Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Rain, Dogs and Cats

Today is the third in a sequence of damp, relatively cool days here in Maputo. At night we are sleeping with a comforter, the breeze coming in the bedroom window finally refreshing instead of suffocatingly hot, as has been the tendency for the past 5 months. We've even had a couple of short but pounding rainstorms, a sure sign that the seasons are changing.

They say that Mozambicans are more afraid of rain and dogs than they are of cars. I laughed the first time I heard someone make this observation back in Chimoio on a particularly rainy day, thinking he was just trying to make small talk. Now, after multiple opportunities to see how Mozambicans tend to react to water from the sky (Run madly for cover as if the drops were composed of battery acid), dogs (Freeze immediatly in place and look down, preferably with your hands over your face. If you can't see the dog, it can't see you and therefore won't attack), and cars (No problem. A several-ton hunk of metal speeding recklessly down the highway is no cause for concern. Feel free to waltz out into traffic with your children in tow, ride your bike across several lanes without looking, or take your herd of goats out for a stroll fully occupying the tarmac), I now understand the root of the saying and am 100% in agreement.

I've discovered in recent months that, along with dogs and rain, many Mozambicans are also afraid of cats. The reaction is much the same as it is for dogs - stop in your tracks and cover your face with your hands. I will never forget the plumber who came over to fix our bathroom sink and freaked out about the boys. When he saw Pria lounging on top of our dining table, her yellow eyes staring back at him, he collapsed onto the sofa as if his knees had given out from underneath him and proptly shielded his eyes with his hands. Somehow the poor plumber managed to stutter to Rico in a hushed voice, "O s-s-s-ehnhor gosta de g-g-g-ato p-p-preto?" You like black cats? He said it as if we had a box full of cobras or some other equally dangerous beast in the middle of the living room. Thanks to the plumber, "Gato Preto" has become our new favorite nickname for Pria, said in a throaty voice and reserved especially for those occasions when she behaves not like a sweet housecat, but as if the devil itself had posessed her.

I wonder what Mozambicans would think of our expression in English, "It's raining cats and dogs." I'd imagine that the idea of not just water but cats and dogs falling from the sky must be, for the locals, a pretty close approximation of armageddon.

14 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

I loved reading this insight into Mozambique society, Ali. I agree. The idea of raining cats and dogs would inspire terror in locals.

Mehmet said...

Nice blog.Commnets are impressive.Would you like to visit my blog as well?here is address www.phototerm.blogspot.com

Masood Ahmed said...

A hilarious post. I enjoyed it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Miss Ali - thanks for the story. I love rain, storms and cats. Come to think of it my cats love rain and storms, from the other side of the wrought iron door. They even like the thunder and they'll stay at the door watching the bluster and goings on until I finally have to shut out the rain.
The description of Mozambican families is one I'm going to share with my class today - all moms themselves.
Kim in Albuquerque

Unknown said...

Hi there

I enjoyed reading your blog.

I was wondering if you would be able to help me with some information.

I don't know anyone that lives in Maputo and hence I am using the Internet as a tool for gathering information about Maputo. I am formulating a guidepack for our expat clients. The company I work for is Relocation Africa.
If you think that you could offer me some assistance. Would you please drop me an e-mail on carms0808@yahoo.com.

Sorry for the long comment.

Yours sincerely,
Carmen Naidoo
Cape Town

deedee said...

It's funny how so many expressions just don't translate into another language. Or the love of pets. Do people in Mozambique have domesticated house pets?

kanuthya said...

Ehehe
I love black cats, mini versions of black panthers without the spots which you can only see at close range :)
I'm not one bit afraid of cats or dogs, and you must already know I'm an animal freak, but... I must confess I'm terrified of thunderstorms (blushing)
Xi-coração carinhoso!!

Bilal said...

lol:)

Left-handed Trees... said...

This was hysterical...and how you tied the whole story up at the end (quite a storyteller)! I hope you know how much I apreciate coming here get a glimpse of your side of the world.
Love,
D.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~AnnieElf - I'm curious to see what locals' impression of the saying is, but I can already imagine the crazy looks as I try to translate it into portuguese.

