Friday, February 02, 2007

Exciting Times this Week

* I finally got a haircut. I had the woman chop off all the grown-out-highlights-turned-blue, which took a good 4 inches off my hair. While at it, I asked Sra. São to go ahead and give me bangs. Yes, bangs. Fringe. Franja... I love it!!

* Jenny and I have started going to a cha-cha-cha class taught by a Cuban professor named Felix. The students range from ex-professional dancers to a poor boy who kept speeding up the cha-cha-cha part and raced through every step sans rhythm. The graduates of the cha-cha-cha class then have the option of moving on to the salsa class. I can't wait.

* I ate a delicious pineapple cream tart today. For breakfast. While waiting for Jenny and crew to pick us up to go to the beach. We're not going camping, but we are getting some sand and sun at a nearby place called Macaneta. No speedboat necessary to get there, just a batelão, a floating platform of a ferry where the cars load up to cross the bridgeless Inkomati river.

* Yesterday I received a lovely shipment of beads and silver from my Uncle and his family via DHL.

* And speaking of mail, I received not one but TWO holiday cards in the mail a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe it. One was from Paris Parfait in France, the other from my friend Gaby in London. I nearly keeled over from the shock of it all. There are absolutely no guarantees, but anyone inclined to test out the postal system here is welcome to give it a shot.

* Exciting, but not in a particularly good way, is that Pria has sent us several pointed messages in the last week. First was an epic piss on our bed that soaked through the mattress and took an entire bottle of bleach to burn out the smell. Following that episode we decided to discipline the cats (is this even a plausible concept?) and keep them out of our room for a while. The result? A massive turd pile on the wicker armchair, neatly hidden behind one of the throw pillows. Had I not seen the smallest little smudge of shit on the cushion, I can only imagine what might have happened had a guest come over and decided to sit on that chair.

* In other news about the boys, they have learned how to open the door to our bedroom. Three times now we've gone to bed with the door firmly shut, only to wake up in the middle of the night with a snuggle or a meow. How they are managing to do it I can only imagine, but the boys are certainly resourceful when so inclined.

* Beach time!! Have a great weekend.

9 comments:

Safiya Outlines said...

I thought my cats could be naughty, but yours....!

Have a lovely time this weekend. I am also off to sunnier climes to meet the in laws - wish me luck!

claireylove said...

Ah - you joined the fringe club;-)

where's the pic?!!!

alphawoman said...

Show us a picture of your new do!!I mailed a post card to myself from Mexico two weeks ago and it has yet to arrive!!!

Annie Jeffries said...

Looking forward to see pictures of you with the new "do". Your cats are unbelievable. They make one of my past cats look like a total piker. LOL

Left-handed Trees... said...

I want a picture too--so much sweetness for you this week...and then the cats, oh my! You are so incredibly patient with them...they are lucky to have you as their owner...hope you've had fun.
Love,
D.

JP (mom) said...

There is something quite disturbing about your vengeful cats ... opening doors now? I'm beginning to think they're possessed!

Enjoy the beach! JP

Alina said...

hehe, your boys are nasty! Great choice with the cha-cha-cha classes, I imagine it is pretty relaxing. Have fun at the beach!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya - I know, they're terribly naughty. Sigh. Have a wonderful trip and good luck meeting the in-laws!!

~BB - Yes, I'm officially a member, though my fringe is a bit sparse and wispy due to general lack of hair on my head. :)

~Alphawoman - Pic coming up soon. Mail can be so funny. My friend Jenny just told me about a letter somewhere in the UK that just arrived a couple of weeks ago, only it was posted back in the 60's!

~AnnieElf - The boys are terrible, but so sweet at the same time. I guess this is their way of "acting out" from childhood trauma - being tossed out in a garbage can. Either that or they're just plain naughty.

~Left-handed trees - Yes, patience is the key word here. It was a very sweet week. HOpefully this will be a trend for coming weeks.

~Jane Poe - Last night they opened the door again. I think it's Pria, the most naughty one, who is managing to lean on the door handle.

~Alina - Thanks, the beach was great. Cha-cha is so fun, we will be going again on Wednesday.

Kristine said...

Your life sounds delicious these days!
I can't wait to see your hair and I think it is cool that you are taking a dance class!
As for the boys, my cat learned to stand on his hind legs and use his front paws to open the bathrooom door. We eventually had to get one of those things parents put over doors to childproof it. (It's a plastic cover that simply spins instead of allowing them a chance to grip the doorknob...