Thursday, September 21, 2006

In Africa Again

I'm in Joburg right now, the tail end of what has been a trip full of hassles. Air France managed to lose my luggage again (!), but thankfully they were able to locate my bags before I left Paris. The agent there assured me that my bags were checked all the way to Maputo, but of course it wasn't that easy. I had to collect my luggage here in Joburg and redo my check-in, only to be slapped with a US $60 overweight charge thanks to Air France's inability to check my bag to my final destination. I hassled with their customer service people for a while before realizing it was a futile attempt on my part. When I was informed that there was no manager available for me to speak with, I just picked up my backpack and went into the women's room for a good cry. Sometimes that's the only thing that will truly relieve my stress and exhaustion, just sob it all out and start over.

All things considered, if US $60 is the price to ensure that my bags arrive in Maputo on time and that nobody pilfers my precious things during the layover in Joburg, I suppose it's well worth the frustration.

My next (and final) plan leaves in about an hour. Then I get to go home, somehow manage to get all of my luggage up 3 flights of stairs, hope that we still have energy credit in our meter so that I can take a hot shower, then go pick up the kittens around 7pm. The thought of cuddling at home with the boys is what is enabling me to make it through this last bit of what's been a totally overwhelming trip.

Highlight of it all: meeting Paris Parfait for dinner and a walking tour of her neighborhood during my super-long layover. It was wonderful and I can't wait to share more. I've just realized, however, that we failed to take a picture together. Ah, well - just a good excuse to do it again!

13 comments:

paris parfait said...

Thank goodness they found your luggage! After all that hassle - whew! It was so wonderful having you here. Will post about our visit later this evening. Enjoy your evening with the "boys" and get some much-needed rest. I realised after we put you in the taxi we forgot to take a photo - we were just so rushed! As you said, next time. xo

Kristine said...

Hang in there.
I hope you make it home with few complications.
Wishing you well...

Alina said...

Glad they found your luggage so fast! And have a safe last flight. I am sure you will enjoy the shower you are looking forward to :)

Mimey said...

I know that weary, frustrated, the world's insane, need to cry!

Fingers crossed for the hot water.

Anonymous said...

So...If someone had said, "Ali, give me $60 and I will make this hassle go away" it would probably be a good deal.

Safiya Outlines said...

Enjoy sleeping in your own bed with the boys!

Annie Jeffries said...

What an adventure. Glad it ended well.

Ali Ambrosio said...

Paris Parfait - Well, at least we have a picture of me holding that baguette. :)

Kristine - Thanks for the good thoughts, my trip ended just fine.

Alina - Me, too. I'll probably blog about it later, but when I got home the electricity credits had run out and there were no lights or hot water!

JVS - Let me tell you, it was a good cry. And there was no hot water, so I boiled some on the gas stove and had myself a shallow bath.

Anonymous - It sure would have been a good deal, better yet if I'd been able to pay $60 at the beginning of my trip and avoid all the stress, hassle and worry. But still a good deal considering none of my things were stolen or lost long-term.

Safiya - It was wonderful, the boys were so affectionate and purred all night. There is nothing like one's own bed!

Rebekah said...

Your picture on Paris Parfait's blog is precious. What a treat to meet another blogger. You continue to amaze me.

Willie Baronet said...

Welcome back! I'm in the midst of planning my trip to South Africa in October. Excited and a little nervous! :-) I may email you with some questions.

Anonymous said...

Arg shame!!
I arrived yesterday from Angola, shame we didn't meet as all flights end in Paris for me, then back to the Mediterranean after more than 2 months out!!!

Welcome back Ali!!

Mike said...

This is my first visit to your blog having ran across Paris Parfait's post. It is cool that you had the opportunity to connect with someone that you had known online. I am glad you made it to your destination unscathed other than the frustration. Travelling is always an adventure it seems especially when multiple connections are involved. I look forward to checking out more of your blog. Cheers.

Ali Ambrosio said...

Annie Elf - It was an adventure, that's for sure. I think it ended as well as could be hoped for, given all the potential pitfalls of long-haul travel.

Living Part Deux - Thanks, it's so nice to know that you are still around!

Rrramone - Feel free to e-mail. I just know you'll love RSA.

La Vie en Rose - There were tons of highlights, I can't wait to share more.

Ladybird - I know, we missed each other by 1 day! I haven't been able to read your blog at all lately, for some reason it wouldn't open on the dial-up connection at my dad's house. I look forward to catching up.

Mike - Thanks for stopping by. It was a great time meeting Paris Parfait, she was such a generous hostess.