~Emre - Not sure if you are spam, but thanks all the same.

~Masd - I enjoyed writing it!

~Kim - Glad you enjoyed this. I like storms, too, but our cats definitely don't.

~Carmen - I've just sent you an e-mail and would be happy to help.

~Meredith - Some people have big dogs, like Rhodesian Ridgebacks or German Shepherds. They serve the dual purpose of security and companion. Occasionally you find someone with a small yappy dog, but pets really aren't popular. I don't know any Mozambicans that have cats, for example.

~Alforge - I love black cats, too. All cats, actually. Sometimes I am scared of thunderstorms, but only when there is lightning close by.

~Bilal - Thanks for the laugh!

~Left-handed trees - Thanks for the compliment. :) I had a really fun time writing this, and the end just sort of popped into my head as I was winding down - not at all planned beforehand.

Anonymous said...

I am a half Mozambican, half British 24 year old living in London. I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog, I feel like it provides me a link with everything that’s going on in Maputo (where all my mothers family are) and It’s nice to read about familiar places. I only lived in Mozambique for a couple of years when I was younger, but obviously my mother and her family are from there, so I visit every couple of years and have a great love for the country. I was really disappointed by your recent comments about Mozambicans being scared of rain and cats and dogs. While obviously humorous for you and other readers, I found them quite offensive. I guess I do have to remember that your blog is written from an expat view, but I felt that you were treating Mozambicans as if they are an extremely strange and odd group of people with weird traditions and bizarre superstitions. When I lived in Maputo I remember me, my family and my friends all having dogs as pets, as well as cats (I had 11 at one stage- a couple of which were black) rabbits, goldfish and any other pet you can think of! I’ve also never seen Mozambicans freeze in terror at the sight of a dog or faint at the sight of a black cat. I just feel that with these types of generalisations, all the people reading who have never been to Mozambique will get a very skewed opinion of what people are like there.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Moira -

First, thanks for your comment.

The saying about rain and dogs and cars is not something that I invented or heard from another expatriate – it’s a Mozambican saying about Mozambicans. Multiple people from here have said it to me in one context or another, and it’s always been presented in a humorous light, an opportunity for Mozambicans to self-reflect on certain cultural traits and have a good laugh at the core of truth – however large or small – around which all stereotypes and sayings are built.

While I appreciate that you have never encountered a Mozambican who is afraid of dogs or cats, my experience has been quite different. In the 2 years I've been here, I've watched countless people freeze in their tracks when confronted with a dog, especially back in Chimoio when we had 3 sweet Ridgebacks that would scare the bejesus out of people on a daily basis. Also, the plumber is not the only Mozambican to have had a similar reaction to our cats. Many people that have come over shrink away from the boys and have commented that cats aren't really appreciated here.

Nonetheless, the point isn’t lost on me that this saying is based on generalizations to which there will always be multiple exceptions. Still, you worry that my blog will give my audience a very skewed perspective of what Mozambicans are like. I think my readers are savvy enough that before using my one funny post about Mozambique as the basis for their evaluation of the entire population, they would at least read through my archives to see if they can find any other, more serious stereotypes on which to base their judgement. Because, you know, all I do on here is generalize about a culture that is not my own. No introspection. No thoughtful, sensitive observations about my experience here. No objective information for prospective residents. Nope, none of that.

As for your concerns that I am "treating Mozambicans as an extremely strange and odd group of people with weird traditions and bizarre superstitions," Girl, I dole that hand out evenly. I wrote about the weird Brazilians and their belief that hot coffee followed by a cold shower will cause your brain to crack. I’ve mentioned my crazy family members in Italy who believe that air conditioning will kill you and that a draft of air is caused by an evil spirit in the house. Not even the Mexicans escape from my discrimination: those fools eat mango lollipops covered in salt and chile.

As with everything I write on my blog, this post was not meant to offend. When you add humor in the mix, however, this is a difficult thing to achieve. Somehow, somewhere, somebody is bound to take offense…

Safiya Outlines said...

I thought it was a funny post anyway. All cultures have their strong likes and dislikes and I find it very interesting to hear about it.

david santos said...

Hello!
Thanks for you work. Have a good weekend