Friday, March 23, 2007

Explosions in Maputo Kill 72, Injure Hundreds

The explosions from the national armory finally stopped last night around 21h. Rico and I sat glued to the news, watching unsettlingly graphic footage of people being taken to the hospital, many missing limbs. Hundreds of people were forced to flee their homes as the explosions sent mortars and rockets, not to mention a constant rain of shrapnel, into heavily populated residential neighborhoods. The news channels also showed slow motion footage of the largest explosions. I couldn't believe my eyes as I saw the first few seconds of the bombs that caused the black smoke I later photographed from our balcony. There were literally mushroom clouds of fire soaring up over Maputo, smaller rockets streaking across the sky like fireworks with each large explosion.

This morning's daily newspapers are not out yet (it's nearly 11am). The news we've been getting so far is either from local TV or international media reports on the internet. At latest count, 72 people were killed in the accident and nearly 350 injured. The toll is likely to rise over the coming days.

Here are some links to international articles if you are interested:

In English here, here and here.

In Portuguese here.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just recently moved to Maputo and I must say that I was pretty scared yesterday! I thought that it was an earthquake and ran to the street (the one you mentioned, Julius Nyerere) from my house. Later I saw the explosion on TV. Really terrible, and so many people lost their lives...

--jenna said...

wow. mozambique has been hit really hard recently...this is so sad. these disasters always hit the poor so hard. one of the articles mentioned the depot was located in an empoverished area of town- a slum? they didn't mention how many families lost their homes as a result of the explosions...my prayers are with maputo.

Alina said...

Sorry to hear about all this. I read both your posts on this issue and it all sounds really terrifying.

African Kelli said...

Oh that is just terrible! Do they know where the bombs came from?

Safiya Outlines said...

Blogger keeps eating my comments, I have been praying you are both safe everyday.

This is such a sad,sad waste of life and a land that has suffered so much already

JP (mom) said...

What a terrifying experience. So much sadness for so many affected families. I am glad that you and Rico are safe and well. Much peace, JP

Mauricio said...

Ali,

Que vocês estejam bem, fiquei preocupado quando vi no jornal, tomem cuidado.

Meus melhores pensamentos e esperança que volte a paz com justiça social e especialmente para vcs.

Aqui no Rio tb não está fácil.

Sorte.

Masood Ahmed said...

Very sad..and I pray for your safety and well being along with the safety of all of the people in Maputo.

kanuthya said...

I'm so glad you guys are safe.
So many dead people...:( Such a stupid accident, after so many years of war, now that it finally ended its tools still kill.
BTW, all the news related to the PALOP are followed in Portugal. As you know, many, many people from Mozambique live there.
Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali, thanks for your posting. It really tells it all. Saddest for the people who lose because of incompetence,
Erik

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

The same thing happened in Angola like 10years ago and I remember that all Luanda was shacking and buildings also for many hours... be brave and I hope everything will be ok!

Kathleen said...

i am speechless. how horrible for all involved.
glad to know you are safe...stay that way, please!

sending peaceful vibes your way and keeping you in my prayers.

Ali Ambrosio said...

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers and kind thoughts - not just for me and Rico, but for all the people in Moz that were affected by this tragedy.