Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Oh. This Again.

Today I feel like crap. C-R-A-P. I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude about my health because I believe there is a strong mind-body connection that directly affects my allergies. Apparently in my case the allergies are caused by emotions and stress, so it's even more important for me to keep a healthy mindset and believe that I have the power to help myself heal. I meditate, I do breathing exercises, I'm trying to sort out the emotional stuff that may be the root cause of the allergies, I take my herbal remedies and vitamins, I've tried conventional treatments...and yet, here I am, still suffering from these mysterious attacks. Today I don't feel very positive. I just feel sniffy, sneezy, exhausted and like my temples are in a vice.

I tried to cheer myself up by taking a trip to the fancy-schmancy expat grocery store this afternoon. I spent more on 5 or 6 items than I do in an entire week's worth of normal shopping at the Indian grocery on the corner. A little splurge was worth it, though. So what did I indulge in? Well, all the things that I crave and can't usually find anywhere except specialty shops. I bought celery, broccoli, a big crate of nectarines that are perfectly ripe and I intend to eat until I'm sick of them, then freeze the rest, a mint-toffee chocolate bar and some canned gourmet cat food.

The boys and I all enjoyed the treat, and most of the evening was spent munching on something or other and cuddling. I also watched some really trashy tv. "The Simple Life" is being shown here in Mozambique and I am thoroughly embarrassed by everything that program peddles as entertainment and cultural values.

10 comments:

Bilal said...

sorry to hear that- whenever i feel crap i look around me- and lo and behold, there is someone is a much worse position with a massive smile on their face:)

paris parfait said...

Isn' it the truth about "The Simple Life?" They showed it on French television recently and I watched ten minutes and turned away in disgust. You're so right about the mind-body connection and allergies, which I also suffer. But it sounds as though you're looking after yourself - just try to get a bit more rest until you're feeling yourself again. xo

JP (mom) said...

Sounds like some pampering was definitely in order! Trashy tv is a guilty pleasure ... for me, it's the occasional reality show. Anyway, hope you feel better soon. much peace and good thoughts for healthier days, JP

Annie Jeffries said...

omigosh, the simple life? no wonder people around the world have such a twisted idea of who we really are. my son spend two weeks in eastern russia about three years ago. All the young women were stuck in the 80's and Dynasty (the most popular program on TV at the time). It was bad.

On a happier note, good for you indulging yourself AND the boys.

Alina said...

Ali, hope you will feel better soon! As for the treats you mentioned, I think it was well deserved :)

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i hope you are taking care of yourself...giving yourself some space to understand the mind-body connection and live your way through it.

i am sending you a nice long nap, peaceful non-sneezing moments, and a warm hug.

Kristine said...

Your grocery trip sounds well worth it! Feel better...

claireylove said...

sounds like you deserved the pampering - enjoy!

Amber said...

Ugg, the Simple Life! God I hate the impression in gives.

I hope you are feeling better by now.

:)

Narrator said...

You can freeze fruit?

Long time no type, Ali. Hugs.