Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Waiting for the Page to Open

Well, I am back in the land of dial-up internet. My dad - who is one of the more technologically savvy people I know, and who owns a 9-cartridge bad-ass color printer he uses for large-format digital photo printing - still, unfortunately, relies on the old dial-up modem to get online.

Although it would be fitting with his personality quirks to reject some seemingly fine amenity of the modern world based on some moral issue, this is not the reason for the internet deficiency in this home. The reason, I have come to find out, is that it is physically impossible to run cable to his house because his property is cris-crossed and surrounded on all sides by irrigation ditches.

Ah, the benefits of country living. No high-speed internet, no cable TV. He has sprung for "the dish", but has passed over the several-hundreds-of-dollars-a-month internet service from the same provider.

I have become so spoiled, once again, with high speed internet. I am remembering what it was like to be in Chimoio, where not only did we rely on dial-up, we had to share the line between 6 people, all hungry to communicate with the outside world. No wonder I was a nut-case back in that shared house...

*** *** ***

In other news, Ricardo and I ordered save-the-date cards for our wedding, which arrived here the other day. I had a look at the cards and they are very cool, but slightly different than the impression I'd gotten from the computer-generated proof. I suppose this is a good lesson for when we actually order our invitations - get a real, paper-printed proof before deciding on colors. I'm not disappointed - I mean, they are save-the-date cards after all, not some huge important detail in my life, but it's always surprising to see how my assumptions can be off.

We've had to postpone our wedding slightly. The new date is 05 July. It will still be in Rio, still in the Anglican Church, still with the reception in the Casa Rosa.

We decided to change the date because my cousin L. (one of only 3 cousins! I have a very small family) is set to graduate from high school the exact same day Rico and I had chosen for our ceremony. I really, really want my uncle and his family to be at our wedding, and certainly didn't want to force one of "those decisions" as to which event everyone would attend. So we pushed the date forward to the next available US federal holiday and are planning accordingly.

Now I have the small task of obtaining addresses, preparing envelopes, and mailing out save-the-date cards for the 125-or-so people that will be invited who live in places other than Rio de Janeiro.

*** *** ***

The banana project will be finished late tonight. My part of the project, that is. Rico still has to add in all the finalized financial information, but other than that, it's ready to go. I can't believe it.

Speaking of, I should get to work. I have a brand-new laptop I'm working on (I love it, it's another Toshiba), complete with Office 2007, and I'm taking a bit of a beating trying to find all the specific little tools I am accustomed to using in Word and Excel.

Have a great day , friends.

7 comments:

Kristine said...

Just stopping by to say hi!
Glad to hear how things are moving along with wedding plans and the big banana project. Have a good time at your dad's!

El Erik said...

Cool. I'll out the date aside. I will have saideras with Rico in Nampula this weekend!!!! Will be great to see him! Cheers!!!

JP (mom) said...

Congrats on all of the wedding plans!! Glad the banana project is moving along :)
Peace, Ali! xx, JP

--jenna said...

Ali...I'm back in the States! Wow. Culture shock:) But it's great to see my family, eat Reeses cups, take hot showers, and most of all, sleep!!! And when I'm not sleeping, I'm playing with the new "toys" that came in the mail...check out my blog for pics...

I'm glad your wedding plans are moving along smoothly! Did the banana project make deadline??? Enjoy your time with your dad!!! Bjs!

Anonymous said...

chica!!!! how are you? i MISS you!!! it's the first time in about 3 weeks that i open my pc at home (and therefore your blog) - you'll be pleased (maybe?) that my pater continues to check out your blog partly in the hope of hearing if i'm alive and partly to follow your story i think!! your jewellery looks fabulous, can't wait to see your new stuff - so exciting! and will add the new date for the big day into my diary - and of course would be absolutely delighted and honoured to interpret/translate...
I just got back from a week in RSA, did a workshop on child trafficking and migration which was fascinating and super productive, as well as spending the weekend with sylvie (and having missed calls from rather jollied up el erik and rico whilst on their pissup in nampula lol!), now back and at a training for institutional capacity building, but think it may all be a bit much as i blacked out today - fainted in the middle of the training session - all very dramatic but am fine, bottom line is think have to be healthier, so am hoping once you're back i'll be keeping normal hours and we can hang out and do girly stuff!!?!? glad you're having a good time back home, you sound terribly productive!! must be lovely to be with the family again - am off to see mine in july yay! sending you big hugs - when are you back - let me know and i can pick you up from the airport?
xxxxx me

Annie Jeffries said...

Very smart changing the date. Your cousin and family must be very grateful. Office 2007. Very cool. I just got it this week. Still lots to learn but love the visuals.

jenica said...

isn't it funny when you plan a wedding how important colors become. "i wanted magenta, and instead i got fuschia." ;-D good idea on getting a physical proof though.

i had to giggle about the dial up at your dad's. it's amazing how spoiled i've gotten with wireless internet. i don't even bother checking my email and such if i'm someone else's place, it takes way to long.

have a happy day!