Thursday, September 06, 2007

Spring Art and Cleaning

Bit by bit I'm getting organized again in the aftermath of the crafts fair, Rico's short stay and somewhat hurried departure from Maputo, and weeks of too little time and a lack of motivation to clean/organize/arrange/deal with clutter.

Yesterday I embarked on a massive spring clean. I'm about 40% done, though I still haven't even touched on the office. I'm leaving the worst for last, as I can't deal with all the papers and jewelry supplies scattered about at the moment. Somehow the bathroom cabinet and my closet were easier to tackle, and I'm proud to say they are now nice and orderly, expired meds thrown out, forgotten items donated, and summer clothes moved into my main closet.

Part of spring cleaning means unloading the photos from my 2 cameras. Here is a small preview of the creations I sold at the fair.

The first several designs are made with a mix of 300-year-old trade beads from Ilha de Moçambique, semi-precious stones, pearls and sterling silver wire. The last photo is a necklace with blackwood discs (that I sourced through an artisan in Nampula Province), all wire-wrapped in silver with lilac pearls.





I'm going to be quite busy this next week producing yet another collection, as I've been invited to show my work at the new shop that is opening at the Franco-Mozambican Cultural Center. More on this later, but I am bursting with excitement over this opportunity. I will be only 1 of 2 (fine) jewelry artists featured!

7 comments:

Marcia Francois said...

Oh, Ali, I'm so proud of you on both counts:

1. spring cleaning and organising
2. your next exhibition

Woohoo - I'm raising my cup of tea to you :)

Organising queen and
Marcia's take charge blog

Anonymous said...

OMG, these look so beautiful! The reddish earrings are my favorite :)

Good luck with the cleaning, I should do just that soon!

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for the report on your show...and it looks like you did fantastic!
I am getting ready for mine on Sunday...new city...new people...equals stress!!! Glad you got the gig for your next exhibition....

Amber said...

Your work is beautiful! I love it.



:)

Unknown said...

These are amazing!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Marcia - Still going strong with the spring cleaning. It seems it never ends!!

~Alina - Thank you. I'm hoping to make a similar pair to the red ones for my next exhibition.

~Stacie - Uff, the fair was a lot of work and very taxing. I'm sure you can understand the unique exhaustion of showing and selling your work. Good luck at your fair - I can't wait to hear how it went.

~Amber - Thank you, thank you!!

~Laundrygirl - You are so sweet to me. :)

Narrator said...

Aliiiii, I love this chunky necklace. And that five-spiral tumbled metal ring on your site. Must shop "Ali." Must.

Do you ship to Canada?