Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Awkward Moments, or How I Acquired a New Taste

The scene: An invitation from my friend T. to join her for dinner at the house of a Dutch man who does lapidary work on Mozambican gemstones.

Awkward Moment I

We realize, after drinking a coke and some juice and throwing about much more conversation than is socially obligated, that food is not in the plans. Unfortunate, given that we'd understood this to be a dinner invitation. Especially unfortunate considering I'd spent the entire day at the plantation with my crazy boss who doesn't eat lunch, and was completely ravenous as a result.

Awkward Moment II

Dutch friend: Would you like some wine?

T.: I don't mean to be rude, but is there going to be something to eat? Because I can't have alcohol on an empty stomach, I'm still recovering from the party this weekend. If there's a snack available, I'll have some wine, otherwise just another coke for me, thanks.

Dutch friend: Oh, did you expect to have dinner?

T.: Noooo! I just brought Ali over to look at your gemstones.

Dutch friend: Well, I can make you a specialty from the Netherlands! We will have croquettes.

T.: Ummm, I don't really know what that is, but I don't eat pork.

Dutch friend: Let me check the package. If there is no pork in the ingredients, we will have croquettes.

Ali la Loca (thinking): I don't care what's in the damn things, please feed me!!!

Awkward Moment III

After confirming there is, in fact, no pork or semi-hydrogenated pork products in the croquettes, we move to the living room to have a look at the guy's impressive gemstone collection. I am completely enchanted - imagine a table full of rough and cut aquamarines, tourmalines, topaz, rubies, emeralds, apatite, iolite, amethyst, garnets, sapphires and more! Total heaven for a rock and mineral geek like me.

But I am also starving, so my attention is fully directed to the basket of french fries and sausage-type things the friend finally brought out for us. T. looks at the croquettes and mouths to me across the table, "I don't eat beef, either!"

"That's okay," I say. "Just eat some potatoes and I'll have the sausages."

Unfortunately, the friend serves the food for us, a crispy breaded sausage for T. and a long, thin one for me. I dig into my food, and poor T. does her best to camoflauge the fact that she hasn't touched the sausage. Inevitably, at some pont, the friend catches on.

"Oh. You don't like the croquette."

"No!!" T. protests. "It was just too hot when I cut it open. See?" And to prove her point, takes a valiant bite of the beef-laden sausage.

However, she is unable to eat any more of the thing. When the friend excuses himself for a moment to the other room, T. hisses across the table, "This has pork in it! I can taste something funny. It's pork!!"

The friend returns and sees the nearly-whole sausage still on T.'s plate. "You don't like it. I knew it. It's okay."

Sheepishly, T. admits she suspects the croquette is made with some pork.

"That's okay," I say. "I'll eat it for you," and hungrily take the sausage from T.'s plate. I take a bite and enjoy the crispy breaded coating that contrasts with the almost creamy meat filling.

The Dutch friend looks puzzled. "I'm sure there is no pork in it," he says. "I looked at the packaging! This croquette is only made with beef and horse."

"HORSE????" T. and I yelp simultaneously, swinging around to look at the man with carbon-copy horrified looks on our faces. "This is made with HORSE??"

My stomach turns into a spin cycle, and I can tell by her face that T.'s is doing the same.

Then I realize how ashamed the poor guy looks, how red his face has suddenly become, how he has slumped in his chair and his neck has disappeared into his collared shirt under the weight of his bowed head.

I decide to play the diplomat.

"Ah, horse," I say, as if it were the most normal thing in the world to be offered as a compensation for a dinner that never materalized. "I used to eat horse all the time as a child at my grandmother's house in Italy. It was considered a realy delicacy," which is a semi-truth because they did indeed serve it on many occasions, but I was always too finicky to muster up the courage to try the stuff.

I wonder if he knows I'm lying. I realize, somewhat horrified, that I'm going to have to eat the horse croquette if I wish to pull off the story I'm spinning.

"Just eat it," I tell myself, having flashbacks of all the times I've been in a similar situation. I try not to think of the horses we had at my dad's house when I was a child.

I manage to get down the entire thing, except for one bite which I leave on my plate to give the illusion of politeness. I could eat more, but the awkwardness of the situation has made it imperative that T. and I make a timely exit.

After saying our goodbyes, T. and I head to the car and have a good laugh at the whole evening once we are around the corner and certainly out of earshot or sight.

"I'm so sorry!" T. says emphatically.

"It's okay." I assure her. "I really liked looking at the gemstones. It was a nice night overall."

"Do you want me to take you to Mundo's to get something to eat? Poor thing, you were starving when we got there."

"No, it's okay. I'm not really hungry anymore...that horse sausage was actually really good!"

We start laughing again and replay our synchronized "HORSE!?!" exclamation a few times just for kicks.

"I can't believe you liked that stuff," T. says, shaking her head.

Quite honestly, I can't either. It seems totally wrong, but then again, it was in a similar situation that I first discovered how tasty intestines can be. On a regular day, no way I'd eat such a thing. But under the right circumstances - after a day of work with no lunch, or when fried and put inside a tortilla with a bit of chile and eaten at 3am on a Juarez streetcorner after a hard night drinking - anything is possible in terms of culinary appreciation.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest story! I'm glad you handled it so well!

Anonymous said...

Now I bet TRACY won't be eating any meat at all! Great story.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes yoou write T., other times the whole name :)
And about the horse... Well... it's food. I'd taste some, but I don't know how to cook it or else I'd buy downstairs at the market. There's donkey meat too, never taste it either. That one looks weird for me ;)

Anonymous said...

Gack...horse meat would be a tough one...but you handled it wonderfully...and I am gem geek too...I would have loved to see that!!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Meg - I wonder if the friend thought the situation was handled well...he seemed pretty embarrassed even after I ate the darn thing.

~Anonymous - Oops! I thought I'd edited the name out, but I was very tired when writing this. Oh, well...

~Jo Ann - Yes, I caught the mistake, thanks. Though now it's registered in the comments. :)
There are still several things I am afraid to try...tounge, brain, snake. I don't know if I could do donkey, either, though it makes no sense because if I can eat horse I should be able to eat all variations of horse.

~Stacie - You would have gone nuts seeing all the stones this guy had. They are all from Mozambique, and he is 1 of only 3 people in the entire *country* that does lapidary work. The gems are all exported rough...

Linda said...

They have shops in France that sell horse meat. It looks very red and low in fat. I've never had it and I think fewer and fewer people eat it here but they keep hamging on-especially when mad cow disease pops up.

Lacithecat said...

Oh gosh that made me laugh so hard that I nearly lost my tea all over the keyboard. You know, those good kind of belly laughs. In my halfway state, I think that bodes well for the rest of my day - I start handing over my position at the charity. The poor guy only has four days to understand it all ... it will never work.

But I think i will pass on that food.

Smile ...

Francesca said...

I LOVE horse meat! Especially in the summer, when you eat it minced and raw, just lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Next time you'll come to Italy, you will be my guest :)

jenica said...

hehe. that is so funny and yet so disgusting all at the same time! i love how you labeled all your awkward moments. hehe

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Linda - If I could get over the psychological component, I'm sure it would be one of my favorite meats because of the low fat/disease free aspects you mention.

~Lacithecat - Glad to be able to provide entertainment, my dear. Hope the job transition goes smoothly.

~Francesca - There may have to be some grappa involved in this proposition. I'll accept horse disguised in a sausage, but *raw*?? Ooooiihhhh, coragem!

~Jenica - Yes, I felt funny and disgusting for most of the night. :)