Friday, August 03, 2007

Alexandra Amaro Fusion

Over the past year, I have become increasingly serious about my jewelry-making obsession, taking it from a hobby to a fledgling business. I've been selling at local crafts fairs in Mozambique each month, and finally opened an Etsy site to try my hand at e-commerce.

In all, my experiences designing and making jewelry have been overwhelmingly positive. I have learned an immense amount about both the business and design aspects of the work. I have even developed a small reputation around Maputo as the person to see for higher-end jewels.

However, throughout the past year, I have been plagued by the disconnect between the images and inspirations for my pieces I had in my mind, and the final product. Part of the problem has been the lack of access to materials and inputs for my jewelry, as Mozambique doesn't have anything resembling a bead shop at this point. There are fabulous gems mined in the country, but they are next to impossible to get your hands on, and it is even harder to find someone capable of doing lapidary work. In all, I've been limited to what I can fit in my suitcase and informally import from the US and Brazil.

My problem hasn't only been with materials, though. I suppose this is a natural part of any artist's journey, but I'd been struggling to find my "voice", my preferred style, my unique signature look that defines my jewelry and makes it stand out in such a saturated market.

It's been a long time coming, but this past week, I finally nailed it. I've managed to reproduce the image that's been in my mind the entire past year. My work finally fits with my inspiration - fusion jewelry inspired by Mozambique, Brazil and New Mexico.

I found some local artisans (one in Manica Province, the other in Nampula) that could provide me with Mozambican materials - precious hardwood beads, soapstone components, and trade beads from Ilha de Moçambique. It was a great process to do business with these guys, who are still at a very simply level of commercialization, yet are able to use e-mail and text messages to process an order. It was a fascinating experience to go to the cargo sector of the Maputo airport and collect 2 boxes containing jewelry supplies made specially for me by local artisans.

The products I received were gorgeous, especially the wood (blackwood and rosewood). I sat down to make a few pieces, and I was on a roll. The fusion designs started flowing, and I've spent each night this week furiously bending silver wire, wrapping gemstones, and digging through bags of trade beads to find matches.

It is a nearly intoxicating feeling to have this coming together - and with fortuitous timing. At the end of the month I will be participating in a national crafts fair, to be held at the historic fort here in Maputo. It was a juried selection process, so I feel especially honored to be showing my work at the event. It will be 5 days: 30 August to 04 September. I can't wait!

Here are a few examples of the pieces I've created this week. The main materials are pau preto (blackwood), pau rosa (rosewood), trade beads found in the sand on Mozambique Island, mother of pearl, silver wire, pearls and gemstones.

I hope you like them as much as I do!










13 comments:

Toni M Photography said...

Oooo Love them..... Sorry for the lack of comments... Will endeavour to wrote soon, just been a little crazy here for awhile...

Big Hugs,
love Toni

alphawoman said...

They are beautiful. I have been meaning to e-mail you and tell you that I absolutely love the Assimetra earrings and wear them all the time. If only I had them in assorted colors! I have been experiencing writers block the past several months, it'll pass in time.

Unknown said...

OOOH. I love the discs with the beads dangling from them. I also love the colored bead bracelets. Oh, it is all so gorgeous! Keep creating my friend. You are really talented.

Safiya Outlines said...

Fabulous. I especially like all the rainbow assortment of bracelets.

I'm sure you'll do well at the craft fair. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous opportunity you have to experience 3 supremely different cultures, and fuse elements into your own vision. I really like your style...very clean...classic, with a touch of the exotic...
cool beans!!!

Anonymous said...

These are truly gorgeous and unique pieces...I'm happy that being in Moz has helped you to find your personal vision! maybe sometimes not having all your usual resources to hand can help in being more creative and experimenting?

JP (mom) said...

Beautiful, soulful pieces of wearable art! You have found your voice! xx, JP

Anonymous said...

I live in maputo will sure check it out.beautiful creations...at fortaleza?

joyfish said...

Ali, what a nice surprise to visit and see the new direction your creativity is going in - I love the rosewood earrings!

abby - the geek girl said...

I just found your blog through a kind of random series of links... but Wow this is an amazing blog and very interesting. I really like your jewelry too, especially the disc earrings. My friends have made a lot of money of Etsy so best of luck :)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Toni - Thanks! Don't worry about the absence. I hope you are able to relax a little. Can't wait to see your shop.

~Alphawoman - I'm so glad you're enjoying them. I want to make more earrings inspired by that design - I am a sucker for asymmetry.

~Laundrygirl - The discs are my favorites, too. The colored bracelets are fun to make b/c I have to sort through this big bag of trade beads to find all of the ones of the same color.

~Safiya - Thank you! Wish you could be at the fair to check it out in person.

~Mandi - Thanks, girl!

~Stacie - "clean, classic, slightly exotic." This is so exciting for me - just the look I was going for. Interestingly, it's also similar to my personal style of dressing and the jewelry I like to use in "real life".

~Moira - It's certainly been a wonderful unexpected result of my time here in Moz. I definitely agree about the lack of materials and resources forcing me to be more creative. Sem dúvida!

~Jane Poe - Yay!! So glad you like.

~Anonymous - I'd love to see you at the crafts fair. It will be at the fortaleza, near the plaza where they have the regular saturday wood/crafts market. I'll post more details on here as the date draws closer. Thanks for visiting my blog!

~Joyfish - Thank you. In person, the rosewood are especially nice. You can see the grain in the wood, and the copper stick pearl really complements the design.

~Abzdragon - Glad you found my blog! Thanks for the kind words about my designs. Etsy has been a good experience thus far. Shame I can't put any of these new pieces on, since the Mozambican mail system isn't particularly reliable.

Willie Baronet said...

This stuff is so cool!