Tuesday, April 19, 2005

New Heights of Laziness

There's something about moving that not only brings about new levels of slothfulness, it also provides a sweet justification. I think we all can agree that I have a bit of a messy side, but honest to God - this is getting out of control.

My house looks like a hurricane swept through several times, scattering books and art supplies and clothes in its wake. And why would I bother actually folding the laundry or shelving my clutter when I'm going to turn around and pack it all up tomorrow? That would just be illogical and a waste of precious time.

Use actual silverware and dishes? Hah! Not when I'm too lazy to handwash and don't want to waste energy with the dishwasher. My meals from now until I leave the country will be either 1) take out, 2) on paper plates/in plastic cups, or 3) in the form of protein bars. Good, balanced nutrition I tell you.

The height of this newfound laziness can be seen in my bedroom. Granted I don't make the bed every morning, but I do regularly wash the sheets, change the duvet cover, and tidy up when company comes. But now...now that I have no visitors and I'm shipping everything out to California, I can't seem to find the motiviation to even put a fitted sheet on my bed. I'm currently sleeping directly on top of a foam egg-crate mattress pad, covered only by a crocheted blanket my stepmom made when I was in college. Forget sheets or pillow covers or hospital corners! And secretly I'm loving it - some of the best sleep I've ever had. I never knew that foam could be so downy soft and comforting...

*** *** ***

So the theme of the day is dropping lots of cash on stuff for the move. In the space of 3 hours, I spent:

$65 on beads, pliers, stringing wire, and clasps for my jewelry making (taking it all to Africa - I have visions of making elaborate tribal necklaces with local beads)

$19 on yarn and knitting needles (making a blanket for my god-daughter who will be born in June, shortly after I arrive in Chimoio)

$98 on boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, and dish protectors (why is it so damn expensive?)

$1,115 on global health insurance. (necessary, but hopefully unnecessary)

Good thing I'm selling my car on Friday otherwise I'd be squeezing the last drops out of my bank account right about now. I'm always amazed at how expensive it is to move!!!

Well, I'm off to pack and clean. Leatrice is coming over tonight to pick up about half of my furniture and my tv. At the moment, you can't see the surface of my kitchen table it is so covered with STUFF!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Ali!! I know exactly what you mean!! I think that's what scares me at most when I think about moving back to Brazil: PACKING!!! hahahahaahaha
What about starting up our celebrations on Thursday night???
I'll give you a call!!
Beijos