Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Crazy Days Ahead

Today started out semi-disastrously, although nothing compared to the revenge poo that rang in my morning a couple of weeks ago. I woke up early, despite a mild case of food poisoning acquired yesterday from a spinach esfirra at one of my favorite restaurants that has left me feeling tired and somewhat weak.

I hauled myself out of bed before 7am because the project manager of the current contract we're doing for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO) requested a letter of recommendation from me last night that he please, please, please needed by this morning so that he could get in an application for a Ford Foundation scholarship program. He said he'd come pick it up before going to work, around 7:15, then never bothered to show up or even give me a courtesy call.

This lack of consideration for others is a common problem here. On Friday I was all excited about getting a haircut - my first one since July and desperately needed after the John Frida blue hair incident in the US - only to show up to salon and get blown off by the hairdresser. The receptionist said he'd gone to take someone to the hospital and would be right back. "Are you sure?" I asked, and she said yes, for me to sit and look at a magazine and the guy would be back in no time. 35 minutes later and one South African edition of Glamour down, I finally decided to call the hairdresser and see if he planned on showing up anytime soon. His reply? "Oh, not for at least another 40 minutes, honey. I had to give someone a ride to the central hospital." I was pissed, and told him that I totally understood having to go to the hospital but that he could have at least called me, or told the receptionist to reschedule on his behalf. Before walking home again I stopped at the bakery next to the salon and bought a big apple tart and some coconut macaroons and ate them all. I fully blame the calories on the hairdresser.

Another case in point - the other day our friend B. called for a taxi to come pick him up at his house. The taxi was a bit late, not altogether uncommon here, but after 25 minutes B. finally decided to call the driver's cell phone and see what was up. The problem? On the way to B.'s house the taxi driver had hit a pedestrian and was at the hospital going through the necessary paperwork to register the accident. The pedestrian wasn't seriously injured, but it totally escaped the guy's mind to call B. and alert him that it wouldn't be possible to give him a ride. Frustrating beyond belief.

Anyhow, back to my day. So I woke up early despite feeling like shit only to get the shaft from the guy at FAO. To add insult to injury, when I went to brush my teeth I opened the faucet and watched in disbelief as no water came out of the tap. I tired the hot water. Nothing. I went into the kitchen and went through the same exercise. No luck. There was no water in the building, never a fun thing to go through but made even worse when you are suffering from food poisoning and on the toilet at least once an hour. When there is no water in the building you can't use the sink, have a shower, wash your hands or flush the toilet as usual. It sucks.

We keep two big 20-liter canisters full of water under the sink at all times to be able to use on days like today when the water supply runs dry. I can barely lift the containers by myself, but managed to drag one into the bathroom and hoist it on top of the washing machine, which is next to the toilet, in such a position that I had some leverage and was able to fill up the back of the toilet tank each time I needed to flush.

After using the toilet and replenishing the tank a couple of times, I felt in dire need of a shower and wasn't keen on waiting around to see if the water would come back. So I lifted the water canister into the bathtub, got a plastic juice pitcher from the kitchen, and proceeded to have an improvised sponge bath with the remaining liters. It wasn't pleasant, but it was sure better than not having a shower and feeling greasy and dirty all day. Nothing like skipping a shower to make me unproductive and put me in a pissy mood.

It's now 2:30pm and there is still no water in the building. I went out before lunch and stocked up on some bottled water, juice and crackers so that I can make it through the evening without cooking, starving or dehydrating. This is the 4th time in about 3 weeks that we've had problems with the water supply. I don't really understand what the problem is, because the Indian grocery on the corner has water and I'm therefore inclined to believe it's not a city-wide or neighborhood-wide issue. It seems to be confined to our building. I asked the security guard/superintendent what was going on and he said something about the water tanks in the building being shared between apartments and that he'd already gone up to fiddle with the tank and the problem was all resolved. Only it's not. I still have no water. I'm thinking that the neighbor I share a tank with must be a water hog and is leaving me with none. Bastards. I hope it's fixed by tomorrow...

