Thursday, September 28, 2006

Unbelievable!

This morning I went out for about 30 minutes to go to the bank. When I returned to the flat, the guard handed me a piece of paper that had arrived in my absence. It was a very official-looking notice from the Correios de Moçambique (the post office) that I'd received a piece of mail!!!!

This is unprecedented, the first letter / package / postcard I've received in a year and a half of living in this country. I have no idea why this particular thing managed to reach me when all the others disappeared into the void of Mozambique's mail system (aka the customs officer's pocket).

The slip said the piece of mail is from Australia. I'm curious and so excited to find out what it is and who sent it. Now I just have to figure out what the next step is for me to actually be able to retrieve my piece of mail...

This occurrence renews my hope that it just may be possible for me to receive mail here in Maputo on a regular basis. I know this is wildly optimistic thinking, but perhaps it's worth another shot. Anyone inclined to help me test this hypothesis, feel free to send me a letter or postcard (but nothing of value, or that even looks marginally interesting from the outside).

Yay!

2 comments:

paris parfait said...

Wonders will never cease! Email me your address and I´ll send a postcard from Sevilla.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~paris parfait - I know, this is really up there on the unlikely list. I've e-mailed you my address, hopefully it will arrive.

~la vie - Nope, never got my mom's package. She told me it contained bath products (lotion, salts, soap) and I think they were just too appealing for the postal workers or customs guys to let through.

This mystery piece of mail is literally the first thing I've received in 1.5 years!