Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A (Relatively) Technology Free Vacation

This is the longest I've spent without my computer or cell phone since I can remember. It's been wonderful, but being without my connection to the world has made me feel somewhat lost and behind on everything at the same time.

We've just arrived at my mom's house in California and have, for the first time in a week, a high speed internet connection and a laptop to borrow. I am taking advantage to update here before spending yet another glorious day outside and doing something other than type and surf the net.

Ricardo and I had a great time in New Mexico with my dad and his family last week. We spent a beautiful night camping, hung out in Santa Fe and stayed at a bed and breakfast, drove in the Sandia mountains and checked out the house where I used to live, had a Labor Day barbecue at my Dad's house in the country, and ate as much New Mexican food as is humanly possible in one week. Ricardo learned the hard way that jalapeno peppers are not meant to be eaten whole, although he did also figure out that green chile, when ingested in controlled portions, is truly the food of the Gods.

We have many pictures but as I'm having a break from technology I will only get around to downloading and posting them later this month when I'm back in Mozambique.

We flew early this morning from Albuquerque to Oakland and have been enjoying the warm sun since arriving. My mom made us a healthy breakfast (to balance out all those enchiladas and sopapillas from last week), and Ricardo and I picked figs off the tree in their backyard to have along with our cottage cheese and eggs.

I've been reunited with my cat Azul, who for the time being doesn't seem to recognize me. Perhaps she does, though, and this silent treatment is just her way of letting me know exactly what she thinks about having been left in a house full of lowly dogs. My mom and her husband have 2 huge Australian Shepards who Azul has learned how to deal with quite well considering that the last time she saw a dog she bit me and drew blood. My mom has been taking really good care of the cat in my absence and Azul basically has free reign in this house, including a cat door that leads to the deck.

In addition to the cat and the 2 dogs, there is a new animal resident at my mom's urban California house: a rooster! A small Japanese Bantam has installed itself next to the garage and struts around eating cracked corn and reject produce from my mom's kitchen. He's beautiful, his little feet are completely covered in big showy feathers.

Well...we are getting ready to go to Costco to buy food, then I have an eye appointment so I must finish my tea and find my purse.

I hope you are all doing great!!! Tell me what you have been up to in my total absence from the blog world.

20 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

So good to see you back and I'm glad you're having fun.

It definitely sounds like Azul is sulking - doesn't she know she's the star of your blog!

Hope you have lots more fun, take care x

Narrator said...

Ali, I've been up to the same.

I'm loving these reports of you relaxing with family. Please post more. Also, I've never tasted a fig. It's not because I'm Canadian :)

Alina said...

Well, up to no good, of course :D

Ali, glad to hear you are enjoying your trip and your time with your family so much! Wish you the same joy for the rest of your vacation and am looking forward to seeing the photos when you come back :)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya - You'll be glad to know that Azul has finally warmed up to us and has even spent some time in our laps!

~Non Vocab - Good stuff. I can't believe you've never tasted a fig. Insanity. They are fabulous, definitely my favorite fruit along with cherries and mangoes.

~Monkey - It's a brown fig tree, so big around that it takes about 30 seconds to walk around the circumference (the branches are really low and spread out). I ate so many that I've managed to completely clear out my digestive system.

~Alina - Thanks, we'll take plenty of pictures. Today we're up for some more relaxing and wine tasting in Napa Valley.

Anonymous said...

Miss Ali - it was great to meet you and I'm envious that you're in California. Are you going to do the mud in Napa?
Stop at Mondavi and get some wine, stop at the fruit stand and if Nance's has room it's a great place to stay. They have a huge pool fed from the hotsprings and than you can get in the mud. After showering the mud off, the sauna and massage are heaven - but you need to be in Napa for at least two days because after the massage you incapable of driving you're so relaxed.

paris parfait said...

Ali, sounds like you're having the best of times on your trip. My daughter was just in Los Angeles and San Francisco and is now in Santa Fe. She's been revisiting old stomping grounds (San Fran and Santa Fe) with a new perspective. Enjoy the wine tasting and all the other fabulous adventures still ahead! Will look forward to your photos and tales of your fun upon your return. xo

Anonymous said...

green chile is amazing....glad you're having a wonderful time!!!

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

Well, I am glad you are ok, with family, boyfriend, in-laws and dear animals :)

Meanwhile: my life has changed. I now have a wonderful job and I am seeking a flat in this "horrible" town - PARIS!...

beijinhos

Jessica

Bart Treuren said...

good to read you're back doing some serious catching up on important parts of your life;-)

here, the mists are lifting and me's trying to change the changeable and accept the rest, for better and for worse (that sounds terrible :P )...

enjoy yourself, be good ;-) and keep well :D

Michelle said...

Roosters are so cool. Perhaps Azul is pissed off about HIM. I think she recognizes you--without a doubt. Cats are smart.

Mimey said...

"green chile, when ingested in controlled portions, is truly the food of the Gods"

hallelujah!

Kristine said...

Hope you are having a great time. I can't wait to hear all of the details when you get back!

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

Hello Ali, have I read well? you are coming? i start to work on the 21st, so the 20th it would be perfect! wherever you want, I'll be there !!! swear!!! beijinhos

Anonymous said...

wow, just checked this on a whim, are you still in the SF Bay Area? i just got back here myself after a year of disaster relief in the South...call me 650.793.3818

jason (jenna's friend whom you met in Rio a year and a half ago)

Ali Ambrosio said...

Kim - It was great to meet you, too. Thanks for substituting for my dad all these days. We didn't do the mud in Napa, but it was great all the same.

Paris Parfait - I've said it before but I love that we have similar old stomping grounds. HOpe your daughter had a great time.

Ruby - It is, and I've certainly eaten my share of it.

Elite - Can't wait to see you in that "horrible" town.

Bart - Acceptance is certainly the path you want to be pursuing. I'm trying to do the same.

La Vie - Mine too! Although Albuqueruqe is forever home...

Michelle - Azul did finally come around and give me some lovin'. The rooster seems very domesticated and my mom guesses he was someone's pet that just wandered away.

JVS - Amen, my sister!

Kristine - I can't wait to share the details, and plenty of photos too.

Elite - It's for real, I'll be there.

Jason - Wow, drop me an e-mail and tell me what that experience was like. I"m not in the bay area anymore, unfortunately, but hope to keep in touch.

Masood Ahmed said...

I am glad to see you back on blog. Nice to know that you are enjoying good time in US.

kelly rae said...

if you are anywhere near lake merritt in oakland, shoot me an email. perhaps we could meet for tea!

Ali Ambrosio said...

Masd - I look forward to catching up on your blog when I'm back to a high speed connection.

Kelly - Since I haven't updated in a while you unfortunately couldn't know that I've been in New Mexico already for several days. Shame we missed each other. :(

I'm already looking forward to a bay area blogger get-together the next time I'm in town.

Narrator said...

Zoinks! I don't like mangoes -- something about the undertaste is metallic. Grosses me out. And after hearing someone describe the texture of a fig like a vagina . . . well, I can't bring myself to eat one.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~n.v. - Damn you!!! I won't be able to eat a fig again without remembering this comparison.

They are tasty, though...