Austin to Africa, Brasil to the Bay

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Posted by Ali Ambrosio at 4/10/2005 12:58:00 AM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Labels: austin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

About Me

My photo
Ali Ambrosio
Jeweler. Artist. Translator. Traveler. I started this blog in 2005 while living in Austin, Texas. I was about to move to Mozambique to work with some friends I'd met while in business school in Brazil. (There's a lot of geography in my life story!) Initially my blog was a way for me to keep in touch with family and friends while in Africa, but it soon became much more. I met hundreds of people because of my writing, many of whom were also moving to Mozambique and looking for support. Over the years I chronicled my work in international development, my growing passion for making jewelry, career change and art school, starting my own business, and peppered throughout the beginning and end of a major relationship. Nowadays I'm still writing, still traveling, still making art, and my heart is full. This next stage is all about family and love, the places we are from and the paths we have chosen to follow, and the complex mix of what constitutes home and identity.
View my complete profile

My Jewelry / Art

  • www.originsandroutes.com

Popular Posts

  • The Jewelry Fever Continues
    I am so lucky - not only do I know what I am passionate about in life, I've also been able to make a fair living at it thus far. It seem...
  • Latest Designs
    Dark blue freshwater stick pearls, satin finish glass beads Lilac japanese seed beads, iridescent handmade glass beads, 3-strand braid neckl...
  • On Becoming Boring
    It's a thought that crosses my mind frequently these days: I'm becoming boring. More accurately, perhaps, I already have. For so muc...
  • A (Relatively) Technology Free Vacation
    This is the longest I've spent without my computer or cell phone since I can remember. It's been wonderful, but being without my con...
  • The Glorious South Africa Road Trip 2006/2007
    From start to finish: 3500 km I have been promising for quite a few days that I will post photos from our road trip through South Africa. A...
  • Rain, Dogs and Cats
    Today is the third in a sequence of damp, relatively cool days here in Maputo. At night we are sleeping with a comforter, the breeze coming ...
  • Sunday Scribblings: Skin
    This is my favorite part of my skin. I got this tattoo on my lower back while living in Austin and I love it! I suppose the fact that I thou...
  • Sunday Scribblings: If I Could Stop Time
    If I had the ability to stop time I'd want to use it right now. I am 25 years old and live in Maputo, Mozambique. I have a challenging j...
  • The Story of Zeca
    When Rico and I first moved to Maptuo back in early 2006, we didn't have a car. We relied on taxis to go to meetings, to the supermarket...
  • Why You Should Wear Gloves While Gardening
    Photo from this site . Meet the Automeris illustris , the most recent resident discovered in the garden of the Casa Rosa. This impressive ...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2024 (1)
    • ►  February (1)
  • ►  2021 (1)
    • ►  February (1)
  • ►  2019 (1)
    • ►  March (1)
  • ►  2018 (6)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  March (1)
  • ►  2017 (2)
    • ►  November (2)
  • ►  2016 (37)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (2)
  • ►  2015 (18)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2014 (47)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (6)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (12)
  • ►  2013 (24)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2012 (31)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (4)
  • ►  2011 (67)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (9)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2010 (126)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (11)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (19)
  • ►  2009 (118)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (8)
    • ►  April (22)
    • ►  March (14)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (7)
  • ►  2008 (159)
    • ►  December (13)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (13)
    • ►  September (12)
    • ►  August (18)
    • ►  July (5)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (22)
    • ►  April (11)
    • ►  March (16)
    • ►  February (16)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2007 (179)
    • ►  December (9)
    • ►  November (18)
    • ►  October (19)
    • ►  September (17)
    • ►  August (13)
    • ►  July (24)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (13)
    • ►  April (14)
    • ►  March (20)
    • ►  February (14)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2006 (215)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (15)
    • ►  October (21)
    • ►  September (15)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (30)
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (26)
    • ►  April (22)
    • ►  March (9)
    • ►  February (13)
    • ►  January (15)
  • ▼  2005 (143)
    • ►  December (12)
    • ►  November (14)
    • ►  October (17)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (23)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (21)
    • ▼  April (21)
      • R-R-R-R-Rio de Janeiro
      • Last Days.
      • I got the truck!!!
      • TOTAL DISASTER averted
      • TooMuchToDo!
      • Austin is Already Weird
      • I Hung Out With Leslie Tonight
      • Lord Help Us All...
      • New Heights of Laziness
      • Carlos delivers a reality check
      • Goodbye #1: Dad Comes to Austin
      • Job Hazards Redefined
      • I love you, Prevention!
      • Dad in a field of poppies outside Fredericksburg, ...
      • No title
      • Brunch at South Congress Cafe this morning with my...
      • The Swingset in the Sandias
      • How to Leave Comments on my Blog
      • Okay, I admit it...I'm afraid
      • My Apt in Austin
      • Lightning Storm and the Adventure Begins

