Friday, July 06, 2007

Images

I took noticeably few pictures on my recent trip back to Brasil and the US. I'm not really sure why, I just wasn't feeling the photo vibe. It's especially strange considering that my dad gave me an early birthday present (super early - I'll be 26 in October) that is the most bad-ass digital camera I've ever gotten my hands on.

Part of me, I think, is afraid to start using this monster of a camera because it is so cool, and takes such good photos, I'll get sucked hopelessly into another creative hobby. I already have jewelry making, crafts fairs, knitting and crocheting, writing and cooking. Somewhere in there I find time for "real" work.

I can only imagine what it will be like if I get the photo bug, something that has happened to me a couple of times in my life already. We'll see. Perhaps as the weather warms up, I can put the knitting aside and wander around the streets of Maputo instead, taking photos of this beautiful yet somewhat run-down city...

At any rate, here are some photos from my recent trip, none of which I took myself.

Me and my mom doing a wine tasting in Locke, in the Sacramento Valley.

Here I am doing one of my favorite activities in the world: hunting for Native American pot shards (pieces of 1,000-year-old Anasazi ceramics, in this case).

Our campsite in the Jemez (New Mexico). My Dad and I have this camping thing down pat.

Our cooking and hanging out tarp setup. I am in the final stages of "The Poisonwood Bible" and completely oblivious to the fact that my Dad has the camera out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should definitely go out and experiment with your new camera- Maputo is such a photogenic/atmospheric city. And let us see the results!

Anonymous said...

ps. and from a photographer's point of view, the fact that the city is a bit run down definitely makes it amazing to shoot...there are so many layers and textures to some of the old buildings and streets(although obviously I would much prefer it not to be run down! its such a shame that some of the really historic architecture has been allowed to fall into disrepair,in particular the Art Deco) I'm hoping to do lots of photography projects when I come in December..I love London but photographically it's so uninspiring for me,not a patch on Moz (:

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Moira - I know what you mean about the fact that Maputo is run-down. It is definitely beautiful, despite the loss of historic and cultural icons, and just the kind of material I like to photograph.

The neighborhood where we have our house in Rio is like this, though slowly it is being revitalized. The church Rico and I are going to get married in is charming (to me), but run-down (to others that don't appreciate the beauty of a bit of wear and tear on a building).

I will definitely share when I manage to get some photos of the city.

I'd love to see the work you do on your trip here. :)

Bilal said...

i am also trying to master my photography skills- but the environment makes a huge diff. Give me some feedback on my Kashmir pics: www.asiaexplore.blogspot.com

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Bilal - I'll have a look and let you know what I think. :)

jenica said...

i love that pic of you and your mom, perfectly in sync with one another. ;-D

Unknown said...

I totally understand your feelings about waiting to unpack your camera. I start so any projects that I scare myself sometimes. And yet.... Think of all the cool pics you can take of your jewelry now!
Yeah, I know - I'm not helping :)