Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Leaving Home to Go Home

Yesterday I was standing in line at a coffee shop in downtown Albuquerque, waiting to order some mint tea with my friend Tomas, and totally started to cry as I looked over the muffins and scones on the counter. I don't want to go "home" yet, don't want to endure the 36-hour trip back to Africa, don't want to finish packing my gigantic suitcases, don't want to have to say goodbye to my family.

I'm even a bit teary right now. I always cry when I leave my mom, and did so in grand fashion before my flight from Oakland to Albuquerque last week. But I can't say I've ever sobbed before leaving my dad, at least not that I can remember. Not that I don't miss him just as much, I'm just generally better at holding it together around him. There was something about this trip, though, that I feel will break the tear-free pattern. I've felt so comfortable here, so loved and appreciated, I honestly don't want to leave.

On the positive side, I will be meeting Elite and Paris Parfait for a late lunch and city tour in Paris during my 9-hour layover there tomorrow. Of course I am looking forward to seeing our kittens, who I'm certain have had tremendous fun with their caretakers while I've been away!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a safe trip home and enjoy your layover in paris!

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip home. I was thinking about you this morning and how much you'll enjoy being home with your kitties.
Your dad came by my classroom just before he left to take you to the airport and he was centimeters away from crying. He's been a happy guy having you here. And I'm glad that I could cover for him, he said the two of you had a nice time together.
And I was glad to hear you hit Mama's Minerals while you were here. I'm only been there twice (in the same day) but I enjoyed it.
I'm on hiatus from jewelry making, even though my 6 month old kitten assures me she would be a great "help" to me. God Bless you Ali. Have a safe trip home.
I asked a student how to say it in Spanish. She can say it - but she can't spell it for me. Via Con Dios - so that's my interpretation.

Narrator said...

Great times are deserved by Ali.

I'm looking forward to reading some of your reports once you get home. You not blogging regularly is, well, sad.

Susannah Conway said...

oh sweetie, it's always so hard to say goodbye :-( i'm sending lots of cuddles to help you on your journey... and have fun with Tara - take lots of pictures so we can join in too ;-) x

Kristine said...

It must be incredibly hard to say goodbye or see you later to your parents! I get teary sometimes saying bye to my mom - and she lives only 1.5 hours away...
I hope the trip has been a good one and like many, I can't wait to hear all of the details and the newly gained perspective, having left Africa and now arriving back.
You have been missed!

Safiya Outlines said...

I'm glad you had such a nice time. Hope you have a safe journey home with an enjoyable Parisenne interlude.

Michelle said...

There are parts of Albuquerque that I just love. It would be hard to leave so soon, I'd imagine. My friend Leslie, who has lived in Africa for 18 years now, experiences the same after a visit "home".

Alina said...

Leaving home is always hard, no matter where your new home is. Sometimes I feel like crying when I have to leave my mom's although she's only 60 kilometers away.

sara said...

I hope you made it back safely...and that it was good to be home, in the jewel of a home you & Rico have worked so hard to put together.
Thinking of you and hoping to hear more about your return, soon.

Anonymous said...

In my case, I wanted to come back so badly! Although I spent great moments with my family I miss, I wanted to go back "home"...
Strange, eh...