Speaking of tomorrow, that's when the madness begins. In a serious lapse of judgment, I'm participating in NaNoWriMo, the National Novel Writing Month that challenges writers to crank out a first draft of a novel of at least 50,000 words in just one month. Insanity at its finest, and I'm all geared up to be a part of it. Today I'm making an outline for what I plan to write. Tomorrow I will sit down and see how hard it is to really write 1,667 words in a day. Doesn't sound so bad, but when you consider that I basically write for a living (business plans, market studies and the occasional travel article) and that I'm supposed to be working on 2 simultaneous contracts during the month of November, it all starts to add up. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, though, and the dream of writing a novel will only happen if I am able to put the words to paper.

To satisfy curious minds: I will be writing about my experiences here in Africa - all of the stuff you've read about on the blog plus the things I've been unable or unwilling to put on the internet at this moment. The novel will consist of a love story (mine!), a series of mistakes and an amorous triangle that results in a bastard child (not mine) and the subsequent redemption of the father, the challenge of moving to a country not your own, the saga of a business being born and then burning up spectacularly in the midst of a shareholder dispute, observations about doing business in the developing world, and lots of anecdotes about travel and culture in Mozambique and surrounding countries. Not sure how it will all come together, but I have faith and they always say the ticket to success is to write what you know, right?

In other news, I participated in the crafts fair this past weekend and, despite a slow day on Saturday, my booth was on fire on Sunday. I sold more than I ever have in a weekend and got several compliments on my work. New friend Lacithecat came by with another American consultant who is here on a short-term assignment as well. Lacithecat bought a green turquoise necklace and her friend got a pair of copper chandelier earrings. It felt really good to have people validate my work as something beautiful and original. I'm set to participate in a huge crafts fair at the American School here on Nov. 18th where I hope to do some serious selling. Last night I was hit with the jewelry obsession sickness and made no less than 14 pairs of earrings and a big dangly necklace.

Business contracts, writing a novel, holiday crafts fairs...let the insanity begin!

Ah, one last thing. I may have jinxed myself by writing on the blog about the big change I'm anticipating on Nov. 13th. It may still happen, but it will certainly not be as significant an undertaking as I'd previously believed. Everything was hingeing on a meeting with a client where a budget needed to be approved. The client balked, and cut the budget by 66%, thus seriously affecting the funds available to pay me and bring to fruition the opportunity I'd referred to. I'll likely still take on this new endeavor, but not in the capacit I'd envisioned before. On the one hand, I'm disappointed. On the other, perhaps this is a sign...

16 comments:

Helen said...

Wow! I admire your strength. I really enjoy your blog and looking forward to reading your novel. Take care of yourself and I pray things settle down soon for you.
Good Luck. :)

alphawoman said...

I usually will not read a long blog entry, just glance over it skimming it. But your writing is powerful and interesting enough that I breezed through it all! Good luck with the novel writing thing. 1600 + words in ones spare time, hmmmm...is this blog going to suffer? Whenever I come to this blog I sing in my head

"I like to spend some time in Mozambique The sunny sky is aqua blue"

Thanks for that too.

Left-handed Trees... said...

I hope the water gods are smiling on you and you've managed to take a nice LONG shower by now! I am wishing you lots of luck on your NaNoWriMo journey--good for you (that's one book I will eagerly wait for)!

kanuthya said...

We take so many things for granted...forgetting that so many people don't have running water or electricity at their homes. Totally understand your anger, not having water is more than enough to make me go nuts. I remember missing work one morning because of it, I just refused to leave home without having a shower. I hope by now your problem is solved :)

claireylove said...

come on then - is it time for us to dive in to our novels yet? :-)

good luck my fellow NaNoWriMo explorer...

(p.s. really hope the water situation gets sorted x)

Safiya Outlines said...

