Friday, July 14, 2006

Two Big, Lazy Cats

Well, blogger will only let me upload these two photos for now, so I guess this will be a lion story in three or four parts.

Here you can see the two male lions wrestling and horsing around with each other in the grass. As we watched them playing, Ricardo (who is new to the world of cats - both domestic and wild) marveled at how similar the lions' behavior was to that of our kittens, Pria and Parceiro.

After a good tumble, the lions lay down to rest and wait for the ladies to arrive with food. They have such a regal presence, truly beautiful animals.

What was amazing to me was how safe I felt in their presence. I mean, these guys were not 3 or 4 meters from our open-sided safari vehicle. If the lions had wanted to, it would have been ridiculously easy to hop in the Land Cruiser with us. But the vehicle gave me a tremendous and false sense of security. If I had been on foot, my heart would have been beating wildly and my palms beading up with sweat.

Actually, I think I'd really like to do a walking safari if I ever get the chance. Being in the vehicle is conveninent and you really do feel safe. But part of the experience also feels fake. I don't really know how to describe it...

5 comments:

meghan said...

wow - what an experience - I am so amazed at all of the things you are doing - amazed!!! (and more than a little jealous!!)

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

You get to see them so close in Africa sometimes, but "we" don't live amongst them :) I love your blog, makes me travel! Beijos!

kanuthya said...

I understand the wish to be closer to them, Ali, but don't let the similarities between them and the smaller versions fool you :) I love cats, both big and little. Black panthers are probably the animals which fascinate me the most (they're really leopards with a melanin "problem"), I guess I'll have to travel to Southern America to see them in their own environment :)
But some members of my family would beg you, on their knees, not to get out of that jeep. There pretty amazing stories with those fabulous big cats in my family :)
By the way, are you very sensitive to smells? Because if you are, better to keep a safe distance :)

Willie Baronet said...

Ah, to be a lion. :-)

Anonymous said...

wow! what an incredible experience that must have been! my only experience with lions is through animal planet and the zoo (which always makes me uncomfortable). africa seems amazing...