Thursday, July 12, 2007

I'm Ready to Feel Well Again, Thank You

Friends, I am going on Day 6 of being a miserable, feverish lump on the guest bed watching reruns of Law and Order. I could feel I was getting sick on Saturday - I always get a feeling like I have Chap-Stik (lip balm) coating my throat anytime I'm about to come down with a cold - and decided to take it easy. Later that afternoon, a severe allergy attack made sure that I wasn't just taking it easy, I was unable to get up from the bed.

Sunday the allergies were gone, but not the mysterious bug that was making my throat sore, causing a dry cough and pulling a disappearing act on my appetite. While sleeping that night, I woke up literally drenched in a pool of my own sweat. It was as if I'd jumped into a swimming pool, then rushed to get under the covers before even a drop of moisture had dried. With this lovely experience, I knew I had a fever as well.

Until Tuesday, my fever was low-grade, around 37.5. I thought it best to rest it out and let this bug run its course. Then, as the day progressed, my fever began to spike. When it reached 39 (about 102), I caved and started taking Tylenol and considered a visit to the clinic. The fever went down, but I still felt like absolute shit. I stayed in bed all day, then sweat copiously again at night.

Yesterday I woke up without a fever. Yay! Or so I thought. All I had to do was get out of a horizontal position, and the fever was back with a vengeance. I had a 1 hour meeting with a client, and while in his office I could feel my temperature going up drastically. When I arrived back home, my face was flushed red and all I could do was collapse in bed in front of the tv. Back to the usual pattern. Fever was back up around 39. Sigh. I promised Rico that if I still had a fever today, I'd go to the clinic.

Did I mention I hate, absolutely hate going to the doctor? The stress that I feel by having someone mess with my body, and honestly just by being in a hospital/clinic environment, is enough that it makes me even sicker. How ironic. So naturally I avoid the doctor until I am convinced that I am ill enough that I need antibiotics or a malaria test or something that home remedies just won't cut. Here I am mindful of my reluctance to get medical attention, as I know there are some endemic diseases that, if not treated promptly, can have serious complications.

So today I woke up without fever. Yay! Although I'm afraid I may jinx myself because I've just taken my temperature and it is at 37.2 (99F). Low enough that I'm even reluctant to call it a fever. But certainly an upwards trend. Merda. I don't want to go to the doctor, but I will if it goes higher.

Last night I freaked myself out by googling the symptoms of Tuberculosis. I don't think I have it, but it was certainly motivation to go to the clinic if this thing persists...

Edited to add:

I have given in. I am going to the clinic. Sigh.

Here's hoping I feel better tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like I too struggle with going to the doctor. I am the one crying silently in the waiting room, having upset myself with anxiety to the point of tears. I hope and pray that the fever breaks and is simply gone. Get well soon...

Unknown said...

What I was trying to say was - Like you, I also struggle w/ going to the doctor....