Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Return of the Shit

Pria took a revenge shit on my bed again this morning. It's the first such incident since we got the cats fixed at the beginning of the year. The message was loud and clear - someone was unhappy that I've been out of the house for most of the weekend.

Pria planned the revenge poo in a very strategic manner. Were I not already an old hand at this game, I'd have certainly been in for a very unpleasant surprise.

I woke up this morning at 8:30 with a massive hangover and only 2 hours of sleep under my belt. Suffice to say last night was a good one - we went to the Franco Moçambicano to see a concert, then to Cristal to eat, then to a new bar called Havana and finally to The Lounge/Coconuts for dancing.

It was one of those nights where you come out of the club and it's already light out. Given the fact that I saw the sun rise, you can imagine that all I wanted was to sleep late into the afternoon. Unfortunately, I had to meet a client who was driving up from South Africa and could only see me this morning.

Reluctantly, I hauled myself out of bed when the alarm went off. I brushed my teeth, made a desperate cup of tea and checked my e-mail. I called the client to see how the drive up was coming along. He said he was stuck at the border and would be delayed by 1 hour. "Perfect," I thought, "I can go back to sleep for a little while."

I shuffled back to the bedroom and was about to lie down when I smelled the unmistakeable scent of cat shit. Pria lurked guiltily in the corner, and the covers were in a ball in the middle of the mattress, certainly not how I'd left them. I knew all too well what this meant - a little treasure waiting for me under the blanket, carefully covered up by the cat's shuffling paws.

Sadly, I was dead right. Not only did I not get any more sleep, I had the always pleasant experience of uncontrollable gagging bright and early in the morning. I shoved all the blankets and sheets in the washing machine, filled the detergent compartiment to the brim, and kicked off the sanitization process that will continue to tomorrow with an additional heavy wash and perhaps some bleach thrown in for good measure.

I've had many cats in my life, but never one remotely as vengeful as Pria. Sometimes I wonder if this is a foreshadowing of what our children will be like one day. Is this acting out somehow a reflection of my total lack of cat-rearing (and consequently parenting) skills? I can only hope that I'm paying my dues now, in feline form, as opposed to the much more complicated (though perhaps slightly less smelly) mess that can come from a teenager hellbent on getting his way.

Note to self: totally not ready for kids yet!

9 comments:

Francesca said...

Ah! Ah! Ah! This reminds me of what happened 4 years ago. I came back home after 10 days of work as a runner for a documentary maker. Some friends were feeding the cats, but the 4 of them (let me underline it, 4 cats) had the flat basically for themselves for 10 days. And they were also not overly happy about it...

I was just lucky they focused on the sofa, so I could lay down for a couple of hours before starting my own personal war...

All this to say that I am with you! Boa sorte!

Anonymous said...

I can feel your pain, but i still find this funny! And don't worry about kids, they do the shitty stuff in their first years of life. They develop much more advanced techniques by the time they are teenagers :)

Left-handed Trees... said...

Sorry to hear this is back...maybe it will only be a short lived vengeful-fest!
Love,
D.

Lacithecat said...

Unbelievable! Darnit Pria! What a dominate, needy bugger. I just fished a live bee out of my hair. ewww!

He better not continue this.

Sigh ...

And I thought Laci attacking me the moment I came in was bad enough.

Safiya Outlines said...

You're not the only one with bad cats. One of my parent's cats came in through the cat flap, hopped on the kitchen counter and peed in my Mum's freshly made porridge. She was not impressed!

Seriously though, aside from his gender confusion in his kittenhood, I wonder what is making Pria do this?

Anonymous said...

Oh my...
I thought not having water was a bad way to start the day..
Your story wins!!!

jenica said...

haha. i had a dog like this once. he was an outside dog but we let him in at night during the winter. if we had not played enough with him before we went to bed he would wait about 10 minutes and then shit downstairs. i knew it was vengeful because he had been outside ALL day, it's not like he suddenly had to go... butt headed dog.

luckily with your own kids, love overwhelms the stench... most of the time. ;-D

Anonymous said...

where you there for the coconuts club shooting? your cat has a strong personality

Unknown said...

Awhkkkk! Just when you thought it was over...
I'm just glad your wedding dress isn't there.