Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'll Love You 'Till My Heart Stops

I do a lot of musing on here about how my relationships with friends and family have been affected by my travels and ultimate choice to live in a country not my own.

Most often I am feeling lonely and homesick when I write about this topic. I focus on the changes that have led me to feeling isolated, and it becomes quite easy to believe that I exist in a world where nobody will ever understand me or the omnipresent saudades that fill my heart.

Then there are moments, like just now, where I am left glowing because I realize that certain connections with certain people will never wilt away to an unrecognizable, lesser version of what they once were. There are bonds out there capable of surviving both distance and time. The relationships change and evolve, as is natural as we grow older and have new experiences, but I am satisfied to recognize that with a handful of friends and family we seem to travel parallel paths, albeit through completely different universes.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I have found this to be true. I have some friends I have had from the age of eight. And then others from highschool. They change-- we all change-- but the bond stays. It is a blessing. Huge.

:)

Bilal said...

i plan to move to the UK for 6 months soon- any tips:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ali,

This is Teri from Albuquerque. I had you in my drop down box from my La Fuerza Artemis blogging days last summer.

After reading some of your latest posts, I have an itch to start journaling again. Who knows, I might actually blog. Blog is such a weird word!

Take care. :)

El Erik said...

Hi Ali,
yeah, know what you mean. Afraid I have lost a lot of friends with the unmerciful passage of time, although sometimes, just sometimes, yo meet some, and then realize that some great memories are shared over time...It sucks to say goodbye, I am the worse at it in the world, because I get really scared that I wont see people again!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Amber - I have a lot of friends from middle school that I'm still quite close with, but none that I can think of from earlier. It is a great blessing to have these bonds.

~Bilal - Oooh, as I'm sure you can imagine I could go on for ages about this. :) Quick tips are to bring lots of small souvenirs from RSA to distribute to friends and colleagues; find Yahoo groups for the area where you will be - it's a good way to meet new people that share your interests; figure out what are the essential elements of your routine at home now, and be sure to bring along/incorporate at least some in your new home - it really helps to have a certain tea or song or whatever available when you get homesick. :)

~Teri - Hey girl. I say go for it. Come back to the blog world!!

~El Erik - I also am awful at goodbyes. I sob when I leave my parents and Rico, and tend to feel numb for all others...it's an awful thing to realize that you likely may never see the person again. Que depressão - ugh! But I also prefer casual goodbyes because the drama of a big despedida makes it all worse for me.