just gorgeous... as are you :-) and i loved your transgendered cat story - i'm still chuckling now :-)) x

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

You did it yourself? it is awesome! and you are so THIN!!!! incredible :) and beautiful, OF COURSE! :) beijos!

kerry said...

that's beautiful.. i'm impressed! thanks for your supportive comments.

Masood Ahmed said...

I am glad that I found your blog.
It is really exciting to know how people could find their dreams in far away lands. Mozambique, I wonder, what kind of a country it is? Do you learn the local language?
Your new jewellery is magnificent.

kanuthya said...

The necklace is beautiful :) And, as you of course already know, no one else noticed the glasses :)

Ali Ambrosio said...

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that nobody really noticed my crooked glasses! Good reality check for me. Glasses certainly are strange, and I take solace in the fact that I notice just about everyone else's glasses are crooked too!

~Michelle - I'm excited to hear that you have a similar necklace. That means that my taste must be good!

~Susannah - Thanks! (blushing). I'm glad I could provide a laugh with the cat story.

~Elite - Yes, all by myself. And as for the thin part, thank you (I take it as a compliment) but I must admit I'm blessed with a "thin face" that no matter how much weight I may gain or lose, it is just about always the same. :)

~Masd - Welcome, glad you found me. Mozambique is a very interesting place. In one of my previous posts I have a link to an interview I did describing my life here in more detail. The local language is portuguese, which I do speak, although there are many tribal languages as well.

~Kanuthya - Obrigada. Tava com saudades de você!

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon Miss Ali,
The necklace is beautiful and I didn't notice any crookidness in your glasses - and I even went back to check if I missed it. Nope.
Great pictures of your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Kristine said...

Beautiful necklace!
And as for the glasses... mine are always crooked. They inch up on one side. Sometimes it's very noticable, other times only I notice.