Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

This morning I am feeling very tired. I had a terrible time sleeping last night, first because of the torrential rain and lightning storm that started around 2am (prompting me to run out of bed half naked and make a mad dash for the verandah to haul in the cat boxes before they got soaked by the rain), then because Pria was acting posessed and wouldn't stop doing her ambulance meow and trying to get inside the drawers of my wicker bureau.

I finally gave up around 5:30 and hauled myself out of bed and made a pot of tea.

The sky is still gray and heavy outside. The cats have thankfully calmed down somewhat (a big breakfast of chicken helped, I imagine), and I actually quite enjoyed a leisurely morning surfing the internet.

I'm going to make some pancakes with black currant jam, then I am off to work.

I've had an interesting week thus far - after an improvised crash course in the importation and exportation of new and used goods, I've been assigned to design a standard operating system for each process. I've put together a really cool manual in PowerPoint for the import process (by far the more complex one), and will be presenting it to Hugh Marlboro this morning. One of the smaller companies in the Empire is dedicated to Clearing, and the systems I'm putting together will become their operating guidelines.

I never thought I'd find standard operating procedures a thrill, but I suppose it's no surprise that having a big-picture look at a particular process, then translating it into an organized system is supremely satisfying to my semi-neurotic, ultra-nerd personality. :)

In a similar vein, I also think I would have enjoyed being a software engineer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great that you're enjoying working for this company, Ali. I think this is number one requirement not to think of other options: to feel good and appreciated where you are.

Hope it stays like that for a looong time :)

Anonymous said...

Software engineers eat their young.
Dad

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Alina - For sure. I hope it stays like this for a long time, too. I just had a great day today at work. It's amazing what this kind of attitude and feeling of appreciation and recognition does for my motivation and productivity.

~Dad - You'd better hope that none of my friends are software engineers!!

JP (mom) said...

Nerds are the new cool :) Glad that you're enjoying your job, Ali. Peace, JP/deb