Sunday, July 23, 2006

A Year's Worth of Flowers

I had just finished showering when I heard the key turn in the lock of our front door. Ricardo was home. "I think I'll surprise him," I thought to myself, and walked out into the hall naked. What better way to welcome home someone who has spent an entire Saturday afternoon working?

Little did I know, Ricardo had a suprise of his own in store for me. Flowers, four huge bunches of them, purchased on the way home from a street vendor. The bouquets were so huge I could barely see Ricardo's face behind all the blossoms - white crysanthemums, yellow gladioli, peach sweetheart roses, and a stunning purple and yellow flower that I've yet to identify but is definitely my favorite.


"I've been meaning to get you flowers for a long time, but it's hard to surprise you. We're never apart." (It's true!) Ricardo continued, "Today I took advantage and bought all the flowers I should have given you over the past year." He smiled and handed me the four huge bouquets.

I stood in the hallway, naked, my arms full of flowers, and started to cry. What a lovely boyfriend I have. Shame he's leaving tomorrow...

8 comments:

Bart Treuren said...

you guys are just so great for each other...

be good ;-)

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

You were both surprised and so well :) aproveita todos os segundos a partir de agora!!

Beijos!

paris parfait said...

How lovely! Both of you with your surprises. Gorgeous photos.

Narrator said...

Ali, that's so sweet! You make me want a boyfriend.

Though I blushed to know about the naked part. Despite my vulgarities, I can be quite modest.

sara said...

That's the sweetest gesture...I'm sorry you guys have to be separated for so long. But you have such a great relationship, you'll both get through it, and when you're reunited and together again, you'll be SO HAPPY.

Hope you're not too sad at parting with Rico temporarily -- and I hope the time flies for you until you're together again!

Alina said...

A beautiful gesture indeed! You are that type of couple that people use to give example of a strong, loving and beautiful relastionship, I guess! Keep it up and be strong for the months to come!

Kristine said...

That's so sweet!

Ali Ambrosio said...

So Ricardo has left for Brasil and I am here in Maputo holding down the fort with our 2 kittens.

The flowers are in a big green bucket in the middle of the dining table (I don't own any vases).

Decent update about the week's events to come soon...