Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sunday Scribblings: Time Machine

Sometimes I just want to go back, to see if I can find some of the colors and smells and friends that I know were part of my life. I remember very little about my childhood, especially before about age eight.

Most of my memories I know I've created from the photos my mom keeps in a shoebox. I falsely remember my pony Shorty, my red snowsuit with rainbow piping, the summer heat while fishing for trout at Shady Lakes, the trip to Amsterdam where I wore a dress with a numbers print and stared out the window of a ferryboat.

The things I do legitimately remember are scarce and quite blurred.

I remember picking blossoms off the geraniums my mom used to grow in whisky barrels in the sunroom. I would make bouquets of white, red and magenta flowers. For my mom to have been in that house, it was before I was six.

I have random flashes from the summers spent at my grandmother's house in Italy. I remember eating calamari out of a brown paper sack at the beach, the long driveway up to her house flanked by walnut trees, the musty smell of her attic full of African masks.

I recall making mud pies with my neighbor Janelle, and picking apples from the orchard behind the house where I first lived. I remember our ugly old dog, Dolly, who had curly grayish fur and short legs. We had four other dogs, including one who adored me and supposedly would wait at the gate for me to come home, but sadly I don't recall Lobo other than from photos.

I remember one day at school a girl called Brooke got a massive bloody nose as we sat cross-legged in a circle on colored carpet mats. I must have been eight or nine.

I also remember that as part of a class assignment that same year, we had to do a show-and-tell presentation. I brought in a plant that had striped light and dark green leaves and occasionally would produce clusters of red and yellow berries. I don't remember its scientific name, but my memory of this plant is clear enough I'm sure I could find it if I took enough time on Google.

I have flashes of other things: my bookshelf full of toys and books, the white lace-up Easter shoes I'd wear on special occasions, the feeling of sleeping on a high 4-poster bed that I could barely climb up on by myself, eating roasted cashews after trips to the doctor's office for yearly immunizations...

Perhaps most interesting are the things I don't remember.

I have no memories of my mom and dad together. I don't recall any details of their separation or divorce. I don't know how the process went when my mom and I moved to Albuquerque from the country house we lived in when I was born. If I'm not mistaken, my parents split when I was five years old. I realize it's early to remember anything with clarity, but I'd imagine I'd have at least some recollection of our family life before that point...

Sometimes I have the distinct feeling that there is something from my childhood that, if I could only begin to remember, would unlock a lot of my current struggles. Perhaps if I could travel back in a time machine, back to those essential early years, I could at least know where to start my work.

13 comments:

Granny Smith said...

This an absolutely genuine and moving take on the prompt! I am glad to make your acquaintance, even if it is one-sided! We seem to share many interests. My home is California but the second country of my heart (and home from time to time) is Brasil. I am also writer, translator, and jewelry maker. A few moments before booting up, I put on one of the necklaces that I have made that is almost identical to the second one down on your sidebar.

I didn't mean to make this personal. Your piece is flawlessly written yet full of feeling and reflection. I'll look for you again!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Granny Smith -- a very lovely post.

ummi said...

I love your post. It's simple yet poignant and touching. I am a single mother of seven children. I was separated when my youngest was bearly 2. He is now 5 and asking questions about his dad and why his family isn't the normal one with a mom and a dad. Your writing really really touched me.

Luv
Shakirah

Vanessa said...

ali, i love this post. it's so nicely written and sincere. it's poignant and full of great imagery and the last paragraph? i could have written those very words myself.
Vx

Linda said...

I remember little of my childhood as well. My sister will sometimes jog my memory about something. I'm not sure if it is self protection or not. My parents never divorced but I think the beginning of their marriage was very rocky.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what we don't remember may hold important insights, you're right there

Alessandra Cave said...

This is a very good post! I had a really good time traveling back in time with you ~

Footpad said...

Memory is a tricky thing, isn't it? Things that were so important when we're younger fade without our knowing it, let alone knowing why.

Why is it that some things stick clearly while others fade?

Your post touched me on multiple levels. Many of my childhood memories come from a scrapbook I once had containing old photos. It disappeared over the years, but I remember the photos, if not the moments they were taken.

Also, my youngest daughter was three when her mother and I split up. I worry about what she remembers and how those memories are spun to her.

When she was three, she asked lots of questions about what had happened. I still see her struggling to understand the differences between her homes.

Thanks for a very thought-provoking post.

-- f

Mrs A.ok said...

o Ali, you are a marvelous writer. Your post made me so sad because I barely remember anything good about my childhood and I dont have any photos either.
Well the only vivid memories was of me on my horse. Mmmm, thats some great memories. For the rest, epa....

No but really, its good to reminisce but it will come when you let it, dont fret.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Granny Smith - What cool coincidences. What is your connection to Brasil? I'm glad you made this comment personal.

~Mandi - Thanks, girl.

~Ummi - Wow - seven children. I'm a bit in awe here. I think separation processes are made easier if you have siblings; I'm an only child, so it makes the memories even more difficult to conjure up.

~Vanessa - I think the last paragraph is what is at the heart of many an adult struggle. It's amazing how much childhood holds the secrets to what we search for in our later years.

~Linda - Yes, I think self-protection has a lot to do with not remembering certain things. When you know something, you then must act on it (or choose not to act, a difficult choice in and of itself).

~Crafty Green Poet - For sure!!

~Alex - I need to catch up with your blog, girl. Estou em falta contigo!

~Footpad - One of the things I wonder about the most is what I legitimately remember, that nobody could have told me or that there are no photos of, and what is falsely created memory from stories or pictures. When I think about childhood in these terms, I remember honestly next to nothing!

~Anel - This post was, in large part, inspired by you. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your Sunday Scribbles! Any chance of anymore teenage diary entries?

I can remeber events very clearly from about the age of 4 onwards, though my first memory is when I was about 3.

Turner said...

Ali, very nicely done. I've been imagining doing so in any number of ways... suddenly I just fall into the middle of a class and become eight years old again, or maybe I'm like a ghost, only the observer, but unable to change what was...

I'm still working on getting the parts for the DeLorean.

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

people that have travelled in so many places like you, and so many houses to call home, it gets so difficult to be able not to miss a thing... :(

Beijo meu, e bom domingo...

A Elite