Friday, May 25, 2007

Saudades, part Infinite

I am tired. I stayed up past midnight last night working on the banana business plan. It is going well, but there is still a tremendous amount of work to be accomplished before our submission deadline on Wednesday.

I have a jewelry class tomorrow in which I will use a torch to melt and forge silver to make rings. The next day I have a class where I will learn to use precious metal clay. I am really excited.

I leave California on Monday. I am happy becuause this signifies the beginning of 3 weeks in New Mexico with my Dad, Laura and hometown friends. I am weight-of-the-world sad because it means I have to say goodbye to my Mom, once again.

I love coming home, whichever home it may be, but I hate having to leave. I wish I could somehow replicate myself 5 times: one Ali to be with Mom, one Ali to be with Dad, one Ali to be in the Casa Rosa, one Ali to be in Maputo with Rico and the Boys (working to sustain all of these busy replicas of myself), and one Ali geographically unattached, free to roam the world scouting out new places to have adventures.

Until this is possible, I suppose I'll just continue the seemingly endless cycle of suitcase packing---suitcase unpacking---suitcase packing---suitcase unpacking---always longing for something and someone far away.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

I knew there was a good reason for all of this cloning business that is going on!

Lacithecat said...

Oh Ali I am sorry and I know what you mean. It sounds like you have had a lovely time so far. I do look forward to the hometown stories! Smile ...

BTW - any developments on dona liza's condition?

alphawoman said...

What an interesting idea! Good idea and plot for a book!!! The complications of one person replicated five times and one of them falling in love!!!!

Mimey said...

How sad if I had 5 of me I'd probably have one by the sink, one at the cooker, one with the vacuum cleaner, one ironing...and one curled up in the sun with a good book and cocktails.

Hope all the travels are event free but not boring.

Kristine said...

You were on my mind and I wondered how much longer you'd be in California! I am so glad I got a chance to sepnd some time with you! I know New Mexico will be fun. :) Savor each moment of your delicious life. Peace be with you!

--jenna said...

precious metal clay...i thought of you when i saw it on the firemountain site. let me know how the class goes-it sounded like a really cool medium! congrats on the anniversary!!!

Amber said...

It would be nice if we could do that! I would jump on that in sec, so let me know it you ever find a way. ;)

Don't be sad!

:)

paris parfait said...

Yes, all this traveling is tough, when it comes to family and friends and always missing someone. But in the process of seeing everyone, you get to have lots of adventures most people never imagine! Safe journey and have a green chile enchilada or two for me. xo