Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mozambican National Crafts Fair


I will be participating in this national crafts fair starting Thursday the 30th and running through Monday, September 3rd. This is one of the best and largest crafts fairs in Mozambique, and participants must go through a juried selection process. I'm happy to report that I made it in!

I've been in full production mode for the last month, and am very satisfied with a lot of the fusion pieces I've created, especially the ones using trade beads from Ilha de Moçambique. I still need to make some more necklaces and a couple of chunky rings before the fair kicks off.

I'm really excited about the event, as it is by far the largest fair I've ever participated in. Part of me is a bit wary, though, as I anticipate receiving comments or more subtle "vibes" about the fact that I am not Mozambican and am nonetheless participating in the national crafts fair, billed as a "Made in Mozambique" event. Technically my pieces are made in Mozambique, using some local materials, but I am definitely the odd one out when it comes to the participants. Hopefully everyone will be cool with it (at least I know the organizers are, we've established a good professional and personal relationship over the past months); still, I'm preparing myself for what may be an uncomfortable situation.

I'll let you know how it goes!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm praying that all goes well.
If you get a chance, post pics of some of your new work. It'll be fun to see what you are currently creating and to see the Mozambican beads and findings you have incorporated.

Toni M Photography said...

Good Luck Ali! Things will be up and running soon from my end as well. I'll e-mail you and let you know when it is,

Big hugs,
Love Toni

Mystic Indigo said...

pictures?
Would love to see your stuff! I love the idea of fusion jewelry.

Safiya Outlines said...

Don't worry, your jewellery will do the talking for you.
I can't wait to see the pictures. :)

Lacithecat said...

My dear how exciting!

I of course know exactly the job fair in question as I did significant financial damanage there last time! It was so much fun ... I remember even the wonderful food at the restaurant with the pool (the name elludes me)!

Good luck and buy me one of those sugar bowls that Jenny got! (don't really - I have no idea how I would get it from you, but I did like it)

RaCandel said...

alli!!!

quanto tempo?!!!

Então, gostaria de conhecer ao certo como é seu trabalho aí na Africa... Como é? é com ONGs? Que que vc faz?
É que eu, como futuro assistente social, gostaria de conhecer mais áreas de trabalho, e trabalhos diferentes...

me fala!!

Bjs brasileiros, maringaense...

rafa

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

Ola querida ALI, tenho uma boa noticia: dentro de menos de uma semana irei para Moçambique. Vou enviar-te agora um mail :)

Beijos

A Elite in South Africa

paris parfait said...

Ali, your jewelry is so fabulous, no doubt you'll do well. For World Blog Day, I named your blog as one of five I recommend. Come see. xo

Ali Ambrosio said...

Hi Everyone,

The fair is going well, sort of kicking my ass b/c of the long hours, but it is definitely worth it.

I will post some photos as soon as I have a chance.

~Paris Parfait - Thank you for the nomination! Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on typepad, so I can't thankyou personally over at your blog.

~Elite - Wooooo hooooooo!!! Vamos nos encontrar. Me manda um e-mail.

Anonymous said...

Gatita!! Acabei de passar no seu orkut para dar um ola! Tenho pensado mt em vc...

Ai lembrei do blog e resolvi dar um pulinho aqui! Ameeei!! Nao sei como nao tinha acessado antes... Vc eh uma fonte inesgotável de inspiracao!!

Como foram estes dias de feira? Tb quero ver fotinhos depois!!!

Arrebenta, girl!! Bjuundas

abby - the geek girl said...

Looks like an awesome event!! I am sure it will be fine, good look and be sure to post some pictures :)