Friday, July 07, 2006

Nothin' Like a Deadline

...to force a decision, and quickly!

Soon after I found out I couldn't use my Continental miles to upgrade on Air France, my travel agent informed me that I had until the end of business today to purchase my ticket or else I'd lose my reservation and "super cheap" fare of $1900.

Depressingly, $1900 to fly round trip from Johannesburg to Albuquerque is actually a good deal. So I jumped. I talked to my dad, confirmed the dates, made payment arrangements, and told the agent to ticket the darn thing.

The bright side of all this, aside from the fact that I'm going to see my family and hang out with Ricardo in my hometown, is that I will have an ungodly layover in Paris. Bloggie friends that live in or near Paris - I want to meet you!!!!!!!!! This, certainly, will add a bright side to my long and torturous flights. E-mail me if you are interested / available between 3pm and 9:30pm on September 20th.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in the Mediterranean, but I can go up to see you. :D September, right?

sara said...

I wish!!

I've been keeping up with your travel pains and I THOUGHT I could relate -- but girl, you live farther away from your home than I do from mine, by a longshot!

At least I get a direct flight from my current continent to my home continent. I don't know how you do it.

I suspect the thought of seeing those faces you love on the other end has a lot to do with it.

I'm excited that you get to go home, and even if you'll be missing Ricardo, you'll get to see lots of other people you've no doubt missed, too! There's nothing like a homecoming, to one of the places you called / call home.

Bart Treuren said...

oh dear... amsterdam's not really that handily close to paris at any time of year... sigh...

could we make other arrangements ;-)

keep well...

Alina said...

While I am not envious of this enourmous trip of yours in any way! But you should enjoy your stay in Paris, wish I were closer :)ngpc

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Ladybird - Yes, of course!!! If it is possible for you to make it to Paris, I'd love for us to meet.

~Telfair - In all fairness, there is a direct flight from my current continent to my home continent. South African Airways flies to Washington-Dulles and to JFK. They used to have service to Atlanta (which was a nice if not a bit long option for me) but recently did away with that flight.

In addition to being more expensive, it is actually just as much of a hassle to get from the East Coast to Albuquerque as it is to endure the extra hours of a trans-atlatic flight that goes straight to Houston.

~Bart and Alina - Sometime in the future we will do a proper trip to Europe where maybe it will work to meet up!

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

That date is so PRECISE! I dont know what I am going to do tomorrow! But meeting you must be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Ali...
Dear, I would love to see u in Paris....:-(
Can u just change ans come to London intead????
My friend, enjoy ur holiday,have loads of fun in Abq(wonder if any of the brasilians still in there),Oh dear ,I miss so much NM!!!
And most important,give lots of hugs and kisses on ur parents, and Recharge ur batteries!!!
Luv u!!!
Gaby