Subscribe To

Posts
Atom
Posts
Comments
Atom
Comments

Labels

adventure adventures africa africa the unit afs agriculture airplane alexandra amaro algarve Ali Amaro ali amaro gallery all about la loca america angola angra dos reis animals antique apprenticeship architecture Argentina arizona art art school arts astronomy austin authenticity azul azulejo babi baby balance bay area beach bff birthday blacklivesmatter blast from the past blog life blue body body image bolo tie bones book three books and films botswana brasil brazil budget bureaucracy california capulana casa cali casa rosa cats cca celebrity celestial cenote ceramics change changes chile Chimoio china chinese chrysocolla church color color balance colors community compass computers conflict connections contemplations craft creative credit card fraud cross-cultural observations cuba culture shock custom custom jewelry dad dance death desert digital fail disaster discount display divorce diy dogs doors douro valley drawing dreams earthquake employment of foreigners enamel entrepreneur entrepreneurship environment europe evora exercise expat life explore facebook faceted fado family fashion and beauty favelas fear fiction fitness flora and fauna flora and fauna poisonous floral food food and cooking france freelance life friends friuli frugal funny gallery gemstones gender geneva geology geometry ghana giveaway global problems goals gold grief haiti hands happy health heirloom heirloomrepurposing history Holiday holidays home home improvements home office honeymoon housing i am a consultant i am a nerd i am a translator i am an artist i am an author identity ilha de moçambique impermanence interior design interpreting invisalign isla mujeres islamic italy jeweler jewelry joburg journal project journalism justice kauai kenya kittens kizomba l labor law languages leaving mozambique life in mozambique lisboa lookbooks loss love macabre map maptuo maputo marketing markets marriage married life materials maya meme mendocino metalsmith mexico money motherhood mourning movement mozambique Mozambique Island mrs ambrosio murals music my own business nature navigating nevada new job new mexico new york nia niemeyer obama ocean old friends organization organizing Origins and Routes ornament painting paintings pattern peci personal finances pharrell phobia photography piano pilates playa del carmen poetry point richmond point to point politics polo porto portraits portugal portuguese post-cca life power ring pregnancy press process procrastination project A pt2pt quit your day job racial politics random rant recycling red reflection relationships religion repurpose richmond rico ring rio de janeiro road trip rockhounding rocks and minerals ruins running sailing sale salsa san francisco santa teresa são paulo saudades saving schedule sculpture self employed separation Showroom shy shyness sketch slovenia small business snakes solo travel solo yolo soloyolo solstice south africa southwestern spirituality sports street art stress student exchange student life studio Studio belvedere studio life sunday scribblings sunrise sunset surface design swaziland switzerland systems tattoo taxes teaching technology textiles texture the boys thoughts on development work tiles tofo tourism trade beads traditions translating travel travel and tourism tulum turquoise tutorial usa vanity venezia venice vietnam vignette violence vision volunteering wall art war against clutter water waterfall weather wedding planning wine women workspace world cup writing yolo yucatan zeca Zimbabwe
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.
Watermark theme. Powered by Blogger.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails