Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Moving Forward Quite Nicely with All Tasks

Every day I work for several hours making jewelry, taking hundreds of digital photos of my creations (knowing full well that only 6 or so will be in focus due to my underperforming camera), update my super price-and-cost-calculating spreadsheet, and post new items on my site.

Alexandra Amaro, my shop on Etsy, is updated with several new earrings, a bracelet and a couple of jewelry sets. A heartfelt thank you to those of you that have supported my fledgling initiative.

I have also been busy ticking wedding-related items off my to-do list. Yesterday my mom and I hit the shops and I found sandals for the rehearsal dinner, a marcasite bracelet (I'm doing all my jewelry for the rehearsal in marcasite - should go great with the teal satin fabric), and - drumroll, please - SHOES FOR MY WEDDING DRESS.

It was as serendipitous as when I found the dress last week (remember? it was the second dress I tried on, period). We were in this boutique called Foot Candy and I told the woman I wanted a classic, ivory closed-toe mule with a heel to go with my Old-World-feel dress. The saleswoman said she wasn't sure she could help me, that they only had one ivory shoe in the entire shop.

The shoe she proceeded to show me was something that, I swear, not in a hundred thousand years I would have picked out for myself. It was an ivory silk mule with a pointed toe, alright, but then there were the - what should I call them - "accessories" around the ankle. You know those sandals with a cascade of jewels and charms and stuff that hang over the top of the foot from an ankle strap? That's what was going on with these shoes. I'm talking lots and lots of dark chain-maille-type links with crystal flowers and teardrops hanging all over the place. Totally not my regular style, but whatever, it's for my wedding, it's worth trying anything on that may be an option.

So I tried on these fabulously intricate shoes not expecting to like them much, and do you know what? I LOVED THEM! They are - appropriately - by a Brasilian designer called Constanca Bastos. I think the ankle jewelry will be the perfect combination with my dress and the gigantic crystal cuff my mom is lending me to wear on the big day.

I know this all sounds amazingly tacky in my descriptions - a teal satin rehearsal dinner dress, rhinestone and chain maille high-heeled mules, a huge crystal cuff. It's pretty fertile stuff for the imagination. But trust me - it's all coming together to make an elegant, slightly offbeat, unique statement - all perfectly suited to my personality and personal style. The individual pieces may be things I'd never have picked out for myself, but the big picture is coming together quite nicely and I couldn't be happier.

Now the only thing left is to find invitations and to buy about 100 meters of fabric to ship to my bridesmaids so that they can commission custom-made dresses. Arranging for color-coordinated dresses for women on 4 different continents is no easy task.

Okay. Enough about shoes and dresses and jewels and weddings. I've got a metalsmithing class to take in Palo Alto and need to have something to eat before heading into the overwhelming California traffic. Hope you all are well!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh great fun for your serendipitous wedding dress! it all sounds lovely and quirky.

looking forward to seeing your wedding photos on the blog next year.

my (dusty, dirty, ripped) and yet gorgeous wedding dress was discovered at a flea market in porte alegre (it was a quincera dress in a past life). and then during a 10 minute stopover at a winners store, i found the craziest yellow-peach sequined shoes with lace-ups to go with it. i never would have imagined myself in them. but then, i guess when you know, you just know.

much joy to you in your cross-continent wedding planning.
lu:)

--jenna said...

ali...

joy joy joy on the shoes as well! you're having positively wonderful luck:)

had my interview today and it looks like i'm going to be studying at ibmec...and won't have to dig deep into my pockets to pay either! ah...God is good!

it's started being winter here, with cold and rain and the works. enjoy the california sun while you can! rsrs e beijos,

jenna

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Lu - Thanks so much for your well-wishes. I'd love to see a photo of your dress and shoes. I'm a sucker for a non-traditional wedding outfit, even if it is just the details that are quirky. I can't wait to put up photos, but - argh - must wait a year to do it.

~Jenna - I can't believe you will be studying at the same school both Rico and I went to! So glad I met you through the blog so that I could mention ibmec over lunch.

I'm super curious about the "not digging too deep into your pockets" part. Did you score a scholarship or something???

Amber said...

Wow! Bridesmaids all over the place. Have fun! I (stupidly) had NINE. lol!

Those shoes sound supah!

;)

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i love when that happens...when you think "oh that will never work" and then it is the perfect thing. can't wait to see pictures of the shoes...well, the whole outfit really...

i bet it is so nice to be home for awhile to do these things with your mom...

paris parfait said...

Hi Ali,

I am so behind in reading your blog - for the past month have been preoccupied with too many guests, then travel of my own. I'm thrilled your wedding plans are going so well. And congrats on your jewelry biz! I just went to etsy to register, but they still haven't sent a confirmation email. I will be back to purchase some of your jewelry - I've received so many compliments on the earrings you gave me when you were here. Enjoy every minute of your time in California! xo

Toni M Photography said...

Ooo. It's getting all together so nicely. I am so glad for you both. YAYAYAY.

Love the new "jewels". So nice indeedy...

Big hugs,
Love Toni

Mimey said...

"Arranging for color-coordinated dresses for women on 4 different continents is no easy task."

You live such a glamorous global life. I love that your blog lets me into it.

The shoes sound fantastic.

Deborah said...

What fun putting together the pieces for your big day!! You will look stunning! Congrats on the Etsy shop as well. Much peace & love, JP

Alina said...

Good to hear your to do list is getting smaller and smaller :) Glad you found just what you wanted, as for the online store, I am sure it will be a great hit :)

Bilal said...

this is all awesome!
all the best with everything:)