Monday, March 05, 2007

I've Got the Crafting Bug...Bad!

All I can think about these days is how much I want to learn how to sew, how I want to take up painting again, how I need more time to make jewelry, how I miss having a blowtorch mounted on my kitchen table for lampworking, how I want to paint the wall of our bedroom *yesterday* with the chocolate colored suede-finish paint Rico and I got at GAME...

Of course this is, like, the one period when I actually don't have oodles of spare time on my hands to do art projects...though you wouldn't know it with the spurt of blogging I had today, would you?

I'm really looking forward to going home in April-June for a visit. I plan on taking classes in silversmithing, soldering, gemology, precious metal clay, lost wax molds and more. I also want to hit the crafts stores hard to stock up on supplies. Most of all, I'm looking forward to having an art appreciation buddy (my Momma Dog) and a crafting buddy (my stepmom, Laura) by my side again to inspire me and cheer me on.

One of my very favorite things ever is sorting beads by color, shape and material. Laura and I did plenty of sorting when I was in the US last September. As you can see from our matching blue "uniforms", we really take our work seriously.

Even poor Rico got suckered into some compartamentalizing, putting my Dad's old tackle boxes to good use.

During my last trip, Laura taught me how to crochet. Here we are checking out some knitting patterns in a magazine from the 1970's. This time around I want to learn how to use the sewing machine!!

No, I wasn't kidding when I said I missed having a blowtorch on my kitchen table. This was my studio/eating space back in my apartment in Austin. Here I'm working on some glass beads, the original way I got hooked on jewelry making.

Friends, this is my idea of bliss...plentiful art supplies, friends and family around to keep me company, and endless vacation hours to create away uninterrupted.

8 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

I do like the picture of you with the blowtorch :)

Can't wait to see your latest creations.

African Kelli said...

If you can wield a blow torch, God knows you can sew!! I hope you have a great trip home and what fun those classes sound like!

Alina said...

The blowtorch is really cool, Ali! I want one. :P

Hope you have enough time soon to concentrate on what you would like to do, rather than on what you should.

Bilal said...

blowtorch sounds real dangerous- take care:)

Mauricio said...

Uma passada para dizer olá!!!

Tudo tranquilo do outro lado do Atlântico?

Saudações rubro-negras!

Amber said...

It looks fun. And you are so pretty.:)

I want to learn to sew, too! I bought a machine-- a good one-- like ten years ago, and have never touched it. I need to take a class. I WILL take a class. I really really will. I remember this lady I knew who made all these AMAZING outfits for her little girl, and I always thought I would do that too! But. Um...not so much. lol

:)

Anonymous said...

Mozambique??
hello and thank you for this blog ....good day

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya - My friend Dan took a series of these photos, starting with me lighting the blowtorch and ending with a finished glass bead. They are pretty cool, if I do say so myself.

~African Kelli - Seriously, I can't wait to get my hands on a sewing machine. You'll have to give me some tips on easy beginner patterns.

~Alina - I can't wait for my trip home because I'll have ample time just for crafting. If only every day were like this...

~Bilal - Yes, my landlady wasn't too happy to know I was playing with fire inside the apartment.

~Mauricio - Oi, bom fim de semana para você também. Estou te devendo uma visita virtual.

~Amber - Thanks. :) I have similar aspirations to make my own clothes and cute stuff for friends and (eventually) my kids. We'll see how it goes in the motivation department...

~Bernard - Yes, it's been home for nearly the last 2 years.