Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I Belong Everywere. I Belong Nowhere.

It's always an interesting experience when I come back to the US (or even Brasil) for a visit. I've definitely had some reverse culture shock, but in different ways than last year.

What sticks out in my mind from previous visits to the US - bear in mind that I was still living in Chimoio - is that I was shocked by how much concrete there is in the Bay Area. I got off the airplane and was overwhelmed by the overpasses, the sidewalks, the office buildings, the parking lots. Everything was industrial-looking and developed. Even the green spaces were planned out! So different from my reality at the time, which consisted of 2 paved roads in the city and most all structures being haphazardly put together, in need of some serious paint and plaster work, everything coated in a layer of red dust.

This time, as we have now been living in the big city Maputo for over a year, my impressions are different. No longer the bustle of the city shocks me, although everything is cleaner and more organized (and, resultingly, more character-less) here in the Bay Area. I think what has struck me the most this time around is how much commerce there is around here. Literally everywhere you look there is a coffee shop, a dry cleaner's, a furniture shop, a Target, a taqueria, a kitchen utensil store, an organic market. My mom said it's as if Walnut Creek (the specific are where she lives, a pretty affluent suburb) were just one gigantic, open-air shopping mall. I have to agree...

The other thing I noticed, after an afternoon hanging out in Berkely to celebrate my mom's birthday on Monday (we went to the Scharffen-Berger chocolate factory restaurant for lunch - pity I'm not super into chocolate!), was how "California-y" everyone around here is. I guess I should say how "Bay-Area-y" everyone is, because I'm aware that California, much like Africa, is unfairly lumped into a homogenous group quite often by people that live outside these respective places.

Anyhow, what I noticed was that freaking *everything* around here is organic, yoga, vegan, raw, pilates, healing, holistic, free-trade, Tibet, green, eco-friendly, recycled, liberal, Democratic and - above all - anti-Bush. In general, I'm totally in accordance with all of these things, but here it's become this overwhelming ideology. My mom compared it with the mindset of people in the red-red-Republican areas of Texas where everyone tends to be conservative, big-hair, corporate, SUV-driving patriots. Generalizations, I know. But it really stuck out at me how much people here - despite the undeniable diversity, both ethnic and cultural - still subscribe to this mass ideology and, in the process, become somewhat closed-minded. Try having a multi-sided conversation about any of the hot issues in this country with a typical Berkeley resident...

I had a little taste of how this would go when, while browsing through stones at a jewelry shop, the owner asked what I was doing in Mozambique. I told her that I was a consultant specialized in fundraising for private-sector projects. She raised an eyebrow and puckered up her mouth as if she'd eaten something sour.

"I just went to a talk at the University last week that was an expose of private fundraisers."

"Really?" I asked. "What did they have to say?"

She looked me up and down before responding, "it was about the unethical practices that fundraisers use to charge their fees, and the lack of regulating in the industry that allows them to abuse their position."

"That's interesting."

"I can only imagine what fundraising is like in Africa," she said, with a look of disapproval. "You know, I used to live in Africa."

"Oh, wow. Where did you live?"

"Cote d'Ivoire. I was in the Peace Corps. There is so much need there. People are dying of starvation. We need to do something to help the situation, and all our Government does is spend on the war in Iraq."

"Yep. It's complicated."

I let the conversation trail off. Without a good hour-and-a-half to spend, it's not worth it to even get into the details of what I think works and doesn't work in Africa.

Anyhow, despite the differences in my perspective between this year and last, there are a few culture shock items that remain the same. I still marvel at the fact that I'm not stared at everywhere I go just because I'm white and foreign. I still laugh at the fact that I'm stuck in this Purgatory between being used to driving on the left (Moz) and driving on the right (US). I've caught myself looking the wrong way before crossing the street here a couple of times. I still marvel at the variety of fresh vegetables and fruits, and cheeses - oh, the amazing cheeses you can get here. The US really is foodie heaven, and it's such a pity that the cheapest, most advertised choices are crap-filled, processed fast food and ready-to-eat entrees. (There I go sounding like a true Bay-Area resident.)

It also continues to amaze me how much people get stressed out over little, relatively unimportant details. I know I'm not immune to this, but I believe over the past 2 years I've really chilled out when it comes to getting worked up over little things that honestly, at the end of the day, don't matter one bit. Part of it is letting go, bit by bit, of the perfectionism that has plagued me my entire life. Another part is a reorganization of priorities that has come about, almost unconsciously, as a result of living in Chimoio and Maputo.

