Friday, October 19, 2007

Marketing at Its Best

Every night at 6:30, some guy walks in front of our building whistling the mCel jingle. It is like clockwork, and supremely annoying.

I must admit, however, that the mCel marketing team has put together an exceedingly effective campaign. That whistle gets stuck in your head and never leaves, providing the perfect auditory accompaniment to the increasingly common sight here in Mozambique of houses and shops painted bright canary yellow and spotted with green smiley faces. They will paint your exterior walls for free if you are willing to accept the mCel corporate logo as your new decorating scheme. From the rapidly changing palette of the country's streets, this seems to be one popular deal.

This evening, to my total horror, Ricardo whistled back, thus starting a call-and-response session in which the guy on the street would whistle the first half of the jingle and wait for the mystery whistler on the third floor to complete the musical phrase. After a couple of rounds, I shot Rico a look that instantly got the point across. I wonder, had I not been at home to discourage him, how long the interaction would have lasted. It was the whistling equivalent of that classic "pigs in the haystack" knocking pattern. You know, dum-da-da-dum-dum....dum-dum!

I can only imagine the night whistler's disappointment when Rico leaves for Rio on Monday and he loses his mCel jingle partner. For all of my talents, I am completely unable to whistle.

4 comments:

Fabiano said...

Wow!
Acabo de ler seus posts desde Julho/2007 até esse aqui. Você escreve increvelmente bem.
Incrível eu ter chegado até o seu Blog. Bem, eu cheguei até ele procurando informações sobre expatriados em Maputo.
Meu interesse em Maputo surgiu de uma proposta de emprego como Economista, que estou estudando.
O que eu achei muito interessante é que você morou aqui em Maringá, cidade onde eu nasci, e voltei a morar há cerca de dois meses, depois de quase 3 anos vivendo na Alemanha.
Adorei a descrição do córrego que passa nos fundos do Colégio Nobel, (risos) embora ele não tenha mais tanto mal cheiro.
Parabéns, vou continuar a acompanhar seu Blog.

Abração

Fabiano

Safiya Outlines said...

You meanie, spoiling Ricardo's whistleathon. ;)
Whistling is great. Whenever I'm alone in a room with good acoutics, I often like to whistle. Twisted Nerve theme (from Kill Bill 1) and the theme from Disney's Robin Hood are my favourite whistles.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~I love haagen dasz - Oi Fabiano! Que coincidência! Imagino que se a gente sentasse pra falar um pouco, ía descobrir que temos um monte de amigos em comum. Estou curiosa sobre a proposta de trabalho como Economista aqui...já tomou uma decisão? Pode me mandar um e-mail com quaisquer dúvidas sobre a vida de expatriados aqui em Maputo. Fico feliz de que você encontrou o meu blog, e obrigada pelo elogiu. :) Beijos!

~Safiya - Maybe, deep down, the reason I spoiled the whistleathon was because I am jealous of everyone's whistling abilities! Hahaha.

Ali Ambrosio said...

quer dizer..."elogio". some days I can't spell in any of the languages I speak!