Friday, March 09, 2007

Planning Ahead

The wedding will be in Rio de Janeiro.

The ceremony will be in a small gothic-style Anglican church in Santa Teresa that is in dire need of some refurbishing, but magical nonetheless. Rico and I saw a couple getting married here last year and it touched me so much I cried all the way up the stairs to the casa rosa.

The reception will be in the casa rosa, which is also in need of some work. We need to paint, replace some of the 5-meter-tall doors and shutters, spruce up the courtyard garden and put the lion's head fountain back in working order, and buy several pieces of furniture and art.

The date, assuming that the church accepts us semi-heathens (I was baptized Episcopalian but did not continue with the church, and Rico is Catholic but didn't quite make it to his First Communion) and is available for rent, will be May 24th, 2008. We figured that a federal holiday (US) plus more than a year's notice will make it possible for as many friends and family members as possible to attend the wedding.

Planning a wedding is something I never thought I'd be doing, especially at this point in my life. (Before moving to Mozambique I swore I'd be celibate for a year and not get involved with anyone, but that is a story for a different post.) I confess I am loving the process and already am starting to think about my dress, the flowers, the party, the honeymoon and all the wonderful years that will come after this commitment.

12 comments:

African Kelli said...

what a fabulously exciting time of life!
Many congrats. :)

Alina said...

Wow, congrats, congrats, congrats. Best of luck with everything. Also, i wish you loads of patience. You will need it! Trust me, I have never seen a bride to be with too much of that :)

Anonymous said...

i am excited for you, ali! i hope your future with rico will be filled with many blessings!

Kristine said...

Sounds like it's going to be amazing. I am excited for you.

sara said...

It's such an exciting time, planning a wedding! Yours sounds like it's going to be so beautiful, and knowing how talented and creative you are, I can't WAIT to see pictures and read all about it.

I really look forward to hearing about your plans and sharing in your excitement, vicariously, on the other side of the world. The joy of blogging!

Anonymous said...

One of my best friends is getting married in August, I'm her "madrinha". I can see her with that good kind of stress :)

Alessandra Cave said...

A Brazilian wedding! Que maravilha! Parabens! ;)

Mimey said...

Fingers crossed for smooth and uneventful preparations.

Safiya Outlines said...

I tried to comment before but Blogger ate it. Anyway, I made lots of girly squeals as I read this, because it all sounds so wonderful. I'm so thrilled for you!

deedee said...

Enjoy this beautiful part of your life, I hope someday to see photos of your Casa Rosa.

claireylove said...

Sounds like you have magical plans, Ali ~ I hope the universe grants all your wishes together (despite your heathenism ;-) xxx

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Sounds amazing!!! Best of luck with the planning