Now, when I hear a lot of people's conversations and observe their actions, I feel like I don't belong. I can't relate anymore to what it is like to throw a fit in a restaurant because there is no more Splenda, only Equal, and that is simply not acceptable. (True story, this happened in Rio with a friend of mine when we went out for drinks last week). I don't want to develop a superiority complex or anything, or come off as pretentious, but it's true that I feel like fish out of water. Part of me hates talking about my reality because I don't want to make other people feel bad, or come off as a show-off. At the same time, remembering that speech by Nelson Mandela, I don't want to play down what I do in life, I don't want to dim my star just to spare someone else a slight feeling of inadequacy. It makes it hard to fit in, hard to relate, hard to connect. Every once in a while I run across someone that I mesh with immediately. I felt like this last week when meeting Jenna. I have several old friends like this as well. Thankfully, Rico is someone I relate to integrally. But it's hard when I have to make small-talk or revisit old friends...

My mom said yesterday that once you live in multiple places, you cease to truly fit in in any of them. This is so true. Once you leave your comfort zone, you are changed forever and never can quite recapture that blissful feeling of being accepted, of self-identifying wholly with a particular group or place. You don't even have to travel internationally for this to happen. I imagine that someone who lives across town in a community radically different from their own goes through similar changes. My mom mentioned some reality show about a group of Marines that are sent to live in the Castro for a period of time, how all of the particpants' lives are forever changed from the experience.

There is a Tribalistas song called "Ja Sei Namorar" that perfectly expresses what I feel, albeit in reference to a different concept. The chorus goes:

"Eu sou de ninguem, eu sou de todo mundo e todo mundo me quer bem,
Eu sou de ninguem, eu sou de todo mundo e todo mundo eh meu tambem."

(sorry for lack of accents) Translated, it is basically:

"I belong to nobody, I belong to everybody and everybody wishes me well,
I belong to nobody, I belong to everybody and everybody belongs to me, too."

Somehow, the larger my community becomes and the more extensive my experiences are in life, the lonelier I feel...

19 comments:

African Kelli said...

Spot on!

Safiya Outlines said...

I feel like that sometimes, but for different reasons. Still, I can't believe how rude that lady was about your work, no need for that.

alphawoman said...

I love to read your essays. I think I have been changed by living in the area I am, but not for the better. But, I'm heading to a new area and I am thrilled.

Anonymous said...

Very well said. I've often taken comfort in that exact adage that your Mom told you, but I've never heard those ideas from Mandela's speech -- thanks, I'll keep those thoughts close to heart!

sara said...

This was so fascinating to read -- your impressions of being back in the US. I think GB & I are just starting to get over our "other"-ness in some areas. I remember being ASTONISHED at the total -- well, mind noise that was everywhere in the US compared to other places. The complete feeling of being mentally overstimulated by the stores, the consumerism, the constant barrage of colors and products and commercials.
So interesting to read how you're finding things.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~African Kelli - Somehow I thought you might agree. :)

~Safiya - I can only imagine what it must be like for you. This is one of the main reasons I like reading your blog, to see what your perspective is as a muslim woman, and to see how people treat you as a convert.

As for the lady, I just let it bounce off me.

~Alphawoman - Thank you! I am glad you are headed to a new place and are looking forward to it. Can't wait to read about life in the new area.

~Mandi - The speech was given by Mandela, but the words are not originally his (although it's often mis-credited to him). It's a fabulous speech, unfortunately I don't remember the title. I'm sure a google search will turn it up.

~Telfair - I remember reading your posts from your first days back and totally identifying, too. I don't think you ever get completely accustomed to life in the US once you have lived for an extended period away, and vice-versa (with any country/place, really). Hope the arrival of spring is helping. :)

Anonymous said...

This is such bullshit how EVERYONE adores your writing and your uppity perspectives. It's amazing how, even continents away, you're still the textbook definition of American upper-middle class. I know you don't deny this, but you also don't accept that the work you do ultimately benefits those who least need improvement, including you and your boyfriend. Consultant work fits well into the capitalist agenda and it's too bad that this type of oppression will never stop, mostly due to people like you.

You don't know me anyway and I don't have a blog, so we'll just say my name is Jack. Add whatever you would like to the name to make yourself feel better.

Anonymous said...

