Friday, April 22, 2005

TooMuchToDo!

I feel like my already busy life has been playing in fast-forward these past few days. I wake up at 8am with my mind in a swirl, to-do lists and appointment times repeating over and over, being modified as the reality of all that I have to do sets in. Luna bars, coffee, and Emer'gen-C are the staple components of my diet right now, backed by healthy doses of adrenaline and stress. I put so much time and effort into planning this trip, but even so it seems that I'm perpetually four hours behind schedule. I STILL HAVE SO MUCH LEFT TO DO!!!

I tried to take a nap this evening and couldn't fall asleep, despite my total state of exhaustion. That's when you know it's bad. You can't even get 20 good minutes of rest until everything is checked off, shipped out, and squared away.

My day started out early, depite traces of a hangover from downtown with the brasileiras last night. Leticia and I drove up to North Austin to get my car appraised by a brasilian friend that owns a dealership, then I raced to Vickmay Day Spa for a mini facial and swedish massage. I booked the appointment over a month ago, anticipating the frazzled state I would be in five days before the big move. God, was it a nice break. I made myself put all neurotic tendencies aside and just enjoy the lavendar oils and meditative music before hitting the errands again two hours later.

My friend Jesus gave me *the best* going away present the other day. I have a small obsession with Mr. Natural, this delicious vegetarian mexican restaurant down the street, and have eaten there at least twice a week since moving to Austin. Jesus' family owns the place, and he surprised me with a gift certificate for free meals at Mr. Natural from now until I leave!! So after my spa break, I had tofu sunflower tamales, black beans, and fresh strawberry lemonade for lunch. I plan to stop by for sweet potato empanadas and horchata early tomorrow morning so that I have an extra incentive to get out of bed.

After lunch I went back to the car dealership to seal the deal and sell Phoebe. (We name cars in my family...Inga the Volvo; Pia, Uma, Bibi, and Luna the Saabs; Petey the PT Cruiser, Bob the orange pickup.) It was more sentimental than I'd anticipated to part with my car, but I was happy that she went to a good home. The car dealer's sister, who just had a baby and needed a 4-door sedan, bought the car on the spot and paid me cash! I feel like I have a fatty bank account right now, but I know the bills are going to roll in next month in a big way.

My friend Carmen gave me a ride to the airport and I rented a car to use for the rest of my time in Austin. It's amazing what a luxury it seems to be driving a Dodge Neon. Nothing like power steering and a cd player with good speakers to keep me going!

Erin came over around 7:30 and we made some coffee, put on makeup, and prepared for the latest adventure: a mini road trip to San Antonio to see Juanes in concert!! It was a super show that deserves (and will get) a post all of its own once I get a chance. Suffice to say the night delivered in true Erin-and-Ali style.

It's way too late right now and I keep thinking that I'm spending too much time on writing and not enough time on packing boxes. Gotta get some sleep, even if my dreams are peppered with the same list of errands that has been reeling through my mind nonstop. Tomorrow is wholly dedicated to goodbye celebrations, and I have to wake up early and drive to the lake with all my good friends in tow.

Buenas noches mi gente!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was an awesome weekend Ali!!!
I loved it!!
Acho que todas as celebrações foram alto nivel!! Domingo passei o dia me recuperando!!! ahahahahahaha
Muito bom!!
Me liga quando tiver menos busy!
Beijosss

Anonymous said...

PHEW! reading your blog makes me think about the shit i have to do.