Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Pickers

Yesterday, to my absolute delight, I discovered that my elbows are peeling, thick callousy layers of skin just waiting to be picked at and tugged off by my short but determined fingernails. I spent a good 20 minutes peeling off layer after layer of weird, wrinkly elbow skin. I was so engrossed in this task that I didn't even hear Ricardo call my name to see what I wanted to drink.

You see, my friends, I am a picker. I love to pop a pimple, coax out an ingrown hair (especially those stubborn ones that burrow after a wax), peel a sunburn, rip off those weird dead skin blisters that sometimes appear on my feet or hands, or - the best - squeeze at this strange pin-sized hole on my shoulder that perpetually fills up with a ribbon of white goop.

I think the world can be divided along these lines - the Pickers, and the People that are Utterly
Grossed Out by the Pickers and their obsessive ways.

So while I go back to peeling away at my elbow, I would love to know where you all stand. Fellow Pickers - I know you're out there! Come by and leave a comment about your favorite thing to squeeze or pop. And anti-Pickers, feel free to express how strange we really are!

11 comments:

sara said...

Yup -- picker. My mom used to have to tape oven mitts to my hands to keep me from picking scabs until they just wouldn't heal. I still have lots of little scars all over my hands and wrists and back from childhood insect bites that I just couldn't leave alone.

Safiya Outlines said...

Me too! I'm a picker. I could pick for a living and be happy all day long!

I do not understand the ways of non-pickers. How can you let a big spot stay on your face until it turns green? I think they are the disgusting ones.

Alina said...

I am the moderate picker,I guess :D I pick what needs to be picked, with no particular pleasure or disgust.

Ali Ambrosio said...

I have to add in here that Ricardo, thankfully, is also a picker. It's always much easier in a relationship when the other person understands your burning desire to squeeze something on his/her back, or the fact that you are capable of wasting an entire afternoon if you have a pair of tweezers in your hand.

~Telfar - like you, Ricardo goes for the scabs. His legs are full of scars from mosquito bites.

Willie Baronet said...

So where do the pickers who like to pick other peoples things fit into to your worldview? They are the truly deranged. :-)

Narrator said...

I do NOT pick. I exfoliate my body quite a bit and determinedly so when it comes to my feet (teaching for nearly three years was hell on my feet)...but I don't pick.

I let a zit run its full course and commit suicide on my face, much to the dismay of my picker friends who encourage me to kill the offensive pustule.

I do tweeze obsessively to keep my brows clean. I can't stand seeing a stray hair and looooooove to coax out a prickle that's still under the skin. It's so satisfying. But then I'll go to the other extreme and let them get gross so I can sit down and have a pluckfest while I watch TV and drink water.

Tomas said...

here here to the pickers of the world! i even love to be picked. you know, how some people only want to be the picker, i just love the concept of picking. physically ridding yourself of the filth and junk. i love to pick other peoples pickies too!

Kristine said...

I guess I am a picker. I've never admitted that. I inspect my face each night for blackheads. I pluck my brows every chance I get - even when the hair has not grown enough to come out...
HOWEVER - I DO NOT pick other people. I think that's gross!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Rrramone - the pickers that like to pick on other people are just fine in my worldvies, possibly because I am one of them!

~Non Vocabulum - I'm sorry, I just don't understand people that can leave a zit to fester. But I do understand completely the desire to leave hairs to get all nasty so that they can be deliciously coaxed out all at once.

I need to start exfoliating...

~Alina, for some reason I'm not surprised that you are moderate. :)

~Kristine - I inspect every night, too.

Narrator said...

I know, pickers don't understand zit-leavers and vice versa. I'm sorry I disgusted you :))

The next zit that happens, I'll burst it in your honour. Then I'll mail you the pus.

Ali Ambrosio said...

Yum, yum!