Also, one last insult/criticism...your writing is boring and so predictable, sort of like a Hallmark card.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Anonymous/Jack - I am who I am. If you don't like it, feel free to take your reading and your comments elsewhere. If you still feel like hanging around and insulting me, that's okay too. Even in it's most crude form, I welcome dialogue here.

Safiya Outlines said...

The adjective, I would add to Jack's name is ....... jealous.

jenica said...

i do love your writing and your prospectives. poor jack, he's missing out on life just sitting around cutting other people down... your words excite me and cause me to want to do more adventurous things.

lovies!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya and Jenica - Thanks for the kind words, girls!

Amber said...

How interesting, Ali! You would be so great to talk to.

"In general, I'm totally in accordance with all of these things, but here it's become this overwhelming ideology."--

THANK YOU. Yes. I also agree with most of these things, but your mom is totally right on about it. And it IS impossible to talk to people about stuff if you are in the middle at all.

Hey! My Aunt is in Walnut Creek (well, alamo). How long will you be here? I would love to try and meet you. Maybe if you have time we could meet somewhere? Vacaville?
I'll buy you lunch. ;)

:)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Amber - I just left you a comment. Let's make it happen!

JP (mom) said...

Dear Ali ... just catching up and love this post. I think that the loneliness is a matter of scale. When we realise that we're part of a grander scheme, when our view expands beyond our neighborhood or back yard, you become a bit disenfranchised locally, but more connected globally. Face it girl, you're a world citizen :) xx, JP

p.s. and your were very gracious to "Jack" ... I'm not sure if I would have been ;-)

El Erik said...

Hi from Tanzania Ali (I must add that I just climbed the Kilimanjaro :)
Anyway, great posting, interesting about the dilemmas I guess we all face.
But especially the reflection on leading the kind of travelling rootless life we live:
"once you live in multiple places, you cease to truly fit in in any of them."
"Somehow, the larger my community becomes and the more extensive my experiences are in life, the lonelier I feel..."

I totally feel the same, nevertheless I try to tell myself that I fit in everywhere, that everywhere is my home. I had a bad time leaving Ghana, and was not in the mood to go through it again, but met people like you in Maputo, confirming the fact that it can only be positive, although the ghost of rootlessness and solitude lingers...
Take care, and look forward seeing you in Maputo or in Nampula!
E

Bart Treuren said...

ali, thank you for this inspired, well thought out and deeply introspective post... you've covered much of the ground i've been plodding around on these last 40 years or so, trying to focus on the issues which really matter and learning to see which ones can better be ignored or deemed less worthy of consideration...

in particular, your remark
My mom said yesterday that once you live in multiple places, you cease to truly fit in in any of them. This is so true. Once you leave your comfort zone, you are changed forever and never can quite recapture that blissful feeling of being accepted, of self-identifying wholly with a particular group or place.
was one which rang too true for comfort... once you choose to remove yourself from the certainties and givens of an initial life situation, you learn that there are no certainties and givens any more, only questions and uneasiness because you see that the realities you cherished were illusions embedded in comfortable ignorance...

the escape demands courage, sometimes accidental, sometimes deliberate, the passage into the wider world is disrupting and dislocating, too painful at moments and yet so rewarding at others...

you've learned to see and understand, and although you still have an enormously long journey ahead of you, you have taken on board certain qualities of life which will serve you in good stead later... everything you do, see, learn and think about has a resonance at a later time, for better, for worse but ultimately for the improvement of your own condition...

hope this makes sense, it's an insanely complicated issue reverberating in my mind at all the right and wrong moments, improving my life but causing all sorts of dilemmas along the way...

keep well, sleep well ;-)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Jane Poe - Yes, my dad - who doesn't travel and loves the small-town life in New Mexico - constantly remarks on how so many people in my generation are "citizens of the world". Even with the drawbacks and the loneliness, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

~El Erik - I'm so jealous! I'm dying to go hiking, much less climb a mountain. :)

Rootlesness and solitude...these two words really nail it.

It's so nice, though, when you do meet people that "get it", that understand what having this lifestyle and multi-cultural backround is all about. It was such good fate that we all met in Maputo.

Now we just need to organize a visit up to Nacaroa!

~Bart - This topic is one of my obsessions as well. If it's already this present in my life and I'm only 25, I can only imagine what it will be like in 50 years.

It's nice knowing that in this blogging community we are able to find exactly that - community. While I may not understand the details or the micro-picture of your situation, I do understand that larger-scale loneliness and wanderlust.

Keep writing, hang in there. :)

paris parfait said...

My sentiments, exactly Ali.