Wow! i'm really excited by the novel, can't wait to read it as I have no doubt you will finish it.

On a different note, I've read quite a few articles lately on the increase in trade between China and Africa. What's your take on this?

Paul said...

I saw your comment over on the hippie gypsy's blog, si I thought I'd take a look. Fascinating stuff; well written, too. I'll be stopping by. Didn't Dylan say "a week in Mozambique"?

Michelle said...

I wonder if the inconsideration thing has to do with living in a country where people simply perceive time differently? I noticed some similar things in Mexico, and the upshot was that I didn't have to run around like crazy all of the time. It took me a while to adjust to it. I liked the spontenaity that resulted.

Amber said...

Wow! Holy crapola! I thought I had a lot going on. And I thought about trying NaNoWriMo, or whatever it is, but I thought I couldn't do it and study. But look at you! Go you! You certainly have lived a life worth writing about.

oxox :)

Anonymous said...

Arg geez! I wrote twice that comment! :(((((((((((((((

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Helen - I'll admire my strength, too, when NaNoWriMo is all said and done! :) I know it's the journey that counts... Thanks for the kind thoughts.

~Alphawoman - Well hopefully I'll be able to hold your attention for 50,000 words. I was relieved to see that this post was about 1,500 words, so I'm not quite as intimidated now about my daily goal. I certainly hope the blog won't suffer.

~Left-Handed Trees - The water is back. I'm looking forward to a lovely shower this morning. Thanks for the support.

~Kanuthya - I know. We do take so much for granted. I think the worst part, though, is not having water, then having to pay the water bill at the end of the month as if everything were normal! bjs.

~BB - It's today!! What is your NaNo name so I can add you as a writing buddy?

~Safiya - I'll remember your confidence when I get writer's block this month.

My take on Africa/China trade relations is that it's a mixed bag. On the one hand, I think trade between the developing nations is always a positive thing. In addition, China is a massive consumer market so many African countries have a great export opportunity there - not to mention all the cheap electrodomestics, electronics, clothes, etc. that can be imported at accessible prices.

However, many times the Chinese demand for goods is so fierce that corners are cut and trade becomes damaging to the environment. This is principally the case in the timber sector. Mozambique has a wealth of precious timber resources, and there is a ton of illegal logging going on to feed the Chinese lumber market. Both Chinese companies and Mozambican ones are engaging in these practices because the money that can be obtained is worth the risk of being caught. And when you are in a country where the court systems don't work anyway...

~Paul - Welcome! Seems everyone knows that Dylan song. :)

~Michelle - I think that is definitely part of the root cause of what I perceive to be a lack of consideration regarding appointments, committments and time. But I must say, this is the worst place I've encountered it. Brasil was pretty bad, and there I got my chance to relax, adjust to a different schedule, and enjoy the slower pace of life. Here it is 100 times more exaggerated. I try to adjust, go with the flow, but it's really terrible sometimes.

~Amber - We'll see what happens. Check in around the 17th to see what I good idea I think it is then!

~Jo Ann - Twice where? Não estou vendo 2 comentários... bjs.

paris parfait said...

Best of luck in the novel-writing and all the tasks at hand! I'm not surprised your jewelry sold well, as it's so beautiful! No doubt it will sell out at the American School fair, as people will be shopping for Christmas gifts. Sorry about all the water issues; what a pain! But it's good that you're so inventive when it comes to solutions. Bonne chance et bonne courage with the novel-writing! xo

Anonymous said...

I was lost somewhere Ali :(
I talked about the water shortage and the NaNo... :( I don't remember the exact words now...

Anyway, coragem! :)

Anonymous said...

BTW, Ali! Do you have MSN messenger?
My add is annsvh@yahoo.fr, it would be great to chat sometime!

Kristine said...

Dang girl, what a day!
I have been behind in my blog reading...
You continually amaze me with these stories about your life. If the book is anything like your blog, it'll be a hit!

Willie Baronet said...

I can't wait to read it!