Sunday, February 11, 2007

Saudades Trapped in Song

Listening: “Open” by Bruce Cockburn.

Remembering: Life in Austin, driving by myself along Farm-to-Market Routes, watching a state that wasn’t mine slowly grow on me.

I always used to listen to a radio station called KGSR. They played a mix of music totally different from that played by my station of choice back in Albuquerque – Viva 101.7, featuring all the best in Pop en Español. When I moved to Austin, my song horizon widened inadvertently with all the country and folk influence in the city. KGSR was my favorite teacher, and I learned all about Lucinda Williams, Waylon Jennings, Steve Earl and, of course, Willie Nelson.

One day as I was driving to work, a song played on KGSR that immediately resonated with me. I had no clue who the artist was, but there was something about his sad fiddle and earnest singing that perfectly captured how I felt about Austin and everything I’d been through the previous year to get me there. This was my introduction to Bruce Cockburn.

Doing: Writing and editing for the final draft of the feasibility study we’ve just done for FAO. For the last several months we’ve been evaluating different scenarios for the development of the Maputo Green Zones, agricultural belts within the city where some 15,000 smallholder producers grow vegetables for local markets and their own consumption. Currently all production and sales by the smallholders are on a very informal basis. We looked at different ways FAO can support the Green Zones producers to organize their production and establish market linkages, thus increasing their incomes and improving nutritional status.

Realizing: That I am starting to really like Mozambican / Angolan music. Rico and I bought a little boom box the other day and have been listening to the radio quite a bit recently, a first for both of us. I’ve always loved Afro-Pop songs, but some of the passada, zouk and marrabenta styles that are so popular here were very slow to grow on me. Sort of the same way I absolutely hated most pagode songs in Brasil until having a fabulous time at Carnaval with a group of friends and actually establishing cool memories to go along with those songs in my head.

I think it’s a definitive point when, as an expatriate, I actually start liking the music of the country where I’m living. It is usually a sign that some subtle internal balance has shifted, adapted to the fact that “home” is now in a different geographical location. It’s a sign that I’ve stopped totally evaluating my life in a new country through the lens of an outsider. I’m ready to hear songs not as a manifestation of a novel, exotic culture that I don’t understand, but as a catalyst for memories of caipirinhas with the girls, long days with Rico sweating in our non-air-conditioned home office, and occasionally, if it’s just the right rhythm and sweet lyric, of the way I’ll one day look back on the time I spent in Mozambique, a foreshadowing of the saudades sure to come.

8 comments:

sara said...

Bruce Cockburn brings back memories for me, too -- my college roommate & her brother & I listening to his song "All The Diamonds" and singing along with it: "All the diamonds in this world / That mean anything to me / Are conjured up by wind and sunlight / Sparkling on the sea..."

Alina said...

A very interesting of looking at local music. As usually people hear the music written in one country and then experience the country itself, therefore the like/dislike of the music is prior to any opinion on the country itself. But I did experience many situation in which a music I did not particularly enjoy grew on me with time.

Anonymous said...

Tell me tell me!
What Angolan songs??? :P

Safiya Outlines said...

Please, please can you find a link to a site where we can hear these wonderful sounding types of music! I'm so curious to hear them.

P.S Hope the boys are better :)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Telfair - I'm going to look this song up on iTunes. I have a feeling I'll really enjoy it. Thanks for sharing this sweet memory.

~Alina - I guess the whole phenomenon of music growing on me has much more to do with popular music (i.e. modern, commercial, played incessantly on the radio and in clubs) than it does with traditional styles. Before going to Brasil, I loved old samba and MPB - it's the new wave of Carnaval pagode style that I had a hard time taking in.

Here it's the same thing. I love all of the traditional music (and even heard many Mozambican songs before moving here). It's the new rap/zouk styles that I had a hard time with...

I suppose you could compare it with someone learning to like N'Sync or Girls Aloud or Paris Hilton's music - not necessarily based in talent, but after a while it can actually grow on you.

~Jo Ann V. - I have no idea who the artists are, but they play a ton of Angolan music on the radio and in clubs here. I don't even know the lyrics properly, but maybe you can guess from these pathetic bits I can remember (I think they are 2 songs by the same artist):

One goes, "Ele é patrao..."

Another is something like, "Ela é ----- gostosa, ela é ---- boazuda..."

Seriously, I have no idea what the words are but I could sing to you if it were possible over a blog!

Also, I love Paulo Flores, but I knew him before coming to Moz...

~Safiya - Help, I have no idea where to find this kind of technology. I remember you made a request some time back to hear music, and then I did some searching and came back pathetically empty-handed. How do I put music on my blog??

Ah, the boys are doing much better. Recovering nicely and, so far, seemingly calmer.

Amber said...

All the places you live seep into your bones. Music is like that...Music is deep in our bones.

I love Willie and Waylon. Once, my mom an dI partied with Waylon after one of his last concerts...It was a little surreal. No one has a voice like that guy had. Pure classic.

:)

paris parfait said...

Lovely post, Ali. It's so true that certain music marks points of our lives and we forever associate it with those times. Happy Valentine's Day to you and Rico!

alphawoman said...

I read this the other day when my AOL was on the blink and I could not sign on to Blogger! This hit a cord with me. It does take a "bending" of sorts to allow a new place to enter your heart. Unless it is somewhere like Paris or Ireland. Then it was always in your heart!