Saturday, October 01, 2005

On Being American

While waiting for my flight from Johannesburg to Atlanta I was, for the first time since leaving the US five months ago, surrounded by Americans. I sat in front of Gate 6 and played anthropologist, although unlike a good scientist I could not refrain from passing judgement. I watched families and couples, wearing safari hats and khaki shorts with sneakers, carrying kitchy souvenirs from the airport shop, talking in twangy accents about what they'd seen at the South African game lodges. Most of the travelers were pudgy, loud, and overly critical of everything that was not up to par with their comfortable lives back in Arkansas or Nevada.

I am different from them, I thought to myself. I am somehow better because I live in Mozambique, speak the local language, have traveled around the world, live modestly, am not a tourist, am aware of history and geography, don't wear socks and sneakers with shorts. I am not like them. I'm New Mexican. New Mexico has culture and its residents are bilingual. My family is Italian. I studied in Rio de Janeiro. My mind was on the defensive, searching for any and all justifications to illustrate that I was not just one of the flock. How dare anyone confuse me with this mass of stereotypical Americans?

I am, however, no better than any of the people waiting with me in front of Gate 6. Deep down I know this, but in my insecurity it is easy to forget. We are all American, each one of us a unique manifestation of the positive and negative attributes of our culture, our heritage, our surroundings. Being around a large group of my compatriots, especially when I'm in "international mode", awakens the deep shame of being American I've struggled with for years. It is not a reaction that I admire in myself. In fact, it brings out in me the same arrogance and feeling of superiority that I so criticize in my fellow countrymen.

What a hypocrite I can be. Some of the people, places, and things I love the most in this world are American...my family, my friends that are passionate fighters of the good fight, free speech, entrepreneurial spirit, road trips, sunsets in Albuquerque, kayaking in Austin, shopping in San Francisco.

Even more perverse is the fact that I am an ardent defender of the US when on foreign soil. I can feel my blood boil when people in other countries start to criticize America with arguments wholly based in stereotype. I turn into a crusader, out to prove to any and all that we are more than McDonald's, Republicans, ignorance about world events, obesity, oil, and unfortunate government policies. I conjure up all of the examples I can to prove that Americans can be supremely intelligent, compassionate, liberal, health-conscious, and politically and environmentally aware. I become the most patriotic person possible, proud of my country and the fact that I am, along with many others, an exception to the stereotypical rule.

I can't help but wonder what this love/hate relationship with the US must do to one's identity. How is it possible to have a truly positive sense of self when part of you detests what you are and the place where you ultimately call home?

4 comments:

Bart Treuren said...

thank you for a lovely, intelligent and philosophical post... I enjoyed it immensely and it gave me lots to (re-)think about...

my own take, based on your excellent observations, is that we're all people, all different but almost the same no matter how far or how close we live to each other and all needing differing forms of reassurance in times or places of dislocation...

you observed well and thank you for pointing out the anthropologists/sociologists dilemma... how do you examine or describe a population without polluting your work with your own preconceptions...

in some ways, we're all tourists in life, unaware, unthinking but hopefully not uncaring...

keep well

Anonymous said...

TEAM U.S.A.!!! Shit, it's our nature to be critical of ourself while simultaineously being extremely proud of our flawed nature. God bless the land of the ... ahem... free?

Anonymous said...

When I first moved to France, spent my first Christmas at a cousin's in Paris. And he said "it was when I arrived in France that I noticed how PanAfrican I was".
It's true. When you are around your own "people" (you share the same background, language, you have a common language), you don't notice you are one of them in spite of everything you agree or disagree.
Now, when you're abroad, it comes to a different perspective. You are one of them and you proudly say it. I've never been as Angolan and as African since I left Africa and defend the colours (the flag) of my country and continent. Because I'm proud of it and sure want everyone else to know about it...

:)

Marcia Francois said...

Ali, you know I'm trawling through your archives...

I was exactly the same the minute I went overseas on our first trip (Australia). I became proudly South African (my husband was like, who are you?!) and started appreciating almost everything about our country - the sheer beauty, diversity of people, the fact that we're so first world in the big cities and so third world in a lot of other places.

:)