Monday, July 31, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: My Two Cents

I don't know what it is, but ever since Ricardo left I've felt completely exhausted. Granted, I am waking up quite early and being more productive during the day than I was when Rico was here, but I find myself just wanting to collapse at the end of the evening.

I am feeling especially drained today after spending 7 hours preparing a writing sample for that Project Monitor position with the EU I interviewed for two weeks ago. As a result, despite all of the potential soapboxes I could mount for the current Sunday Scribblings topic, I have decided to keep it very simple.

My two cents worth is that Paul Theroux's book "Dark Star Safari" is the most accurate and best-written account of Africa I've yet to come across. It is the story of an overland trip the author took from Cairo to Cape Town, with an added prologue about the situation in Zimbabwe. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about this continent, its problems and the only hope - in my opinion as well as Mr. Theroux's - for a way forward.

Since I'm already plugging things in this post, I'll add here that the online interview I did last week is now published, and the site is actually quite extensive and has some great interviews. Check out my interview and the experiences of other expats here. I suppose this also qualifies for my two cents about living and working in Mozambique.

6 comments:

Alina said...

Ali, I guess it is normal to feel exhausted when you are pushing yourself that much! Good luck with all your projects and thanks for the book recommendation.

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon Miss Ali, I was just telling your father how much I enjoy reading your blog. I've never read a blog before, but your dad gave me the address a couple of weeks ago and I check up on your doings everyday.
At this point you may be asking yourself, "Who is this strange person?" I just started working as the other computer instructor at TeamWorks with B.G.
I was just telling him that I check out your blog almost everyday - and that I'm getting quite a kick out of following your adventures.
I'd like to meet you when you come to Albuquerque. Do lunch and all that.
Now here's the burning question? Who'd going to take care of the kitties while you're gone. As a cat woman myself - with a 13 year old cat and a 5 month old kitten (what was I thinking) that was the question I asked B.G. He doesn't know the answer either.
I've also never sent a comment to someone on a blog. Does it feel weird to hear from someone you don't know?
Atta' girl Miss Ali and keep posting updates and kitty pictures.
Kim

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Alina - Guess how I dealt with the exhaustion this evening? I took a bath! My first one in over a year. (to clarify, I bathe regularly, but standing up in the shower and not laying down in the bathtub)

~Kim - It's so nice to meet you virtually, and I'd love to do lunch and meet properly when I'm back home next month.

To answer your question, the kitties will go stay with the lovely couple that originally rescued them from the trash bin. These girls have a zoo of a house, with several dogs and cats, including one that is likely a cousin of the two kittens we have now. They love animals, so I'll be able to travel with peace of mind.

I'm glad you commented here, and hope that you will more times. And thanks for reading!

Say hi to my dad for me, and pester him without mercy to install Skype on his computer so we can talk for free!

Laini Taylor said...

I'll have to read that Theroux book! Thanks for the recommendation. And your interview was really interesting -- what a life you've had so far in your 24 years!

paris parfait said...

Ali I have Theroux's book; I like his writing, which is very insightful (haven't been to Africa though, other than North Africa). I'm sure the pressure of preparing for the interview, your crafts fair, your trip and all the multiple balls you're juggling in the air have something to do with why you're so tired! Get some rest, dear heart. xo

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed reading your interview, ali! and i am diggin' the photos of your flat!!!