Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Night on the Town in Burque

After a sweet time in California, I headed back to New Mexico for a few more days with my dad and step-mom. I was lucky enough to have my time back home span a weekend, and I was able to catch up with some old friends from my days in the MBA program at the University of New Mexico.

The girl with me in the photo below is my fabulous friend Marlene. She and I met during my last semester of school and quickly became close friends. She recently got married to her long-time boyfriend Paul, and the two of them are self-employed real estate agents. The fact that we both have our own businesses, work from home, and work alongside our significant others gives us a lot to talk about even though our realities are quite different at the moment.

I met up with Marlene, Paul and a big group of friends for dinner that Saturday at one of my favorite restaurants in Albuquerque - El Pinto. Mar and I shared a chicken burrito with plenty of green, and had a couple of margaritas to wash it all down. After dinner we decided it was definitely not time to end the night so we all headed to Zinc, a wine bar in the Nob Hill district of the city. I'd never been there before and was suprised to see that Burque actually has a slightly swanky bar where you can listen to live jazz, have a good cocktail and - best of all - mingle with people of all generations. I wish Zinc had been open when I was still living there...

Here I am appreciating the jazz and G&T's with Mar's twin sister Charlene and Mark, a good friend who was also in the MBA program with us. (And yes, ladies, he's single. And sweet!)

Once we'd had our fill of jazz, we decided to go downtown to a club for some dancing. It's been ages since the last time I had a great night out like this one. It was old school night at the place we went to, which meant that they were playing all sorts of hits from the late 80's and early 90's. We all had a sobering moment when we realized that "old school" now refers to our generation!

Below are Mark, Chloe, Char and Adam, nice and sweaty after busting their moves all night.

We danced until last call, then I decided to stay the night at Mar's so that I wouldn't have to drive the hour back to my dad's house at 2am. Nights like this one make me remember how much I love to get a little tipsy and WORK IT OUT on the dance floor. I really should do this more often...

6 comments:

Narrator said...

Aw, Ali - you look so happy! I'm so happy you're happy :)

By the way, your dad's cheekbones are quite apparent on your face in these pictures.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~n.v. - Sweet! I've always wanted to be known for those cheekbones.

paris parfait said...

Such wonderful photos! You look like you´re having a blast.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~paris parfait - It was so much fun, I'm glad the pictures actually seem to do it justice.

Anonymous said...

Realmente...nada como rever velhos amigos, na sua cidade natal e ter uma noite como nos velhos tempos...e se acabar na pista d danca.....
Sabe, tb estou precisando d uma noite dessas, principalmente pela danca, exorcizar todo meu stress e energias ruim dancando!
xxxxxxxxxxx

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Gaby - É a melhor coisa do mundo dançar com velhos amigos! E aí, quando é que a gente vai ter uma night assim? Tô louca pra ir a Londres...