Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Apprentice, La Loca Style

You know the opportunity I've been referencing in several of my previous posts?

Well, last night everything came together and I was formally offered the job!!

What is it?

Not surprisingly, something a bit hard to describe.

Basically, since arriving in Mozambique 2.5 years ago, Rico and I have been working on an expansion project for a client who is the largest commercial producer of bananas in the country. In order to prepare the fundraising proposal, I had multiple work sessions together with the client so that I could understand what was in his head and subsequently translate it onto paper in appropriate "business plan" language.

Through this process, I really came to admire this person. Not only has he created a massively successful agricultural operation, he has also established several other complimentary businesses on the side that are doing quite well. He is an amazing strategist, and perhaps the best businessman I've ever come across in my life.

The icing on the cake is that I also really like him as a person. He is interesting, personable, funny, and always keeps you on your toes. Honestly, who wouldn't be drawn in by the man who is formally trained as a medical doctor, served in the South African special services, and then went for a complete career and life change and became a commercial banana farmer in Mozambique?

The other night, our client stopped by to drop off some papers related to his project. I was in the middle of cooking a lasagne and ran downstairs in my apron to meet his car. He gave me a hug, we chatted for a while, then he looked me straight in the eye and held my gaze, saying nothing. This is a habit of his, staring deep into your eyes as if to test if you can stand the pressure. You never know what he is going to say in these moments, and have to prepare yourself to hear anything from "This work is terrible!" to "You know, for a young person you are quite impressive."

After what seemed like an eternity, he finally spoke in the South African accent I've grown quite fond of.

"Ali, do you want to work for me?"

"Yes, definitely!"

"No, Ali. Do you want to work for me, seriously?"

"Yes, I seriously want to work for you."

"Okay, we'll talk about it then soon."

I was incredibly excited after that proposal the other evening, but kept in mind that it was informal and tried not to get my hopes too high. Still, I couldn't get my mind off the offer. I even called the client about the fundraising project that is being evaluated to see if, perhaps, he might mention our conversation the other day. He didn't, and I tried to prepare myself for the reality that the opportunity might not manifest itself before the end of the year. This client works on his own timetable, and I realized that it would do me no good to force the issue.

Then, last night, he called and suggested a dinner meeting. Ricardo and I went to meet him, and we started out with all the usual chit-chat that precedes an important business discussion here. Then, the client finally touched on the issue at hand.

He made me an offer for a full-time position, outlined all the reasons a young person like me might choose to work with him instead of a big-name international company, went over what the benefits of our relationship would be from his perspective, and gave his reasons for wanting me to work with him. All of this made me beam with pride. I needed no convincing - it was the professional equivalent of "You had me at 'hello'."

Essentially, I will be his apprentice over the next 2 years. I will be his shadow in all aspects of the business, with the idea that I will be able to substitute him in any area necessary after some time. We will go together to the plantation, to the bank to negotiate loans, to the fresh produce markets in Johannesburg, to the border and to the ports. He will show me the ropes of running a multi-million dollar group of companies, and I will get to know exactly how his mind works when making decisions and determining strategies.

However, the relationship as his right-hand woman will go both ways. I will act as a sounding board for his ideas, giving him feedback and representing someone with whom he can have an intellectual discussion about the situations at hand. I will also put my other consulting-type skills to use, helping him analyze the different aspects of his business and put on paper the fantastic ideas he has in his head.

I will start this new position next month. Needless to say, I am out-of-my-mind excited. I don't care how much I make as a salary - this is one of very few full-time opportunities that I'd accept in a heartbeat. Interestingly, a position related to commercial agriculture was on my List of 5 Dream Internships, as was logistics work. This opportunity represents both! Strike 2 off the list!

Friends, this is undeniably the start of a new chapter. I can't wait to begin.

20 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

Congratulations, It sounds brilliant!

I'm very, very pleased for you.

Will you get free bananas? ;)

Unknown said...

Talk about exciting!!! Congratulations!

Marcia Francois said...

Woohoo!!!! I'm so excited for you - this is a DREAM come true :)

Organising Queen,
Clutter Control Freak and
Marcia's take charge blog

Francesca said...

Ali I am soooo proud of you, especially after the experience with the other company! I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to hear more about it when you start!

Eduarda said...

Please share your adventures as The Apprentice... :-)

El Erik said...

Ali!!! Congrats!!!!
Well, I knew you rocked. If I were a multibillionaire I would hire you to run stuff as well :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, well done! Sounds like your perfect job, especially with the travelling aspect, both within the country and the region..Its going to be an exciting 2 year for you!

Karen Travels said...

I've been away from the blogging world a while...trying to catch up!


Congrats to you!!

Left-handed Trees... said...

CONGRATS, Ali! Sounds like an opportunity to be creative and to learn a lot...best wishes to you with it.
Love,
D.

Anonymous said...

Parabems! I guess with a little patience you can get what you want.

jenica said...

ohhh, that rocks. you are always starting some great adventure. congrats on being able to work for such a tremendous person too.

Lacithecat said...

Wow! I am so happy for you. Now if I remember correctly, this plantation is up by Beira isn't it? Does that mean you are going to have to relocate?

And thanks for your comment. I laughed at the pizza! Smile ...

Hope you enjoyed it like I always did!

Amber said...

Congratulations!! I can hear how happy you are. That is wonderful, and I am sure it will indeed be a new chapter for you. He can see a good thing! Good for you.

:) :)

Kelly Chapman said...

Hey Ali,

Congratulations. Sounds like a massive challange and opportunity. Good luck with the first week!!!
love Kel.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful when you can cross off a life goal?
I can't wait for more on this grand adventure you are about to embark upon!!!!

Ali Ambrosio said...

Everyone, thank you so much for your kind words.

~Lacithecat - the job is (thankfully) not near Beira, but just outside Maputo. No relocating for me!!

Anonymous said...

Is "Yay" enough? ;)
Yay!

paris parfait said...

Congratulations, Ali! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you.

Annie Jeffries said...

Congratulations Ali. It's truly wonderful when dreams come true.

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! Huzzah!